When a Bulk Become a Recomp

Options
So I'm weighing, checking numbers, all that, and something occurs to me.

Suppose you miss your goal for the day, or you've got the wrong surplus dialed in for a week. The scale stalls. Does that mean your "bulk" has turned into either the leanest cleanest slowest bulk ever or you've basically downgraded briefly to a recomp?

I understand putting such a fine point on these things is... not useless but maybe overthinking it.

Still it seems to me if one is progressing their training and their caloric surplus wavers and occasionally falls to maintenance, then it's still a net positive.

Is that accurate?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    So I'm weighing, checking numbers, all that, and something occurs to me.

Suppose you miss your goal for the day, or you've got the wrong surplus dialed in for a week. The scale stalls. Does that mean your "bulk" has turned into either the leanest cleanest slowest bulk ever or you've basically downgraded briefly to a recomp?

I understand putting such a fine point on these things is... not useless but maybe overthinking it.

Still it seems to me if one is progressing their training and their caloric surplus wavers and occasionally falls to maintenance, then it's still a net positive.

Is that accurate?

No, it is not accurate because a recomp takes longer than a week.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So it's just... nothing? No progress is made in either direction?

Edit: That seems unlikely. If the body is in a constant state of tearing down and rebuilding and burning calories and parceling out ingested calories then certainly something occurs, even if we're talking about fractions of ounces.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How long have you been at it? Your maintenance could be catching up with you - if you stay the same after another week or two, I'd up cals again.

Just remember, it's the same as losing, you get fluctuations.

Edit: sorry just read your post properly :$ what ndj said. A week isn't long enough to recomp, you're just wasting your gains, not hitting your surplus. And your argument doesn't matter, if you don't have enough energy to shuttle amino acids where they need to be then you're not going to gain muscle, just spin your wheels.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    @3laine75 Been about three and a half weeks. I'm running a 14 day average on the weight, which is trending upwards but sloooowly flattening out. I actually decreased my surplus by about 100 calories a few days ago because I was looking at a little over a pound a week of gain.

A lot of people advocate .5 pounds a week or less. What's your take?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    @3laine75 Been about three and a half weeks. I'm running a 14 day average on the weight, which is trending upwards but sloooowly flattening out. I actually decreased my surplus by about 100 calories a few days ago because I was looking at a little over a pound a week of gain.

A lot of people advocate .5 pounds a week or less. What's your take?

what are your goals?

if it has been three weeks and you are not gaining then you need to increase calories, not decrease them.

if your goal is to build muscle then you need to eat a 250 or 500 calorie surplus...

people advocate a half pound a week gain because it minimizes fat gain ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Edit: That seems unlikely. If the body is in a constant state of tearing down and rebuilding and burning calories and parceling out ingested calories then certainly something occurs, even if we're talking about fractions of ounces.

yes, it is nothing no progress in either direction.

A recomp takes anywhere from six months to a year < that is my understanding.

• keithcw_the_first
    Options
    dv5qydnh1odn.jpg

My goal is to hit a 225 1RM on the bench. Or, realistically, when I get back above 200-205.

That's my charted weight with the dotted line as a 14 day average. The arrow is where I cut my surplus by 100. My goal was to just slow it down a little bit. It looked like I was heading closer to a pound, pound and a half a week. I want to get more out of this bulk before I hit the point where I need to cut down and try again.

Oh, and the green diamond is when I switched from "I need to keep losing weight" to "There's no muscle under here; I need to put some on" and started bulking.

And yes, I committed the sin of not labeling the Y axis. Each line is one pound.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You are over thinking it. I you come up short 1 week just continue on to the next week like you were supposed to. If you we at maintenance and and trained like normal and you gained or lose and oz of muscle of lost or whatever what difference does it make? You need to not look to get definitions to label the non completion of your goal and just do it right the next week.

1 week is not a recomp. 1 week is nothing in the grand scheme.

Okay -- I value your advice because you always seem to have the right answer.

I thought I was coming in too hot. I'll add the 100 calories back to the surplus and continue evaluating. I guess the way the trend is going I'm on target for three pounds in April, which would be about right.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You are over thinking it. I you come up short 1 week just continue on to the next week like you were supposed to. If you we at maintenance and and trained like normal and you gained or lose and oz of muscle of lost or whatever what difference does it make? You need to not look to get definitions to label the non completion of your goal and just do it right the next week.

1 week is not a recomp. 1 week is nothing in the grand scheme.

Okay -- I value your advice because you always seem to have the right answer.

I thought I was coming in too hot. I'll add the 100 calories back to the surplus and continue evaluating. I guess the way the trend is going I'm on target for three pounds in April, which would be about right.

three pounds would be a hair over .5 gain per week so that is just about where you want to be. I don't think it is possible to ever have the number be exactly. 5 gain per week....

Keep eating, lifting, and taking measurements....
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Thanks!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You spent a week at maintenance. :) no problem really. Just adjust whatever needs adjusting and continue with your program.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You see how your graph - when you were losing weight - wasn't linear?

Guess what - it's the same for gaining. Just going the opposite way.

• keithcw_the_first
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You see how your graph - when you were losing weight - wasn't linear?

Guess what - it's the same for gaining. Just going the opposite way.

Sucks.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Whatever progress would be very minimal and no, it's not something you'd be able to tell.

You are overthinking this and focusing on the wrong things.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've had to adjust calories a few times in the 7 weeks I've been bulking. No biggie. You are keeping track, so you can adjust as necessary. I second the 225 bench. Mine has always sucked. However, like MrM27, my true love is Deadlifts :)
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    I have a tendency to overthink things.

Bulking is actually a nice exercise in overcoming anxiety. Or attempting to.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No, it is not accurate because a recomp takes longer than a week.

Right! It takes forever- (okay seems like it).