Geez.....

Options
Everything in moderation right? That's the only real way to lose weight and keep it off? But -- all these diets and eating plans. How are you supposed to make sense of anything when there is so much information out there? And so much nonsense? Who can you trust for the real info?
I guess I will just have to trust myself and common sense. I know I can't cut out all my favorite foods forever. So that's why 'everything in moderation' makes sense to me.
But I think to start, I do need to cut out some stuff. Maybe if I get used to not eating it, then when I do have some, a little will be all I want. I'm talking mostly about chocolate here, if you hadn't already figured that out. Candy, cookies, cake. No, no, and no. Not for awhile anyway.
I was looking at all the other posts here, and it's downright confusing. I know that losing weight is hard, but for me, it's not been hard to know what to do. It's hard to actually do it. But so much of the information is confusing. So I think I will just leave it alone. I don't know what a macro is, and I'm ok with that. I have a general idea, but don't really know much about the paleo thing either. I think my life will be complete without anymore knowledge on that, as well.
Not criticizing those of you who succeed on these types of diets and plans. But it's not for me. And I am hoping I can have success doing things my way. And that there are others like me who can each other and cheer each other on.
A common sense approach to eating healthier, and cutting out diet disasters for now, until I can approach them with a little more control.

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The one tip I can give you - whatever you do, make sure it's something you can stick with for the rest of your life. It should become your new normal. That's the only way you will be able to keep the weight off.

So if you can't do low carb or keto or whatever forever then your success will be short lived.
  • unbreakable51
    unbreakable51 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is what I think too. I get tempted by things like nutrisystem, but I know I can't eat that way forever. And I don't want to lose weight, only to gain it back.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is what I think too. I get tempted by things like nutrisystem, but I know I can't eat that way forever. And I don't want to lose weight, only to gain it back.

That's already a step in the right direction! Something that helped me starting out was taking, like, a box of milk duds (surprisingly low-cal compared to other candies) or gummy bears and portioning out half-servings into snack bags. I'd have to hide the bags from myself because otherwise I'd eat them all anyway, but one little baggy when I really wanted candy made me not feel so bad about myself. I <3 candy. :D
  • unbreakable51
    Options
    That is what I used to do and I have no idea why I quit. I still bring my treats, but I have been throwing the whole bag of fun sized candy, or kisses, into my tote. NOT a good idea! I guess I thought I would be sensible and just eat the same amount. But that's not what has been happening at all. Surprise!

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    The one tip I can give you - whatever you do, make sure it's something you can stick with for the rest of your life. It should become your new normal. That's the only way you will be able to keep the weight off.

So if you can't do low carb or keto or whatever forever then your success will be short lived.

This! Stick with an eating style that you can do for the rest of your life. So many people go into this process as a diet & a quick fix & once they get to their desired weight they begin to eat how they did before & gain it all back. The problem isn't the food they're eating rather they don't learn how to eat in moderation or how to properly measure their food.

Only remove foods from your diet that you can't moderate at the time or have a medical reason to avoid.
  • unbreakable51
    Options
    I know this to be true. But it's so easy to be tempted by a quick fix. I ate at Panera Bread tonight. IT was so good. No way -- NO WAY I would ever give up bread. I don't care how much weight someone loses going on a no carb diet. I don't think anyone can, or should, eat that way long term. All food is good. I also would never want to mess with my body that way, eating only certain things. I think our bodies need a variety of foods. So I guess I just need to always remember what it is I need to do.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Don't give up anything you love. What I did was slowly cut back on things that I could not control myself around and then when I felt I could have it without bingeing I let myself have an actual portion instead of a taste of it. Also the pre portioning works really well for me too. That way I can eat the whole bag of my treat and not have to worry about counting it out. I try to plan my meals in advance but I get thrown off track if there are surprises. Do what feels right for you and do it one step at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It's Calories in and Calories out. That's it. To lose weight, that's it.

Inside of that, you have to find what works for you.
    This is what works for me
    No Breakfast: Never was a breakfast person before so I still don't eat breakfast now

Eat 75% of my cals in the evening. I tend to feel hungry/want to eat more in the evenings than during the day so I keep most of the cals for then.

Focusing on Weekly Cals not Daily Cals. Eat 200 cals less a day (1500 instead of 1700) on weekdays, because I know on the weekends I will likely want to go out to dinner with friends, plus I'll have more down time which is when I'm more likely to want to eat so I leave cals for then. That means on the weekends I am in the 2000-3000 cal range depending.

Having chocolate and/or treats every single day. It's awesome to know that I get to have something I really like every single day.

I only focus on calories, not macros or anything else. Simple. I'd like to slowly work in more 'healthy' foods as I go, but I sure am not gonna rush it. I'm gonna find 'healthy' foods I like, and work them in.

These are all things that I do because they work specifically FOR ME! But the only thing that actually matters is Cals in and Cals out. All the rest is just personal preference.
  • unbreakable51
    Options
    All great advice. The breakfast thing --- the most important meal of the day. I think that was drummed into my head so much, I always eat breakfast. And it's a habit now, but I used to skip it all the time. I feel less hungry by lunch time when I don't eat breakfast. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it is.
    Well, anyway, it's just nice to hear that 'whatever works for you' is really ok.
    I just want to enjoy the food that I eat, and nourish my body with it as well. But food is meant for us to enjoy, not just to use as fuel. For someone else, they might do well thinking of food as only fuel. But for me, food will always be something to savor. It's not what I eat, or when I eat it, it's how much I eat.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I feel less hungry by lunch time when I don't eat breakfast. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it is.

Me, too!! LOL Except on days where I wake up hungry and HAVE to eat. If I don't wake up hungry I just save those cals for lunch. ;) (or candy)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I feel less hungry by lunch time when I don't eat breakfast. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's how it is.

Me, too!! LOL Except on days where I wake up hungry and HAVE to eat. If I don't wake up hungry I just save those cals for lunch. ;) (or candy)

I've stopped eating breakfast and this has happened to me as well.
  • unbreakable51
    Options
    Ha ha -- maybe we should start our own goofy diet trend -- skip breakfast, save the calories.
    I hope it's obvious that I'm kidding. But it's probably not as ridiculous as some of the other 'advice' that's out there.
    Best thing to remember is that we are all different. We all have to do our own thing, and what works for one person probably won't work for another.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just whatever you decide on make sure you like the way it's done. I find Keto easy because I really dont have to cut anything out but the carbs (breads, fried food, rice, packaged food), and even then I still eat carbs, just far fewer than before. for example, I get to eat bacon and cream cheese, two things I thought for sure would need to go. But nope. Just do whatever makes you happy, And whatever feels like you can still eat food without being ashamed of every bite you eat. Most of the time it's a person's relationship with food that is the problem, not the food itself.
  • unbreakable51
    Options
    I agree completely. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. And you are so right about the relationship with food being the problem. I am working on that, and trying to find a way to fix it.