homemade ice cream with skim milk..calories per serving?

Options
13»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that it didn't turn out as calorie friendly as you thought, but I will NEVER be sorry that you taught me to put cake mix in homemade ice cream. This is the best thing I've learned this week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that it didn't turn out as calorie friendly as you thought, but I will NEVER be sorry that you taught me to put cake mix in homemade ice cream. This is the best thing I've learned this week.

Yes. I actually have a list going of things I learned this week. Now I'm going to see what else I can add cake mix to.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yes. I actually have a list going of things I learned this week. Now I'm going to see what else I can add cake mix to.

I wonder if brownie mix could be applied the same way, for a more-chocolate-than-chocolate flavor...
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    rudy336 wrote: »
    I'll still be happy to eat it if you drop it off though ;)
    your on! lol everyone here that i make it for loves it. :) lol. can you figure the same with whole milk for me? im curious about the calorie difference. already though, my dreams are crushed after i saw this. that heavy cream is a beast. gotta find a alternative.

Hey, just saw this now. With whole milk it would be significantly less since whole milk only has 146 calories per cup

292+387+64/8 = 93 Calories per cup (if it makes 2 quarts or 8 cups)
    292+387+64/4 = 186 Calories per cup (if it makes 1 quart or 4 cups)
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I wonder if brownie mix could be applied the same way, for a more-chocolate-than-chocolate flavor...

OMFG........
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

well i am glad you enjoyed it! it's yummo! i made a batch the other night with half/half instead of heavy cream, knocked around 250-300 calories per serving off. and still had the consistency i wanted. heres what i did.:

2 cups of half/half
    1 cup of cake mix (dry)
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    3 teaspoons vanilla extract.
    1 tablespoon or so of ground turmic. (optional but gives ice cream the nice yellow cake batter look)

combine all ingredients in blender. blend till smooth, then chill 2-3 hours. put in ice cream maker for about 30 minutes. you can either eat the ice cream as is, or transfer to container to freeze overnight for optimal firmness. :smile:
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

well i am glad you enjoyed it! it's yummo! i made a batch the other night with half/half instead of heavy cream, knocked around 250-300 calories per serving off. and still had the consistency i wanted. heres what i did.:

2 cups of half/half
    1 cup of cake mix (dry)
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon or so of ground turmic. (optional but gives ice cream the nice yellow cake batter look)

combine all ingredients in blender. blend till smooth, then chill 2-3 hours. put in ice cream maker for about 30 minutes. you can either eat the ice cream as is, or transfer to container to freeze overnight for optimal firmness. :smile:

Anyone know how I can make all these yummy ice creams without any kind of ice cream machine/maker? Can I just put it in the freezer and stir every hour or something?
  • australianna
    australianna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to use the Carnation evaporated milk in the can, nonfat. I use frozen fruit and Stevia and it makes really good ice cream that is low in calories. Frozen banana makes it even creamier if you like the taste, works well with banana/blueberry, banana/strawberry or PBII and banana if you don't mind that it has a little sugar in the PBII.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Directly from the MFP calculator. It's actually even more than that (I looked up heavy cream whipped in error the 1st time). If it makes 2 quarts the recipie would be split in 8.

1 cup of heavy whipping cream = 800 Calories and you said you use 2 cups in the recipie so it would be 1600 calories
    1/2 cup of sugar is 387 Calories
    3/4 cup of skim Milk is 64 calories

1600+387+64/8 = 256 Calories per cup (if it makes 2 quarts or 8 cups)
    1600+387+64/4 = 512 Calories per cup (if it makes 1 quart or 4 cups)

You are forgetting that the ice cream machine is incorporating air into the mix as the ice cream freezes. Quarts are volumetric measurements.

Rather than speak in terms of cups and quarts which each person could be visualizing differently, it makes more sense to speak in terms of X number of servings of Y ounces.

So, a total of 2051 kcal went into the recipe (1600 + 387 + 64).

The weight of the ingredients is 29.09 ounces (16oz + 7.09oz + 6oz). (Per this sight, http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight/substance/sugar-coma-and-blank-granulated, 1/2 cup of sugar weighs 7.09 ounces.)

2051/29.09 = 70.5 kcal per ounce (or per 28.35g). A 4 ounce (or ~113g) serving of this recipe would be around 282kcal (70.5 x 4)

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Just don't call it ice cream.
  • rudy336
    Options

2 cups of half/half
    1 cup of cake mix (dry)
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup sugar

Anyone know how I can make all these yummy ice creams without any kind of ice cream machine/maker? Can I just put it in the freezer and stir every hour or something?

Not sure on that one. Google how to do without the ice cream maker its yummo. I love it :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    I make all my own ice-cream using whipping cream & fat-free half&half. It has 86cal per ounce for the vanilla bean. Strawberry is 61. Cake batter 81.
    All worth every yummy bite too.
  • rudy336
    Options

2 cups of half/half
    1 cup of cake mix (dry)
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup sugar

Not sure on that one. Google how to do without the ice cream maker its yummo. I love it :)
    I make all my own ice-cream using whipping cream & fat-free half&half. It has 86cal per ounce for the vanilla bean. Strawberry is 61. Cake batter 81.
    All worth every yummy bite too.

Oh yes the cake batter is for sure :) love it!