Fish - Any hope in making it less....fishy?

Options

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Look for a white fish called pollock.
    I personally will not touch tilapia. Most tilapia is farm raised in China. Even the ones that are sold at Trader Joes. You can google what they feed them, it's gross.
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the recommendation to try ceviche. It's divine.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Is it crazy to think that if you don't like fish that you shouldn't force yourself to eat it? Eat something besides fish.

If you'd like a recipe though, I just drizzle some hot sauce and squeeze fresh lemon over some tilapia fillets, bake them for 10-15 minutes (depending on how many) and throw a slice of pepperjack cheese on top of the fillet when it comes out.
  • JT__99
    JT__99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fish fan either but when I do eat it I usually select Talapia. I put some creole seasoning on it and cook it on the grill, once done I add some lemon juice and it doesn't have the fishy taste.
  • vjessup
    vjessup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wild caught salmon is WAY less fishy than farm raised salmon. I've also found Pacific salmon to be less fishy then Atlantic salmon. I would never eat salmon until I tasted wild caught, now I really love it prepared anyway. My favorite is grilled with some blackening seasoning.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a great ceviche recipe :wink:
  • aeviescas
    aeviescas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My favorite way of preparing salmon (and my family loves it too!) is a simple soy sauce+garlic marinade for 10-20 minutes. Lower calories than teriyaki sauce!

If you like fried fish, try rolling cod in eggs and italian bread crumbs and then baking it. Not as greasy, but still tasty.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Oh my Cod! That's my favorite. Wild-caught frozen has been the least-fishy and most cost-effective for me. My new favorite cod recipe: ohheylookatthattheydeletedthepagerawr... Just look in my recipes, it's there.
    Directions: add all but the fish, cilantro and snow peas into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover & simmer about 30-35 minutes, until rice is al dente. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped snow peas (sometimes i add shredded carrots). Lay fish on top of rice, top with cilantro, cover and steam about 8 minutes until fish is opaque.

Mahi mahi + the mayo trick someone else mentioned = heaven. I like to herb my mayo if I indulge in this.
    Teriyaki salmon. Soy Vay makes a "VeriVeri Teriyaki" that is to die for.
    Steelhead trout, if available in your area, is a great alternative to salmon; similar taste, a little less fishy.
  • crappieg
    crappieg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cod is awesome and high in protein. Costco Cod thawed then stick in oven @ 400 for about 15 minutes. Season with Paprika. Very tasty, fresh and healthy without the fishy taste.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We have the same problem in our household, and I agree with the suggestions above. One thing I've learned that hasn't been mentioned yet is that fish is a tender meat that does not take so long to cook as beef or pork. Keep an eye on it and take it out of the oven as soon as it is cooked. If it flakes easily, it's done! It's a lot more pleasant to eat if it isn't tough or dry.
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat salmon try it without the skin. I have no idea how anyone eats that stuff with it. Pepper and lemon juice ir really good on it too. Salmon patties are another great option.

Tuna salad with light mayo, non fat cream cheese, and plenty of pickles is another really good one for me.

We don't eat a lot of white fish, but if can go fishing for bluegill somewhere those are delicious when lightly battered and fried as an occasional treat.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Do you like taste of garlic?

If yes, next time sprinkle some garlic salt/powder on the fish with the other spices you/ others mentioned. That will reduce the fishy smell. Also finely chop coriander over the cooked fish in the end.

I love playing around with spices.

If you wanna try Indian style cooking fish below are the spices to rub on to the fish
    1) Turmeric
    2) Garlic Paste if you are shallow frying or Garlic Powder/Salt if you are baking or Grilling
    3) Red Pepper Powder if you are shallow frying or Red Pepper Flakes if you are baking or Grilling
    4) Hint of Lime

** For those who want to go one extra step **
    5) a bit of tamarind - very very little bit
    I would also add Chopped Coriander.

• Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Swai has a less fishy taste and adding nutmeg to fish can make it taste less fishy. Just don't add too much or the nutmeg will overpower it
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    stick to white fishes, they tend to take the flavor of whatever you put on them a bitter than salmon
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've only found it to not be fishy when it's super fresh. Unfortunately if you live inland or don't catch it yourself you're probably not going to be in luck.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i absolutely hate fish... but when i'm cutting it's an integral part of my diet due to the high protein content.

my favorites:
    - tilapia cooked on the stove with some flavor god lemon pepper rub & lemon wedges (i try to just lemon the hell out of it so i forget i'm having fish)
    - grilled tilapia with a bbq rub
    - salmon on the grill... rub some brown sugar & fresh cracked black pepper on it & enjoy. hands down the best fish recipe i've had.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is a healthier alternative to deep fried fish, it works for my picky fish eater at home:

Lightly dredge white fish (cod, haddock, halibut) in a mixture of flour and seasonings. Pan fry in a small amount of olive oil until crispy on all sides. Squeeze some lemon over the finished product. It is not as delicious as battered fish but it has a similar taste and texture without all the extra calories from batter and deep frying.

You can also make a quick homemade batter and very lightly batter your fish and pan fry it. It will taste a lot like the deep fried stuff you get at pubs while giving you control of how much batter you use.

If you don't like fish, its not a total necessity to have in your diet. Look for other sources of the nutrients you are looking for in fish.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another vote for frozen. It's always fresh that way. I thaw it in the fridge overnight and cook it next day.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    My husband is a lobsterman and it's really true...the fresher the better and the whiter the meat, the milder the taste. I guess the real question is, why are you forcing yourself to eat fish if you don't like it? There are fish oil supplements that will give you the beneficial oils you need without wasting calories on food you don't enjoy eating. Buy good supplements and eat a protein you like better.