How to stay motivated with an injury? Help!

So, I'm only a few weeks in to really taking control of my eating and my fitness. I've been doing so well, dropped 8 lbs ( about 30 more to go) and generally feeling so much better in my own skin. My husband left me a few months ago and I have really evaluated what I want my life to look like now. Fit at forty is what I decided! Problem being, I've just ruptured my Achilles' tendon during kickboxing. I'm looking at surgery and about 10 weeks in a cast. How do I stay on track and what exercises will give me that same high? Any ideas out there?
Thanks all!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You're mostly just going to have to watch your intake and keep the diet side in order. There's not a ton you're going to be able to do in the cast that is going to be able to give you that kind of high. Unfortunately, injuries often accompany training so it's best to learn how to just deal with it and do what you can with it.

I've been at this good livin' stuff just shy of 3 years and I haven't gone a whole year yet without some kind of injury to contend with that keeps me out of the game for an extended period. Hell, my rotator cuffs still bother me on occasion after badly spraining both of them over a year ago.

Just watch your diet and do whatever exercise you can do...but make sure you allow yourself to heal.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Injury is just one of the obstacles people should prepare for. if it happens to me the game changes and you employ the im injured strategy that you have thought about beforehand. Theres plenty you cna do but it involves.
    1. focusing on your diet and making sure you cna deficit that way.
    2. Gaining knowledge, pleny of time to read up on sensible ways to deal with the injury and stay motivated.
    3. Working with your Dr and physio for rehabilitation. Taking good care of yourself for the best complete recovery. That probably means resting and patience. This is absolute priority.
    4. At some stage you can look into exercise paying attention to the limitations of having a cast. Thats where you need to talk to the physio, but theres the bike you pedal by hand and rope machine which are upper body as well as plenty of upper body resistance work you could do.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    You can still work out your upper body a bit. But you're gonna have to take it easy and watch your calorie intake as well. Do you know what kind of cast they're gonna fit you with?
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    If you like to swim you can try a DryPro cast protector

http://www.drycorp.com/
  • marniphillips
    marniphillips Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks all for the imput. Preparing for injury especially resonates with me. I have some pretty lofty fitness goals so I guess learning to deal early on may actually end up benefiting me. I see a lot of crunches in my future..........
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Honestly, I would ask your surgeon what limitations you have. You might be able to use a recumbent bike for cardio. You should be able to do upper body stuff.

I have had several injuries over the past few years of lifting. My right knee tends to partially pop out of the channel when my hips get severely out of alignment. I have tendinitis in both elbows. Luckily for me, my trainer is a sports medicine student AND a really smart bodybuilder. If I tell him I'm having pain somewhere, he tweaks my workout. It's just been in the last few months that he has allowed me to do cleans again, but only with a body bar. Before my first tendinitis, I was able to clean and press about 110 lbs.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    I'm living this right now, except I can't do any upper body. Talk to your dr/PT. Find out exactly what you are cleared for and do it...religiously! I've managed to still lose weight by watching my calories very closely and doing what exercise I can...despite 3 surgeries in under a year. I have another knee surgery later this year...so will be switching it up...again! I refuse to let the downtime and recovery get the best of me.

There's a woman in my gym whose been lifting weights despite being in a boot. It makes me smile every time I see her!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Wow i can imagine what you are going through with that injury. My husband just ruptured his 7 weeks ago and surgury is not an option in his case. However, he is still making it to the gym 3 times a week and doing what he can upper body wise. It took some figuring out and strategy but he refuses to let it keep him down. He uses dumbells at home when he cant get to the gym. the boot isint easy to maneuver around in and he is using a knee walker scooter thing instead of crutches. Good luck on your recovery!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    I haven't been injured but I've had two major surgeries and knocked off my routine for 4-6 weeks at a crack three times in the last 14 months. I went from running 60 miles a week and lifting 3 times a week to having to modify. SOmetimes are harder than others. Make sure you watch your diet. Don't let the time off get you down and search for exercises either from a website or find a trainer.
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    I have this same problem that comes up every now and again when I do {{{too much, too new, and too long}}} created from an from an old motorcycle injury. Interestingly enough...It is the opposite side of the ankle that was injured so long ago. I have never had surgery on the muscle itself but I do know plenty of athletes that have. If you do have the surgery do as your physical therapist suggests.

Resting the injury, stretching my entire body with yoga, weight lifting from a chair, swimming, gentle walking once it starts healing a bit (that's where I am at right now) and plenty of patience.

By the way take it easy emotionally with yourself...You have just had a tough go with the loss of your marriage. All the best to you on your entire healing process.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Whe I was just starting to get serious about my fitness I injured my knee in an accident while running (dog ran into me and tripped me). I had to find another fitness option and began strength training. This has worked well for me. I'm happy I began weight lifting. Good luck to you.
  • michellewalker6
    michellewalker6 Posts: 4 Member
    I have a spinal chord disease that was triggered by a fall injury giving me constant chronic pain in my back and leg. I'm trying to gently exercise whatever way I can but not sure what to give a go. I really need cardio stuff cos I need to loose weight. What do you suggest?