Gain weight and maintain flat stomach

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    gavyn02 wrote: »
    Why what lol

Why can you only gain 5 lbs of muscle per year?

Why do you need 1.5g/lb?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Absolutely....but lots of people have no idea what that is unless you have access to someone who can measure your bf levels...so if you go for that rule you'll be getting a good amount of protein which is key for muscle growth. All these are just guide lines there is no hard and fast rule for everyone..it's about trial and error and what's best for your own body.....

i fail to see the connection between body fat level and protein intake….
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression the body could grow 2 - 2.5 lbs a month in lean muscle, I don't know where this 5lbs a year came from? That would be utterly ridiculous.

Protein is supposed to be 1g / lb of LEAN MASS. To most people, multiplying 0.8 by your total body weight will be close enough.

1.5g/lb is asking for new plumbing.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wonder if OP is not bulking but recovering from an eating disorder?

If this is the case, OP, you need to think about your health first, and your flat stomach second. Get healthy first, then worry about vanity.
  • gavyn02
    gavyn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Absolutely....but lots of people have no idea what that is unless you have access to someone who can measure your bf levels...so if you go for that rule you'll be getting a good amount of protein which is key for muscle growth. All these are just guide lines there is no hard and fast rule for everyone..it's about trial and error and what's best for your own body.....
    You are completely over valuing protein especially for a bulk. Carbs are very important for a bulk and will be even higher than protein.

There is no reason for you to have protein at 1.5 ever not even elite athletes which we know would benefit from higher protein need to go that high. And on a bulk protein is less important than on a cut.

And saying we can only put on 5 lbs per year is ridiculous. So basically less than .5 lbs per month. Have fun with that one. So I guess you are running like a 60 calorie per week surplus? Lol. That's pretty funny.

• gavyn02
    Options
    It all plays a roll, carbs protein and fats..... How many people have you heard say they cant put on muscle, its because once you get past the newbie gain period it becomes so much harder..you can even try it yourself....if you manage more that 2 kgs a year of lean muscle mass let me know.... The classic 500-1000 cals to your diet to bulk will end up with a lot of fat gain which is fine if your not too concerned about that. But it's not all muscle.....do a little research
  • gavyn02
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html

This is just one article I've found.....there are tons more out there supporting it.....
  • gavyn02
    Options
    Just a realist lol the moral of the story is don't expect too much....it takes time and hard work and from experience it's not far from the truth....how about you? What we have you experienced?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just a realist lol the moral of the story is don't expect too much....it takes time and hard work and from experience it's not far from the truth....how about you? What we have you experienced?

I meticulously cut bulked and cut and got dexa scans. I gain a pound of muscle a month, with a pound of fat. That's 1750 extra cals a week/250 cals a day Adequate protein (100g) and the rest carbs and fat. That's how most of us ladies bulk, men about double that.
  • gavyn02
    Options
    I'm just putting the data out there and you can interpret how you like.. as for my experience its exatly that. My experience.....As I said, newbie gains can be bigger, but when you start training for a while they slow down. Be very mindful im talking in averages. So to get an average there would be higher numbers and lower numbers..same for proteins carbs and fat intake. It's completely individual and clearly no size fits all. It's not about not knowing what I'm talking about its about being open minded enough to take on many points of view and workout what's best for you........ I have no issues whether you believe me or or not but I feel I have nothing more to add haha these are my views, based on experience and education.....keep training hard. We are all on the same journey......
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'm just putting the data out there and you can interpret how you like.. as for my experience its exatly that. My experience.....As I said, newbie gains can be bigger, but when you start training for a while they slow down. Be very mindful im talking in averages. So to get an average there would be higher numbers and lower numbers..same for proteins carbs and fat intake. It's completely individual and clearly no size fits all. It's not about not knowing what I'm talking about its about being open minded enough to take on many points of view and workout what's best for you........ I have no issues whether you believe me or or not but I feel I have nothing more to add haha these are my views, based on experience and education.....keep training hard. We are all on the same journey......

Unfortunately not everyone has been training 5+ years, let alone properly.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    EzRemake wrote: »
    I was under the impression the body could grow 2 - 2.5 lbs a month in lean muscle, I don't know where this 5lbs a year came from? That would be utterly ridiculous.

Protein is supposed to be 1g / lb of LEAN MASS. To most people, multiplying 0.8 by your total body weight will be close enough.

1.5g/lb is asking for new plumbing.

2 - 2.5 lbs of muscle only on the most precise and optimal diets and all other factors being on point.....as well as being genetically blessed and new to lifting.
    For someone who has lifted a while, for a guy you are looking at more like 1 - 1.5 lbs per month.

For me personally, I do about 1.2gr of protein / pound (at least).
    Because I can, and I like it.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    It all plays a roll, carbs protein and fats..... How many people have you heard say they cant put on muscle, its because once you get past the newbie gain period it becomes so much harder..you can even try it yourself....if you manage more that 2 kgs a year of lean muscle mass let me know.... The classic 500-1000 cals to your diet to bulk will end up with a lot of fat gain which is fine if your not too concerned about that. But it's not all muscle.....do a little research

So over a 12 month period, you are saying a total of 4.4 lbs of muscle???
    That's it?
  • MityMax96
    edited April 2015
    Options