5am workout?

Options

Replies

• beachkriscat
    beachkriscat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Find whatever works for you that you can stick to. Me personal, if I don't get my exercise done in the morning, I won't do it.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Why is working out at 5:00 am being crazy?
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you work out at 5 am you get it over & done with. Years ago, I went to the gym at that time when my family was sleeping. That's what worked for us.
  • jsnyder320
    jsnyder320 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm up and working out at 430am, for me it is the only time of day that I am not working or taking care of the kids.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I prefer evenings myself. But if my schedule were such that I could only do it at 5 or 5:30, then I would totally do it that way.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There's no actual benefit doing it at 5am as opposed to 5pm. It's about what works for you!

Me personally? Nothing short of horses and work will drag me out of bed before the sun. Early morning workouts/runs (as in before 7 or 7:30) aren't as beneficial for me because I'm still tired and pretty unmotivated...and always end up doing less than what I really CAN do.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not crazy at all. I don't think there is a bad time to work out. Some of my work outs are at 4:00 AM, others are at 7:30 or 8:00 PM. Whatever time fits into your schedule works :smile: I do prefer my early morning workouts better because I feel like it really sets one up for a successful day. Although the night ones are good too because I sleep like a rock.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There's no actual benefit doing it at 5am as opposed to 5pm. It's about what works for you!

Me personally? Nothing short of horses and work will drag me out of bed before the sun. Early morning workouts/runs (as in before 7 or 7:30) aren't as beneficial for me because I'm still tired and pretty unmotivated...and always end up doing less than what I really CAN do.

This is me. I will not get out of bed early to work out, no matter how hard I try. I'm an after-work person. I'm much happier when I stop trying to force myself to work out at the "wrong time."

The best time is the time that fits your life and your preferences.
  • waldronsix
    waldronsix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I set the alarm everyday with intentions of getting up early to go to gym or go running but i cant seem to drag myself out of bed. I hear its supposed to motivate you for the whole day. I go after work and it makes my life so hectic to squeeze that in. But i need my sleep!! lol
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around 6am, but am considering 5am tomorrow if I can get to bed at a reasonable time. ;)

I prefer an early work out, it puts me in a good mood for the day ahead, and I really struggle with evening workouts. As you can see above, though, tons of people would struggle with early. It's just a matter of what works for you.
  • puja25
    puja25 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If that routine helps you then why not. I wake up at 5 and exercise from 6 am to 7 am . If getting up this early is natural to you and fits your time and everything else that you do than this is what you should follow. However I must admit that I feel very sleepy by 12 pm . But I work out in an open air gym , I love the birds chirping and the cool breeze.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:30. Works for me. If I don't do it first thing it basically doesn't get done.

Me too, no excuses.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:50 a.m. to begin working out around 4 a.m. in my garage gym. I am a teacher, so I am dead tired come 3 or 4 p.m. But I am a morning person, so I think it's easier for me. When that alarm goes off, I don't even think about it, I just get up like a robot, get dressed, down my pre-workout and it's go-time! :smiley:
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Are their any benefits to working out super early like 5am?
    Would I be crazy for going that early?

Getting it done and over with.
    No wear from the day or unexpected crap to get in the way of your work out.
    If you have a family, Working out while they are still nestled in bed is an advantage your hobbies not interfering with family time.
    The gym is dead and only regulars show up at 5 am.
    If you haven't yet made dinner you dont have to worry about going home making dinner then heading back out to the gym.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Why not? I have a hard time working out late in the day because once I'm done at work and getting the kids fed and in bed, all I want to do is read or watch TV or whatever, just relax. I loved when I did 6AM Spin classes even though I had to get up at 5AM to get there on time because I had a great workout by 7AM, and I felt so awesome during the days after working out. These days I have to get up at 5:30 to get the kids to school on time, so I can't do 6AM Spin classes anymore :( I wish I could! I was a lot more likely to get a workout in if I worked out it in the morning.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your personal mind set. Are you a morning person and normally get up earlier than, say, your best friend? Do you wake up before the alarm goes off, perky and full of energy while everybody else just drags out of bed?

Or are you up all night and PRAY for just another ten minutes of sleep in the morning?

Let that be your guide. I, fortunately, don't have to go anywhere to get to the gym, just stumble (hopefully not tumble) down the stairs to my home gym. (I LOOOVE being able to do that when it's like 12 degrees outside!!)

My alarm is set for 4:10 a.m. My target is to be on the treadmill by twenty after. Usually I make it. An hour later, I shut off the tunes and the laptop (I read or watch movies while I work out), hit the shower, and get ready for work. It was pretty difficult the first few weeks. I had to move my alarm clock across the room or I would just <snooze> forever. Now the alarm clock is gone, never use it. Have an alarm on my smartphone but I never use that one either.

I adapt readily so going from midnight bedtime to eight, nine, or ten o'clock is not a real inconvenience. After a couple of months, it was just the natural order. So... is five o'clock weird? For me, that's sleeping in! So, no. Not weird. But the important factor is what's right for you. Morning? Afternoon? Evening? Choose the 'best', easiest and most convenient time for your workout. It makes it easier to stick to the schedule.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The gym isn't crowded, I can get on any machine I want and at the end of the workday my workout is already done. It's a lot easier to get tied up in the afternoon evening than it is at 5 a.m. when you can either sleep or workout. There aren't many other things going on at 5 a.m. to make excuses for.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get up every day during the work week at 4 am to workout (and just whenever on sat and sun). It took me a while to get used to it as I used to workout in the evenings, but now I love it. I only have to take one shower a day instead of two, it is done and I don't have to worry about it after working all day, it is cooler in my house in the morning (good for summer), etc...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are their any benefits to working out super early like 5am?
    Would I be crazy for going that early?

Logically, how would there be any benefit to 5 AM vs 5 PM?

I personally think 5 AM is crazy but there are plenty of morning people out there. I have way more energy in the evening...my lifts suck in the AM.