I'm too big to be losing weight this slowly!

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing a great job.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think that is terrific progress. A 5% drop in body weight is a big change. Sounds like you have a good baseline. As you increase your fitness through adding exercise you may have some flexibility to either eat more or lose quicker.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    I've lost 13 lbs in 9 weeks which is rougly 1.5 a week... Which is a steady pace but at 300 lbs 5'7 and 25, I feel that is too slow. Don't very overweight people lose weight faster?

I've set MFP to 2 lbs a week and lightly active. Gives me 2020...

If that's you in the pic, where are you carrying it, your feet or muscle? I'm just impressed, you look great!
    Pahaaaaa! Lol that is Rihanna.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My goodness, tighten up on your logging now, not later. Why teach yourself a bad habit only to know you have to break it down the road?

You're right. I'm taking the plunge now.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

...you won't get eating that.

Your BMR is going to be 1500-ish, there's plenty of room to go lower, if you want and if you think you can sustain.

OP said she was 300 pounds. 2020 IS a decent deficit for someone that heavy with a lightly active lifestyle. I started at 320, and my daily goal was 2200. BEFORE exercise. Lost 50 pounds in 4 months.

Also, ignore the guy that said workout without eating back any calories. Yes, workout, because you'll feel awesome. And you have enough wiggle room to decide for yourself what percentage you want to eat back, but you want to teach yourself good habits NOW. You need nutrition to fuel those workouts, and netting stupid low amounts won't help you any.

LSS: weigh foods/log as accurately as possible. Start working out (if you don't already) AND eat back at least some of your earned calories. 1.5 pounds per week is great! Keep it up and enjoy the results!
  • samsimons16
    samsimons16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs in 9 weeks which is rougly 1.5 a week... Which is a steady pace but at 300 lbs 5'7 and 25, I feel that is too slow. Don't very overweight people lose weight faster?

• samsimons16
    samsimons16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just remember "One day at a time." This is a new lifestyle for you, not just a diet. If you lose the weight too quickly, your skin will sag and you are more likely to gain the weight back (been there!) I also found out I have an under active thyroid during my annual physical; maybe get yours tested? (Simple blood test) The weight is not "melting off" like I would like, but every day I feel a little better and a little stronger! Keep up the good work :wink:
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I started at 333 lbs and lost 13 lbs in my first 8 weeks. I am thrilled with my loss. I also know that it took me 20 years to get this fat. Losing it "slowly" is going to minimize the sagging skin, loss of muscle mass and increase my chances of keeping it off. I am also prepared to go weeks with no results or a slower rate of loss than I started out with. Since I weigh once monthly I don't know how much I have lost over the past 3 weeks but I know I feel wonderful, my clothing is looser and this week I had to tighten my bra to the tightest clasp to stop it from sliding up! This feels like a triumph!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Generally, the more you have to lose, the higher deficit you can get away with. As long as you get your nutrition in and exercise to retain lean mass, I don't see a problem with you going lower on your calorie goal.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I hear you saying you've lost lot quickly in the past but here you are again. I say this kindly because I'm with you in the same position. Maybe slower really is better and will be more sustainable. Sounds like we both need a bit of patience. I would call 1.5 a week huge success and try to keep that going.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! I agree that tightening up logging right now is a great idea. Here is a thread that helped me a lot when I started trying to tighten up my logging:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

I would just add that it's worth doing whatever you need to make it as convenient as possible to use a food scale. I keep mine right where I usually prepare my food. And I think of the scale as being as working in my favor and making sure I don't cheat myself. If I'm going to log 28 grams of cheese I want to make sure I'm getting all 28 grams!

Good luck!
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »

If that's you in the pic, where are you carrying it, your feet or muscle? I'm just impressed, you look great!

LOL, I'm fairly certain that's Rihanna.

ha ha, I should have known that. I did Rihanna. My bad oop's