Vegetarian life helps lose weight?

Options

Replies

• rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    YES, calories in, calories out, as far as overall weight gain and weight loss. Bottom line. However, if gaining or maintaining lean body mass is one of your goals, good luck doing it with a vegetarian diet, as you are swimming upstream there--even more so if you are a vegetarian who does cardio instead of weights. That said, hormonally speaking it seems to me that women often have an easier time going vegetarian than men because of the differences in our body compositions and metabolism. Moreover, the type of exercises you do and your body composition objectives are factors too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It still all comes down to calories...you can be vegetarian and still overeat and get fat. I know a few overweight vegetarians.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Nope. Vegetarianism is not a weight loss plan. Hell, I gained weight as a raw vegan.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    JenD1066 wrote: »
    Nope. Vegetarianism is not a weight loss plan. Hell, I gained weight as a raw vegan.

ditto. Still vegan. CICO is what works for weight loss. Count your calories!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    YES, calories in, calories out, as far as overall weight gain and weight loss. Bottom line. However, if gaining or maintaining lean body mass is one of your goals, good luck doing it with a vegetarian diet, as you are swimming upstream there--even more so if you are a vegetarian who does cardio instead of weights. That said, hormonally speaking it seems to me that women often have an easier time going vegetarian than men because of the differences in our body compositions and metabolism. Moreover, the type of exercises you do and your body composition objectives are factors too.

Why would a vegetarian be swimming upstream when it comes to maintaining lean body mass?
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good answers. I work with a vegetarian who is as wide as she is tall... but then again, I've seen what she eats...
    a whole pizza for breakfast will put weight on anyone, veggie or not!
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As others have said, it's all about calories in vs. calories out. You can be the healthiest eater on the planet but if you eat more than your maintenance and don't burn off the excess, you will end up gaining weight. With that said, when I started losing weight the second time around, i went vegan (had been thinking about trying it out for a while anyways). In combination with using MFP I feel like being vegan helped me lose more weight, mostly because I can eat a lot of vegetables and fruit and feel satisfied and full and not use up tons of calories. Just removing the option of meat and dairy frees up a lot of calories for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think you need to look at @Sarauk2sf before you say anything about vegetarianism and lean body mass.

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Nuts are very calorie dense. I could easy binge on nuts if i was thinking about the calories.
  • rontafoya
    Options
    Why would a vegetarian be swimming upstream when it comes to maintaining lean body mass?[/quote]

Because it is difficult to get enough bioavailable protein from plant sources alone. I didn't say impossible--just difficult. Also, vegetarian diets are not exactly good for testosterone production. Personally, I've never seen a vegetarian get the kind of results I've gotten in the last 18 months with my quasi-routine.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Why would a vegetarian be swimming upstream when it comes to maintaining lean body mass?

Because it is difficult to get enough bioavailable protein from plant sources alone. I didn't say impossible--just difficult. Also, vegetarian diets are not exactly good for testosterone production. Personally, I've never seen a vegetarian get the kind of results I've gotten in the last 18 months with my quasi-routine.
    [/quote]

Not all vegetarians are vegans and eat only plant-based proteins. Some of us eat eggs and dairy.

I'd suggest you check out the profile of the woman I tagged in my post. She's an ovo-lacto vegetarian.

• rontafoya
    Options
    Eggs and dairy are animal products. You are attempting to snare me on a technicality. Eggs are about the very best source of protein there is. I eat about 18 of them per week. I would argue that her results have more to do with the "ovo" part of her diet than the vegetarian part. I eat a lot of veggies too. I also know both vegans and "lacto ovo" vegetarians who are weak and pudgy, not just due to lack of protein, but also because of the sheer amount of processed foods they eat.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eggs and dairy are animal products. You are attempting to snare me on a technicality. Eggs are about the very best source of protein there is. I eat about 18 of them per week. I would argue that her results have more to do with the "ovo" part of her diet than the vegetarian part. I eat a lot of veggies too. I also know both vegans and "lacto ovo" vegetarians who are weak and pudgy, not just due to lack of protein, but also because of the sheer amount of processed foods they eat.

I'm not snagging you on any technicality. Vegetarians aren't vegans. You're the one who made the error.

Also, now you're throwing in a straw man about junk food vegetarians. Well, I know a lot of meat-eaters who are "weak and pudgy" who have badly composed diets. What is your point?

Oh, you don't have one other than feels and your limited experience.

The bottom line is that anyone who pays careful attention to nutrition can compose a balanced diet no matter what way of eating they chose if they desire to do so. And that would even apply to a vegan who eats plant-based proteins. It would just take some extra care. But it can be done, in spite of what you think. There are vegan body builders out there.

I have a friend here on MFP who's in his 50's. He's lost a tremendous amount of weight, he's SHREDDED, and he's a vegan.

• rontafoya
    Options
    I only exercise 2.5 hours per week. Including no cardio whatsoever. I have lost about 40 lbs in the last 18 months, and gained muscle, and went from doing 2 pull ups, to 14. I am 46 years old. One of the main reasons for my results is my efficient, meat-laden diet. It is the most efficient type of diet for fitness. CAN you get results without meat? Sure. Just not as efficiently as I have achieved. I guarantee the lady in your example works out way harder and more often than I have to, in part due to lack of meat. I submit there is no way you can exercise as little as I do, at my age, and still get the kind of results I do without meat. And your 50 year old friend would probably have an easier time if he ate meat, in part because his testosterone would be higher and working more in his favor. Ask him how much time he spends working out--I guarantee it is a lot more than 2.5 hours per week. I am not talking about what is possible; just what is more efficient. Meat is efficient.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I only exercise 2.5 hours per week. Including no cardio whatsoever. I have lost about 40 lbs in the last 18 months, and gained muscle, and went from doing 2 pull ups, to 14. I am 46 years old. One of the main reasons for my results is my efficient, meat-laden diet. It is the most efficient type of diet for fitness. CAN you get results without meat? Sure. Just not as efficiently as I have achieved. I guarantee the lady in your example works out way harder and more often than I have to, in part due to lack of meat. I submit there is no way you can exercise as little as I do, at my age, and still get the kind of results I do without meat. And your 50 year old friend would probably have an easier time if he ate meat, in part because his testosterone would be higher and working more in his favor. Ask him how much time he spends working out--I guarantee it is a lot more than 2.5 hours per week. I am not talking about what is possible; just what is more efficient. Meat is efficient.

That's nice dear.

Dietary choices like veganism are usually a matter of ethics. There really is no need to argue about "efficiency" when it comes down to that, especially since no one asked you.

Life ain't binary, dude.

And as for sara, do go check out her profile. You really have no idea about "results". You're not even in her league.

• rontafoya
    Options
    araya510 wrote: »
    Is it true that being a vegetarian helps you lose weight? I'm a new vegetarian any recipes that are good??

In my opinion, since you (the original poster) asked, I believe the answer is "no." Vegetarian diets tend to be less efficient for weight loss than meaty diets, because vegetarian diets tend to be high in carbs, and carbs do not satiate hunger as well as other sources of protein and fat, such as meat. Since your question had to do with weight loss specifically, this is my opinion based on your question--that you, the original poster--asked. Best of luck to you (the original poster), in your goals. And thank you for asking a question of the community (that I am part of).
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    araya510 wrote: »
    Is it true that being a vegetarian helps you lose weight? I'm a new vegetarian any recipes that are good??

In my opinion, since you (the original poster) asked, I believe the answer is "no." Vegetarian diets tend to be less efficient for weight loss than meaty diets, because vegetarian diets tend to be high in carbs, and carbs do not satiate hunger as well as other sources of protein and fat, such as meat. Since your question had to do with weight loss specifically, this is my opinion based on your question--that you, the original poster--asked. Best of luck to you (the original poster), in your goals. And thank you for asking a question of the community (that I am part of).

I will counter this post with the point that vegetarian diets are not necessarily high in carbs, though carbs have nothing to do with weight loss "efficiency". For some people, carbs are indeed more satiating. For others, protein and fat are. People vary when it comes to satiety.

I'm a vegetarian who moderates her carbs. I do it by focusing on meeting my protein goal through Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, bean pasta, and lentils. I fill that in with plenty of vegetables and some berries. I also supplement my protein intake with shakes and bars, because protein and fat is most sating for me personally.

The bottom line, though, is that I meet my goals eating at a calorie deficit. No matter what way of eating you chose, and what foods you eat, you have to create an energy deficit to lose weight.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I once stayed at the home of a vegan. For breakfast she had whole wheat pancakes, with maple syrup, orange juice. Lunch was vegetarian lasagna, dinner was a veggie sandwich loaded with avocado. The fats and carbs that day way exceeded my norm, and I was low on protein.
    I am not sure I could lose weight on a diet like that. And I felt bloated. I craved my light breakfast of greek yogurt, lunch of salmon salad, and steak with soybeans for dinner.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Hahahno. You can be a vegan male and ripped. Just ask @AzyrJake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

How many vegetarian body builders do you know?