Bday present for wife

Options
durango83
durango83 Posts: 9 Member
I don't know what to get, thinking a washer, dryer or vacuum?

opinions

Replies

• blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    vibrator
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    lol
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    Does she really want any of those things? How long have you been married/together?
  • durango83
    durango83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does she really want any of those things? How long have you been married/together?

2 years, washer & dryer i know she wants for sure, but is it acceptable for a Bday present

• MonkeyMel21
    Options
    durango83 wrote: »

2 years, washer & dryer i know she wants for sure, but is it acceptable for a Bday present
    If you also take her out for a fun night, like nice dinner, bowling, concert, etc whatever she would enjoy, then yes, it would be fine imo. If that's the only thing you're doing for her then......she better REALLY want that washer and dryer.
  • bakenatj610
    bakenatj610 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    vibrator

If he gets her anything on his list, she will go get one because he wont be getting anything...lol
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You could toss the vibe into the dryer - make it a surprise!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    durango83 wrote: »

If you also take her out for a fun night, like nice dinner, bowling, concert, etc whatever she would enjoy, then yes, it would be fine imo. If that's the only thing you're doing for her then......she better REALLY want that washer and dryer.

Yep to this!
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You could toss the vibe into the dryer - make it a surprise!

Bad idear. She might burn herself :sad:
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This could backfire in a manner most epic.. lol

Now, I'm a practical sort of gal and I would have loved if my husband would have given me the Dyson I was looking at for our third anniversary years ago. But, it would have needed to be accompanied with some frivolous something.

These days, we pretty much agree that we just buy household stuff that we need instead of calling any of those items a gift. Now, if you guys already have a washer/dryer and she has her eye on some fancy steam cleaner combo washer or some other such nonsense, than it could work.

Something you need to buy anyways really isn't a gift though.

This year was our tenth anniversary and my husbands original idea was to have my car painted as my gift. Fortunately, noticed the search history in time and managed to advise against painting my car as my anniversary gift. I work in a county building and park in plainly marked 'staff parking' and angry people vandalize the cars on a regular basis. Mine isn't a target because it looks pretty rough already. It would be keyed in under a week with a new paint job.

Anyhow, I told him I would appreciate frivolous things that reflected how well he knew me. He got me a jigsaw puzzle organizer, a whole bunch of puzzles, a couple lego sets and some of the salt/pepper shakers I collect.. lol So, for me, he FINALLY nailed it. Only took 10 years.

You should know your wife, so, take what you know and work with that.

ADDITIONALLY, when going the practical gift route, be sure you are buying exactly the right model. Two years ago my husband bought me a Kuerig coffee pot as I had been dropping hints about a coffee pot. BUT, I wanted a different brand because it was a single cup brewer but had a huge water tank you only had to fill once and then could make like 6 cups of coffee before refilling it. It also came with a basket and tiny filters or you could use Kcups. It was perfect and I used one at work on a daily basis. Loved that thing! But, my husband decided the Keurig one cost more thus must be better, so got me that one instead. I'm still using it, but, it's not that convenient.

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    My husband once bought me a vacuum as a gift (can't remember if it was my birthday or Valentine's Day, or some other occasion). I was less than thrilled...in part because it was heavy and unwieldy...but mostly because the implication was that since it was MY vacuum, I would be the only one doing this particular household chore. I agree with @jenniferinfl that a household appliance is not a gift.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting household appliances as birthday gifts but some people do. Depends on your wife I guess... I'd venture to say you probably know her better...
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    vibrator
    +1

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting household appliances as birthday gifts but some people do. Depends on your wife I guess... I'd venture to say you probably know her better...

+1
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Id say washer, dryer& flowers :smiley:
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    something that is a household need should not be a birthday gift. it should simply be bought for the house. i would not be impressed with a vaccum on my birthday. NOW buy a new vaccum on a random day and surprise her and she will probably be thrilled. take her someplace nice and give her a piece of jewelry or other little sentimental thing. doesn't have to be crazy expensive just thoughtful
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Household items are not gifts. I have been witness to this where my father thought it'd be a good idea to buy my mother a household item for Christmas. It did not go down well.

If she enjoys day spas, why not a voucher for a few hours of massage, facials...etc?
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What about a maid?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Different couples handle gifts differently, but I think a gift should be more personal than an appliance for doing chores. Personally, my fiance and I prefer experiences over objects... Going out to an extra fancy meal, some sort of show, a night at a hotel, a day trip to some special museum event or festival... Something memorable we can share.