I'm too big to be losing weight this slowly!

Options
I've lost 13 lbs in 9 weeks which is rougly 1.5 a week... Which is a steady pace but at 300 lbs 5'7 and 25, I feel that is too slow. Don't very overweight people lose weight faster?

I've set MFP to 2 lbs a week and lightly active. Gives me 2020...

Replies

• pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs is normal and 13 lbs in a couple months is a great loss! MFP is good because it helps you lose weight at a reasonable pace. As you lose, your calorie allotment will adjust slightly and you should continue to lose at about the same pace. It may not be as fast as you'd like it, but it is healthy and has a higher risk for long term success because you aren't starving and you should be at a comfortable calorie adjustment. When I was at 267, I was losing the weight at about the same pace as I am now in the 190s. best of luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your foods? It could be a matter of consuming more calories than you think you are due to accuracy errors.
    You could also lower your calorie goal a bit. With your current goal, you have a good bit of wiggle room to work with. You could lower it just by like 100 calories a day and see how your loss goes with that.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    I've lost 13 lbs in 9 weeks which is rougly 1.5 a week... Which is a steady pace but at 300 lbs 5'7 and 25, I feel that is too slow. Don't very overweight people lose weight faster?

Your weight loss rate is more than good. If you are worried, I would look into (1) how accurate your logging is and (2) your lifestyle reallt being lightly active and not sedentary
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    That'll be 75 pounds in a year. Brilliant! ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started at about 280 pounds and in the first six months I think I lost thirty. And then I stalled for a while. You are progressing. Patience is king.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you're not exercising, start. Then, don't eat your calories back.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    try sedentary.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary?
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    *long sigh* .... Im definitely doing this in a very different way than I have in the past. So I'm going to try trusting the process!

I do need to be more accurate in my logging! But (don't laugh!) I was going to weight til I'd lost 30 lbs to tighten up on my logging... Lol idk. I think I've starved myself in the last and dropped 15 in a month. So in my mind I lose weight quickly
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

They can, but it requires a large deficit. Which....

...you won't get eating that.

Your BMR is going to be 1500-ish, there's plenty of room to go lower, if you want and if you think you can sustain.

• Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    But I'm going to keep working at it!! Thanks everyone....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1.5/week is totally fine--consistency and sustainability is the key. But one explanation is that sometimes when you have a lot to lose the calculators overestimate your maintenance calories (and related losses when they deduct 1000 from that). You can see this by comparing the Katch-McArdle calculation to the ones that don't take into account body fat and by playing around with the numbers you get with different body fat levels.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Could you possibly set your MFP to a sedentary lifestyle?
    Weigh all of your food and liquids.
    Dont eat your excercise calories back, UNLESS your belly grumbles and tells you that you are seriously hungry.
    Drink water and be happy YOURE LOSING weight and doing great!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Continue doing what you are doing. Slowly up your activity level to compensate for the fact that as you lighten up it will more activity to continue the same level of burn. When you feel ready, add strength training. Don't get into the cycle of further and further calorie restriction or get obsessive about hours of "cardio" a day. Make sure you get enough sleep.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Your rate is great. If you feel good and can accept this, I'd say, keep going!

That said, if MFP is set to lose 2 lbs a week, and you're losing 1.5, then there are problems somewhere in your numbers that amount to about 250 cals a day on average. So you maybe are underestimating your eating, or overestimating your exercise, or the calculator might be wrong about you (it's just a guesstimate, really), or maybe you are actually sedentary, or you've been double dipping (counting walking calories when those are already counted in the Lightly Active setting). Or a bit of a mix of these things.

Then there's this reason: Are you always on or under target? Because going over is fine sometimes, like, really, it is. But it will do things like this -- slow you down a bit. You'd lose 2 lbs a week if you hit your target every day, not if you hit your target usually but also go over on Easter and for Friday date nights and the odd time that there are treats in the office, etc. That's when maybe you lose 1.5 lbs a week instead (but are having fun).

Identifying and ironing out discrepancies can be useful later -- but don't worry about it for now if that seems overwhelming. You're losing at a good clip, which is great!
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Started at 281lbs in OCT last year, calories are set at 1525 per day, 51 lbs gone as of today.
    Water weight seemed to come off quickly at first, I lost 10 in the first 2 weeks.
    Then after that and ongoing 1.5 per week on average.

Tips:

1. Drink at least eight 8 oz cups of water per day every day. WATER
    2. Avoid "diet" drinks. They have chemicals and additives, water is better! WATER AGAIN
    3. Consume between 25 to 30 grams of fiber every day. FIBER
    4. Watch your sodium intake, too much salt and you will retain water. SODIUM
    5. Get enough sleep. SLEEP
    6. Move at least 30 minutes a day. MOVE
    7. Remember everyone is unique and you are doing soooo good! GOOD JOB!

Good luck! -Nancy
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your wt loss rate is great! Don't be fooled by watching super rapid wt loss on the tv shows. Those people workout about 8 hrs a day and their diets are very rigid. Something that happens a lot is that people easily under-estimate the amount of food they eat and they over-estimate the exercise. I'm guessing that if you bump up your exercise by burning one or two hundred calories more a day it'll make the difference and you'll be at 2 lbs a week. Or you can eat just one hundred calories less and exercise off just one hundred calories more and it will make up 200 calories more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My goodness, tighten up on your logging now, not later. Why teach yourself a bad habit only to know you have to break it down the road?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

If that's you in the pic, where are you carrying it, your feet or muscle? I'm just impressed, you look great!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

If that's you in the pic, where are you carrying it, your feet or muscle? I'm just impressed, you look great!

LOL, I'm fairly certain that's Rihanna.