Strength training and where your heart rate is.

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you following a weightlifting program? If you are not, find one to follow and follow it. It will tell you how to figure out how much to lift and how to progress.

Also this...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Interesting question. I actually did notice my HR going up after my sets as I progressed in weight. When I started squatting (3 sets of 5 reps), finishing a set felt like I just ran up a flight of stairs. Now, as I’ve added more weight, I feel like I just ran up 8+ flights. I don’t know if this means much to you, but my heart is basically beating out of my chest. I too progressed slowly because I always put form first. Also, I’m eating at a deficit, so this could always just mean I’m getting tired.

A lower HR doesn’t necessarily mean you’re not lifting enough, though, I don’t think. Your rate of progress is only based on whether you can finish your reps at the current weight, as I understand it. I personally would follow the lifting program’s progression instructions over anything else (I do Starting Strength).
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    snowy0wl wrote: »
    cwolfman13: this may be unrelated but how do you know when you are lifting 'hard' enough? I'm just beginning and never paid much attention to HR, but when I tried a really heavier weight then my HR shot up. Wouldn't that be better indicator that you are actually really working hard? I guess its simular to if you work out isn't i normal to get all sweaty?

The basic answer is, you know. Lifting weights is a very taxing activity. You’re struggling to keep good form for a set number of reps. The muscles are engaging more and more fibers as you go. And then you’re done. You can’t do another rep with good form.
  • snowy0wl
    snowy0wl Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm just beginning my strength training and I can immediately tell my left is a lot weaker than my right and simple exercises are activating the wrong intended muscles. I'm not sure if there is any other way to improve it other than keep to a low weight and focus on form till it gets better.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,538 Member
    Options
    Low weight and form are good, but if you feel one side is weaker than the other, try using dumbbells instead of barbells, along with split squats for legs, to catch up. This has the added benefit of working the core muscles harder at the same time to keep straight and stabilized. So if you do a set of curls, start with your weaker arm. However many reps you get with that arm, use the same weight for the same reps on your other arm, even though you'll feel you can do more. Don't worry about losing strength in your strong arm, because it won't take long for your weaker arm to catch up.