Depo-Provera and Weight Gain

Options
I have recently gained 10lbs, and I am coming up on my second depo-provera injection. Admittedly, I haven't been eating really well, and not really exercising. I have gained these 10lbs in the last month and a half or so. What do you think? Get the next Depo shot (lasts for three months, it will be injection #2) and be strict with my diet and exercise, or make an apt to talk about getting back on the pill. Thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?

Replies

• arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I ave been doing depo for a while now. Get my 4th injection next month. Its all hormonal it can cause you to crave more (feel more hungry) or crave worse foods. Its all about your self control. It doesn't in and of itself cause weight gain according to what my doctor explained. Good luck!
  • krispit74
    krispit74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on my 3rd Depo shot and I've decided not to take it anymore. I've gained about 15 lbs since starting it. I didn't get more cravings or feel more hungry or eat more than normal. Changing my diet doesn't seem to help. i may lose 1 or 2 lbs here or there but no more than that and I typically gain that back. I workout 5 days a week...lifting and cardio. No success at all. ...very, very discouraged!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 10 years, switched to Mirena for 7 years and back to depo...I lost over 50lbs on Mirena and now Depo...

How? Calorie deficit.

Weight gain is recorded as a side effect because during clinical trials (which btw are not in a lab) women reported that they gained weight...guess how many...less than 5% but because it was stated it has to go on as a possible side effect...
  • whittanywood0224
    whittanywood0224 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I've been going through! I lost almost 30 pounds after I had my son and as soon as I got the shot I've been adding it on again. It seems like its so much harder to stick with a diet because of all the hormones, mood swings, and cravings. I feel more pregnant now than when I actually had a baby in there! The next shot is in June and I'm getting off of it. Until then, does anyone need an accountability partner? I could use some encouragement.
  • isalo1300
    isalo1300 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was just recently put on depo about a month ago(?)... I've lost 7 lbs since then.... I don't think it's the birth control.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo for 8 years no problems at all.
  • natalieking13
    natalieking13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 2 years. I gained 60 lbs. I went on a very strict diet and exercise plan, and couldn't lose anything until I got off the depo.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A week after I was supposed to get my last Depo shot, I started gaining. Hormones went nuts. Ate sugar straight from the bag. Breasts swollen and painful--had to take showers backwards, the water hurt so bad. Oh, and I lost huge amounts of hair. But for the year I was on it? No problems at all. They all started after I went off it.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I was on depo for 10 years, switched to Mirena for 7 years and back to depo...I lost over 50lbs on Mirena and now Depo...

How? Calorie deficit.

Weight gain is recorded as a side effect because during clinical trials (which btw are not in a lab) women reported that they gained weight...guess how many...less than 5% but because it was stated it has to go on as a possible side effect...

This. I've been on Depo for about 10 years. Yes, I gained about 80 pounds in that 10 years. But I also graduated high school and stopped all of the athletic activity that I did as a teen, went to college and sat on my *kitten* all day for 4 years, got a job to pay for all the junk food I wanted and just generally didn't care. In the past year, still on Depo, I've lost 60 pounds, by eating less and moving more. The Depo has had zero effect on my weight loss/gain. Other than the fact that I don't get TOM, so I don't have that monthly craving binge and weight fluctuation to worry about :)