Impulse buying and cash register sweets

Options
2»

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tell myself it's not worth it. I look, I think, then I say "nope". Trust me, took a long time to get there - I was that person that would grab a Reeses PB Squared EVERY shopping trip, not even think about it. It only tastes good for seconds. Then it says on my hips, forever.

Oh, and NEVER go hungry. Even if you have to carry a pre-approved granola bar with you. The Grocery store is a dangerous place for someone who's hungry!
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I pick them up and look at the calorie info and then I put them back. I do this every day when I go to the store to get my water for lunch. I'm pretty sure the people that work there think I'm crazy. I haven't bought one yet but if one day I feel it is worth the 250 calories then I'll buy it, most days it isn't worth cutting back whatever else I have planned to eat for the day.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Figure out in your head how many miles you would have to run to 'earn' the candy bar. ~1 mile = ~100 calories. Ask yourself if you're willing to run that far today. If not, put it back.

Another technique is to buy the sweets that you REALLY want. So, instead of falling into the trap of the king size snickers at the register, get a bag of funsize snickers when you're shopping. Keep a sweets shelf in the pantry (and/or freezer) and on days you have enough calories to spare, eat a treat. It'll be easier to fit in funsize/single serving treats. All things in moderation makes it easier to say no to temptation on the fly.

Never go shopping hungry/with low blood sugar. You're more likely to buy chocolate and stuff it in your mouth before you've left the car park. You can also try chewing minty gum while you shop/some other flavor that doesn't go with chocolate/candy.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I probably won't help. I buy candy in bulk which usually makes it cheaper than what's at the check-out. I'm also pretty cheap, so it's got to be a really good bargain (Pipers has candy bars 2/$1 this week) or something I really want to spend $2 (regular size bar).

I guess I go with willpower and self-discipline, not meaning that as a knock against you because I could never give away my candy to friends.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, I got my daughter to stop asking by buying her stuff she didn't like to eat. She hates mints, so that's all I bought till she stopped asking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Genius!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    I'm an impulsive person. That means I sometimes do things on the first thought without thinking first. I do things on a whim.

And sadly, this includes buying sweets at the cash registers without thinking.

Any ideas on how I can stop myself from impulse buying stuff?

My approach to sweets/candy has changed drastically since I started this. I've become a snob.

I look at it like this: I can have a mediocre Hershey's bar, or I can save a bit and have something decadent - like gelato or high quality chocolate or a salted caramel brownie.

Calories are like money for me. I could buy the cheap costume jewelery, or I could work a little harder/wait a little longer for something that I'll enjoy so much more.

I've never had a single regret waiting it out a bit. I can't even remember the last time I had a candy bar. :)
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OP, read the nutrional info, start doing the math, and odds are it won't seem worth it. One candy bar = half my supper.
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What about buying a pack of gum instead? There are a lot of interesting flavors and they hardly have any calories. Usually if i'm out shopping and get the urge to buy a snack or chocolate, I buy gum and it works like a charm!
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Calories are like money for me. I could buy the cheap costume jewelery, or I could work a little harder/wait a little longer for something that I'll enjoy so much more.

That gives me an idea. If you are buying it and giving it away, why not start a candy jar? Every time you don't buy it, throw $2 in a jar and save up for something you really want. A new dress, concert tickets, etc.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    for me it is more than 1 hour of walking to negate the effects of that 300 calorie candy bar. In most cases I say it simply is not worth it and move on. But then again, If I have the calories, I might splurge. ;-)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I should start buying olives...

Sure, why not?

Instead of sweets I use high-flavour morsels for my treats. 6 olives show up regularly as one of my snacks. Sodium aside they aren't too bad. I made some spicy roasted chickpeas yesterday - I'll have a small handful of those today.

A nice crisp apple doesn't leave me feeling guilty like a chocolate bar would.

Try to find some interesting alternatives before you hit the check-out line and maybe the self-control will be there too!

Something that works for me... If I find myself being tempted by something that shouldn't be in my intake for that day, I look at the nutritional info panel. That almost always causes me to put it back, whether it's at home or in the store.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm great in the grocery store but Trader joes gets me all the time. Nuts? Sure why not, seaweed? Yes! Yum.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    250 calories for that chocolate bar? I'd have to run for half an hour to burn that off! Nope, not worth it today.

That's what goes through my head when face with this situation. Amazing how the self control kicks in when you realize the work involved to burn off a treat.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm an impulsive person. That means I sometimes do things on the first thought without thinking first. I do things on a whim.

And sadly, this includes buying sweets at the cash registers without thinking.

Any ideas on how I can stop myself from impulse buying stuff?

I'm really not all that impulsive, but I do over think buying something as a treat. Just yesterday I was considering getting a bag of baked lays 6 servings per bag at (I think 120 per serving) I picked it up, read the nutritional info, then picked up bbq (same calories), then the cheddar brand (same calories) then shook the bag slightly, sqeezed it to try to feel how much was air and how much was chips, then I thought to myself, damn the whole bag would be 1 serving for me @ 720 calories, I got anxious, put it back and walked away. I should have just got the snickers bar for 250 calories. I had enough exercise calories to have it and still would have only eaten 1/2 the exercise calories for the day. Haha, if you took the time to read my babble, you could imagine what I put myself through in the store over chips (baked ones at that) :lol: Next time I'm getting the snickers bar. For only 250 calories, why not. :smiley:

"squeezed"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Self control...if that doesn't work, send your hubby to the store :smiley: !
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Self control...if that doesn't work, send your hubby to the store :smiley: !
    no, he'd eat my snickers bar :lol:
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    My personal rule is that once I'm in the line, that's it, the trolley is closed. No more gets added. The shop is finished.*

Rolling my eyes at the dumb headlines on the stupid "women's" magazines like No Idea also works as a useful diversion technique.

* - unless I realise I've forgotten something actually important. Like the time I got the whole way around and then realised I'd forgotten to grab the potatoes.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Most supermarkets here in NZ have half their checkouts stocking candy, and half that stock healthier stuff like nuts, protein bars etc. I always make sure we head for one of those.