help with meals that make me actually full

Options
2»

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    anything higher in protein. Also, take a look at skinnytaste.com Tons of great recipes... now I am trying Emilybites.com, but I have nothing to report so far.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This morning I cooked 1/2 cup of oatmeal which came out to maybe 1.5 cups cooked. Then added a 1/4 scoop of chocolate protein powder. I also made 1/2 cup of eggbeaters and seasoned with onion, garlic, and southwest chipotle seasoning. And these kept me full for a few hours. And it only took me 10 min to make everything.
  • littleshaunda
    Options
    kamelew wrote: »
    Believe it or not one of the best things you can add to curb hunger is Fat- yes Fat! So 1 serving of healthy fats- Avocado is my favorite- coconut oil!, nuts -or just yes I am not afraid to say it - some cheese. Also I use Chobani 4% yogurt with some fruit ( and sometime a little agave syrup) in the morning with oats Not the Fat Free kind!

I find this works wonders for me as well. Healthy fat in the right amounts is important.

• tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    These are all awesome
    Thank you! I need to go on a quick shopping trip to pick up supplies.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was doing the overnight oats before I was on here. I haven't been doing that since I started logging at all. Any specific recipes in mind?

Sorry for the late reply! I'm currently on 30g oats, splash of water just to wet them as the yoghurt is thick, 150g Greek yoghurt, mix all that and then add a layer of fruit on top. I like apple and cinnamon, banana and strawberry but this week have been using frozen berries - they are defrosted by the time you eat! It does work out about 300 cals (I use full fat yoghurt) but keeps you full until lunch :)
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Stop eating all processed foods for one week because they feed the cravings. Instead, eat mostly veggies and smaller amounts of protein. Stay away from fruit that week. Use steamed cauliflower as a filler in everything starting with two scrambled eggs every morning. Add more veggies to that dish. Veggies are expensive, so start picking them up at the local food banks. Only use a good nonstick skillet for everything like the Organic Green skillet that you can cool in without extra oils. Start detoxing your body and don't go back to artifical sweeteners or foods with preservatives, corn syrup, pesticides, herbicides or such. I can't afford organic so I presoak all my garden food in vinegar water before I eat it. I've heard toxins are stored in fat and will go back into fat when you burn fat keeping you fat, so I'm trying to get rid of them; and' get rid of a fatty liver by exercising every day. start walking and the cauliflower and veggies will keep you full. Don't over eat either. Not even veggies or protein.
  • lizzieg6
    lizzieg6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A dinner with a ton of veg really fills me up not always what I would choose to eat but veg is so low calorie and really filling it keeps me under my calorie allowance and I'm satisfied after. But I would defiantly steer clear of anything naughty for a while as I found i constantly craved it and still do but it's easier now to turn it down. I also have a very big lunch and a smaller dinner. I did a brunch last week with everything! But the types of food I used and the way I cooked it actually made it really low calorie but still tasty and super filling
  • Taramis
    Taramis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have 60 g of Bran flakes for breakfast and a mug of tea or coffee 1 sugar, 2 sweeteners (I have sweet tooth) the Bran Flakes are really low cal. and fat, and by the time I've drunk a large hot drink I'm pretty full. I'm surprised at how full I feel until lunch time.
    For lunch I try to eat a protein of fish or chicken with salad or veg, again low cal and fat, but filling, and that leaves me calories to have a snack like a choc biscuit or a yoghurt type pudding. Then I have another hot drink. Again I've been feeling full until dinner.
    I like to leave myself at least 700 calories for my dinner and an evening treat. I usually eat what I fancy staying in my calorie range. I've been following this type of diet for a couple of months now and have lost 6lbs.
    One tip I use tohelp me eat a much larger proportions of veg and salads is to sprinkle grated Parmesan on them. I love cheese and a small amount adds lots of flavour. Good luck with your diet. :)
  • BellaGowrie
    BellaGowrie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Porridge! That's my saving grace on low calorie days :] And greek yoghurt is great too!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Protein is filling. I usually have eggs and ham for breakfast, which keeps me full. When I'm at work I have a quest bar as a snack, or fruit. I buy mini babybel lights sometimes for snacks. A tuna salad for lunch is filling, and chicken with veggies for dinner also keeps me full.

Smoothies are also good. I just make them with banana, frozen mango and blueberries and a bit of water. You can add oats too.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great advice about increasing protein, healthy fats and fiber.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was really hungry all of the time. I found that having a small high protein snack in between meals helped. That way your stomach is not totally empty for as long. Easiest for me was a hard boiled egg. I always have them on hand. A few weeks in now my body has gotten more used to the new routine and I don't need the mid-morning snack anymore although I do still want something after work before dinner.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    The most filling breakfast I find is oatmeal with one tablespoon of peanut butter and one banana all mixed in together. The fiber, protein, fat combo seem to keep me satisfied for quite some time. Eggs should be good (or egg beaters) but I find they fill me up and I get hungry or want something else later.

For lunch and dinner I try to incorporate more and more vegetables. Low calorie with high volume. A lot of times a whole cucumber is not more than 50 calories - I dip it in sriacha or have something like celery with salsa.

SOmeone else also mentioned fat. Fat is what satiates us most, gives food it's flavor, and helps keep us satisfied longer. Just pick good quality fat - not oreos. Looks for things like Almonds and incorporate avacados or a little olive oil (NOT much!). THere are a few almond brands that have amazing flavors like Habanero BBQ - just make sure you portion them out.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Oh I do also like smoothies - my favorite is Vanilla almond milk, chocolate protein powder, banana, strawberries, flax seed, and chia seeds. I drink them a few times a week. SOmetimes as a meal and sometimes I'll drink half for a morning snack and the other half for the afternoon.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Blueberrry pear chia pudding. Chop small pear, handful of frozen blueberries heat on stove with water, tablespoon of coconut cream and maple syrup. Take off heat and add chia seed, and wait 5 minutes or so until the seeds no longer crunch. There are recipes online for exact amounts, but I usually just weigh the ingredients.
    Two fried eggs over sautéed spinach and onions.
    Roast broccoli, carrots, onions, and garlic with olive oil at 400 until the desired texture. Just add meat.
    When I haven't had time to cook I do a bed chopped microwaved frozen broccoli with meat on top. I slow cook most of my meat at the beginning of the week. My oven has a slow cooker, so when I come home I just cut off what we need, add condiments, and broil.
    I find that if I am hungry I drop my carbs and up my fats. Admittedly I do average over 2K calories per day.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    thonickman wrote: »
    Here's a new favorite for me. Container of three cheese tortellini I from refr section mixed with a jar of spaghetti sauce of your choice. Mix and put in casserole dish and add a pig of raw chicken tenders- kinda smush in the sauce. Bake 375 for 20 min take out and add mozzarella cheese on top and put back in oven 5 or 10 min. Easy and satisfying and leftovers!!

This sounds really heavy and calorie dense don't you think? Maybe after a hard work out I would suggest this.

I would have to agree. None of those are really low cal foods. Does sound like a good "cheat" dinner or something though.

Its not low cal exactly but, I am making some of that minus the chicken add beef for my dinner Monday. 6 servings each serving is about 450. Delicious too!