Gaining?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• sophielafave
    sophielafave Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No not much but im on the go a lot..i feel like the acronym was something like TDS or something it went along with the idea of fasting all but 4 hrs a day..which seemed like a good concept til I tried it and it didn't work at all
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    There are lots of issues here with your calorie goal and whatnot, but the short answer is: it's probably water weight. You can fluctuate 5 pounds just from water weight. Did you have that fast food yesterday? The sodium is probably making retain water. Sore muscles? Water retention. Time of the month? Water retention. Look at the weight loss in the long run, and if one week doesn't go well don't sweat it. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • sophielafave
    Options
    I eat fast food at least 4 times a week, bc I work so much I don't have a lot of time to go food shopping and I work late so I end up in the drive thru. I've been tryin to stop and just eat something simple like Cheerios with skim milk when I get home. Water retention maybe bc ive been tryin to drink almost a gallon of water a day. I don't know maybe im going about this the wrong way...
  • sophielafave
    edited April 2015
    Options

malibu927 wrote: »
    I got 931 from a calculation I got from a forum on here I cant remember what it was called, something with 3 letters.. but im normally staying within that range sometimes going a little over.. I do eat a pretty good amount of fast food but I log it all and usually am still under my calories..I binge eat sometimes and those are the only days I go over usually..I don't have a problem opening my diary...just don't know how lol

Did you calculate your BMR-20%? Because that's the wrong way to go.

Yes! I think that's what it was! Why is it the wrong way to go though? Guidance please! I only lost 20 lbs of my baby weight and its been a year... I gained about 40 lbs during pregnancy and id like to get those last 20 lbs off!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

malibu927 wrote: »
    I got 931 from a calculation I got from a forum on here I cant remember what it was called, something with 3 letters.. but im normally staying within that range sometimes going a little over.. I do eat a pretty good amount of fast food but I log it all and usually am still under my calories..I binge eat sometimes and those are the only days I go over usually..I don't have a problem opening my diary...just don't know how lol

Did you calculate your BMR-20%? Because that's the wrong way to go.

Yes! I think that's what it was! Why is it the wrong way to go though? Guidance please! I only lost 20 lbs of my baby weight and its been a year... I gained about 40 lbs during pregnancy and id like to get those last 20 lbs off!

Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn just by being alive. You need to figure out your TDEE (the amount you burn through daily activities and exercise) and subtract from there...probably about 15% since you don't have that much to lose. Eating less than 1200 calories (the minimum recommendation for women) regularly can lead to muscle loss and other health problems.
  • Firefly_71
    Firefly_71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I put your numbers (to the best I could estimate) in the "If it fits your macros calculator" -
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Its creators follow the TDEE philosophy that people keep mentioning.

Your body might be resisting weight loss because you are feeding it so few calories. 930 is way too low. Also you might be retaining water (re: sodium from the fast food). Eat more whole foods. If you must get fast food, try some of the healthier options like El Pollo Loco, or Chipotle.

Consider upping your calories to a more reasonable total. Never eat less than 1200 calories. You might even want to up to a minimum of 1400 to 1500 (which is what your body would burn simply sitting in bed all day -- at least that is what IIFYM says). To stay at your current weight, you'll need to eat 1,800 daily.

Then create a weekly 'burn goal' (via exercise) of 1000 to 1500 calories a week. More if possible. But work up to it. Also you will need more protein for your muscles since you are exercising more.

Pay attention to macros as well (i.e. make sure you are getting the right balance of protein, carbs, and fat). IIFYM suggests you try 115 grams of protein, 141 carbs, and 46 grams of fat (that works out to about 1450 calories a day).

Don't kill yourself over sips of water. But do drink lots of it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food at least 4 times a week, bc I work so much I don't have a lot of time to go food shopping and I work late so I end up in the drive thru. I've been tryin to stop and just eat something simple like Cheerios with skim milk when I get home. Water retention maybe bc ive been tryin to drink almost a gallon of water a day. I don't know maybe im going about this the wrong way...

Water retention is alleviated by drinking water and caused by too many processed foods or too much sodium. You will also retain during exercise and when your cortisol levels are increased.
  • sophielafave
    Options
    That helps a lot!!! I did the calculations and I got 1742 calories a day...which kind of scares me..i don't normally eat that many calories and ive been maintaining my weight for at least 7 months, but just started to do more physical activities within the last month
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Like MFP (MyFittnessPal)?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

Like MFP (MyFittnessPal)?

I wrote too soon, nevermind. Twas something else *** backing away ***
  • sophielafave
    Options
    It was the TDEE that I used, I went back and changed it to the recommended (by mfp) 1200 calories a day..lets see how this goes!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It was the TDEE that I used, I went back and changed it to the recommended (by mfp) 1200 calories a day..lets see how this goes!

1200, PLUS you will earn exercise calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

1200, PLUS you will earn exercise calories.

Definitely! !
    If I had to eat 1200, I'd be eating them exercise calories back for sure!! :grimace:
  • sophielafave
    Options
    I will still probably stay under 1200 but im gonna try to stop with the fast food so much