Impulse buying and cash register sweets

Options
I'm an impulsive person. That means I sometimes do things on the first thought without thinking first. I do things on a whim.

And sadly, this includes buying sweets at the cash registers without thinking.

Any ideas on how I can stop myself from impulse buying stuff?

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Are there any lines to the cash register that don't have sweets? In the UK most supermarkets don't have sweets at the register anymore. It really helps - don't see it don't want it.

OR I guess you could put the sweets in your basket.... Then take them out and put them back!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I make a list and shop with cash. Can't buy it if I don't have the money in my pocket for it.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    Are there any lines to the cash register that don't have sweets? In the UK most supermarkets don't have sweets at the register anymore. It really helps - don't see it don't want it.

OR I guess you could put the sweets in your basket.... Then take them out and put them back!

Wouldn't that get me some strange looks... :tongue:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Make a list. Buy what is on the list. Exercise self control.
  • Leana088
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Simplicity itself...

Now if only I can actually do it. But, try try again. Hopefully I'll get there one day..
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    I'm an impulsive person. That means I sometimes do things on the first thought without thinking first. I do things on a whim.

Yep. Simply tell yourself no and walk away. That's all it takes.

You have power over those cash register sweets, they do have power over you. :)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Maybe... but it's better than eating them though? I honestly do this sometimes. I'll just go and hold a 500g bar of galaxy chocolate or a huge pasta dish. Then read the calorie info. Then put it back and get something smaller/better.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Simplicity itself...

Now if only I can actually do it. But, try try again. Hopefully I'll get there one day..

Oh my goodness these messages need changing!

Tell yourself:

I can do it.

Just for today I choose not to buy cash register treats.

You can do this!

• Leana088
    Options
    I only allow myself one sweet a day. So at the moment I buy them, and then give them away. It's a solution, but kind of an expensive one.

At least the people I give them to like me a lot now...
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I only allow myself one sweet a day. So at the moment I buy them, and then give them away. It's a solution, but kind of an expensive one.

Well, that is a solution then.

Yes, enjoy your sweet a day. I love my daily treats. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Simplicity itself...

WOpf0Sf.gif
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I shop with cash now and have every dollar accounted for, before I step foot into the store. This leaves no room for impulse purchases :) My main grocery store is Meijer, which also has a large non-food section (like a Walmart Super Center, but way cleaner lol). Before I started using cash I'd go in with a grocery list and walk out with new shoes, clothes and other random stuff I didn't need. Starting to pay in cash took care of the issue.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Lol, I got my daughter to stop asking by buying her stuff she didn't like to eat. She hates mints, so that's all I bought till she stopped asking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I only get one if I'm seriously craving one (like right now a Skor bar sounds great)...otherwise? I remind myself that I have better quality stuff at home.
  • Leana088
    Options

Simplicity itself...

WOpf0Sf.gif

Yes - may the force be with me. LOL
  • Leana088
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I got my daughter to stop asking by buying her stuff she didn't like to eat. She hates mints, so that's all I bought till she stopped asking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I should start buying olives...
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I find I am less likely to do that when I am shopping with other people, my husband, my kids, my best friend. Maybe I don't want them judging. Can you bring anyone with you? Obviously not forever, but just to help you change the habit.

You can choose the less offensive stuff too like the sugar free gum is tasty, won't ruin your day and might curb your need for sweets.

I sometimes distract myself with my phone, while in line, so I won't start looking and wanting that stuff. I stay busy answering text, or get on Facebook.

And I have a healthy snack before I go, so I'm not shopping hungry.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Sounds like you already solved your problem. I personally think that going through the process (and money) of buying them, and then giving most of them away, shows some pretty good discipline.

For me, it's easy to walk away at the store. Unless I'm starving...then, I just want to buy everything. The real struggle is at home.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Those candies and crackers get to me too.

I saw the term "rage shopping" on another thread and laughed because it decribes me exactly. I loathe grocery shopping. The whole time I'm in the store I'm angered by the other shoppers' inconsiderate behavior and the screaming tantrum children. I swear, I may end up on the evening news one day.

Anyway, by the time I get to the checkout line I'm very irritated and I begin to think I deserve a treat. So now, I plan ahead for a reward for having run the gauntlet, but I don't get those candies at the checkout line. I usually pick something out from the produce department to eat on the way home. My grocery store has some ready-to-eat cut up fruit in small plastic bowls. I may get a bowl of watermellon cubes or pineapple. Messy, but I have plenty of napkins in the car.

Edit: Oh, and the bowls of fruit have the weight on the label!
  • Leana088
    Options
    Sarasari wrote: »
    I find I am less likely to do that when I am shopping with other people, my husband, my kids, my best friend. Maybe I don't want them judging. Can you bring anyone with you? Obviously not forever, but just to help you change the habit.

You can choose the less offensive stuff too like the sugar free gum is tasty, won't ruin your day and might curb your need for sweets.

I sometimes distract myself with my phone, while in line, so I won't start looking and wanting that stuff. I stay busy answering text, or get on Facebook.

And I have a healthy snack before I go, so I'm not shopping hungry.

I need to try the phone distraction thing. I LOVE reading online forums or browsing Deviantart for drawing inspiration. They capture my attention.

I usually take my friend with me too sometimes, but I'm quite generous and I always get an urge to spoil her when she's with me. So I still buy them. She's also the one I give them to if I buy them "by accident". :) So that doesn't help too much.