Question about calorie intake

Options
My calorie consumption is 1200 a day. I just logged in my food for today and its saying that I'm under (by 262) and that I need to eat more. I thought that the 1200 meant to not go over and to try to stay under. Am I supposed to be consuming at least that much? Hope I asked the question correctly. lol

Replies

• strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You need to eat the full 1200 per day as that is the minimum a female should be intaking.
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your exercise activity. You need to eat more calories if your activity level is higher.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to eat exactly 1200 calories. That used to be my calorie goal but I changed my goals around and am now at 1300 calories which I think is better. So if I eat a few more then 1200 and am still under my 1300 goal then it's a win day! If it matters to you whether or not you are a few calories over every day then you should adjust your calorie goal to be slightly higher. If not then 1200 it is! The way I see it, 1200 or 1300 is a hell of a lot less than I was eating before and I have been losing weight consistently either way.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are supposed to be consuming AS CLOSE TO 1200 as you can. Technically most medical recommendations are that an adult female needs at least 1200 calories per day on average in order to gain the appropriate amount of nutrients required through food. There ARE variations to be considered for those with smaller frames, etc. and it has been argued over and over again on the site, but that is the standard, so that is the amount MFP gives you as a default.

If you exercise, you 'earn' more calories given the fact that a calorie deficit is already built into the program.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For best results, you should be hitting your target as closely as possible. It's ok to be a little over or a little under. If you're within 50-100 over OR under, that is excellent.
  • julie0477
    julie0477 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah you dont want to go too far under your goal. I got that once too - it seemed to think I was starving myself. Just try to stick close to your goal with out actually going over. 1200 isnt very many calories so you do probably want to increase it a bit if you went that far under your goal. And as others have said, it does allow more calories for recorded exercise. If it weren't for that I'd be way over every day!
  • Rleal418
    Rleal418 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks so much far asking that. I have been having the same trouble.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! With that being said, I'm gonna go make a salad.