Being Fluffy Doesn't Mean We're Broken

Options
2»

Replies

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    My kids started calling me 'fluffy bunny' a few years ago, but were quick to explain that this referred to my chest hair and not my weight. Not sure if they were back peddling a bit so as not to hurt my feelings, but the name stuck. They like to cuddle a lot.

I'm glad your name is Robert, or that would of been even worse.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Go get it!
  • chami1013
    chami1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :) I'm determined more than ever as I creep to an older age and I know the older I get, metabolism slows!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Fluffy is a pretty common descriptor of overweight/obese. Don't be disingenuous. This is a place for support.

chami1013, you'll probably find a lot of things you can do that you didn't realize you could do before. The even better news is, as you shed fat and build muscle, those things will be even easier to do, and you'll find even more things you can do. It opens a whole new world, and it's a lot of fun!
    Dictionary
    fluffy
    adjective

soft and like wool or like fur: fluffy toys›
    light and full of air: Beat the eggs and sugar together until they are fluffy.

Lol I have never heard it being given that description before, so kindly do one, Disingenuous indeed. It will be nice to see you out there providing support and helping people with advice, slowest person.

Chami its great you are going to the gym. Regular exercise can have an early beneficial effect even at the early stages so keep it up. One of the things ive noticed is just how much progress ive made in terms of general health and fitness from what I can lift or how long and fast I can sustain my cardio. You will get noticeable progress early on, as long as you stick to it. You will be surprised just how much progress you will make. Keep a log to see how far you've come. Its also a handy measure when sometimes weight loss slows down. Good luck.
  • chami1013
    Options
    Do you log everything into MFP?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    chami1013 wrote: »
    Started working out yesterday with a personal trainer and what I realized was because I'm a fluffier person I had it my mind I couldn't do certain things. Like I was making myself disabled, but after yesterday I realized I'm not disabled because of my weight nor am I broken! I can do this!

That's a great realization. You definitely can do it! It gets easier too--for exercise especially just getting started and starting to get into shape is usually the hardest part, and it's so motivating to see and feel the progress.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chami if thats to me (because it came after) then I enter my cardio into MFP becayse it gives me calories. If you use mfp to calculate your burns, then just start with eating 50% of them because MFP can be a bit generous at times. Strength training then MFP tends not to be too hot on. Resistance burns less calories and they are even harder to calculate. You cna enter them as cardio for the calorie burn, but tbh many people dont bother or just enter 1 calorie. The aim is to avoid eating calories you havent burned. Cardio and resistance have different and complementary benefits. You have to do an awful lot of exercise to burn significnat calories directly, so your priority is controlling what you eat as thats more influential.

The times and performance measures I chart on a spreadhseet. Its a good record everyday on what I have to do and what my times etc were. Helps you be more organised with your wokout.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Do you log everything into MFP?

Yes, I log everything. Everything (except water) has calories so you need to log it all. Weigh everything to the gram with food scales and log it. And make sure you choose accurate entries on the database. All the best
  • chami1013
    Options
    I love the barcode scanner too! Very helpful!
  • chami1013
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Chami if thats to me (because it came after) then I enter my cardio into MFP becayse it gives me calories. If you use mfp to calculate your burns, then just start with eating 50% of them because MFP can be a bit generous at times. Strength training then MFP tends not to be too hot on. Resistance burns less calories and they are even harder to calculate. You cna enter them as cardio for the calorie burn, but tbh many people dont bother or just enter 1 calorie. The aim is to avoid eating calories you havent burned. Cardio and resistance have different and complementary benefits. You have to do an awful lot of exercise to burn significnat calories directly, so your priority is controlling what you eat as thats more influential.

The times and performance measures I chart on a spreadhseet. Its a good record everyday on what I have to do and what my times etc were. Helps you be more organised with your wokout.

Good idea on charting times and performance!
  • chami1013
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Started working out yesterday with a personal trainer and what I realized was because I'm a fluffier person I had it my mind I couldn't do certain things. Like I was making myself disabled, but after yesterday I realized I'm not disabled because of my weight nor am I broken! I can do this!

That's a great realization. You definitely can do it! It gets easier too--for exercise especially just getting started and starting to get into shape is usually the hardest part, and it's so motivating to see and feel the progress.

Starting out is bittersweet for me. I don't like when my leg muscles are sore but on the other hand, it feels good.
  • Serendipitous_Life
    Serendipitous_Life Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love your "can do" outlook!! :)
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love your outlook Our bodies are insanely amazing.

"Your mind will give up long before your body will"
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love the barcode scanner too! Very helpful!
    Wow, I never noticed that before. Very cool.

• swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chami,

It's nice isn't it!? Dittoing your post, I am new to MFP, have much to lose, and this was the first week that I taken myself to the gym in over a decade...and actual moved! I was astonished at how fast the body responds. My body feels looser already, I feel perkier, it's almost like my body is already asking me to keep it up...giving me the note that, ya lady, you can still hustle.

Keep up the good work!!!