Which is better?

Options
A: Doing an early morning workout before breakfast is consumed
B: Doing a late night workout after dinner is consumed
C: Doing a mid day workout after breakfast and lunch but before dinner
Which is more efficient A, B, or C?
For more info I am a nurse that works in a Dr office and I spend 75% of my time sitting.

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The most common answer will be any of the three that you'll do regularly.

The only choice I'd caution against would be "B", as it may inhibit your ability to fall asleep quickly.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The one that is better is the one that fits better into your day to day life and you will adhere to. In regards to meal timing if that is what your question eludes to, then its of no consequence; so again, eat and train where you see fit.

Edit: My preference is "C" out of those listed, but if "C" does not fit into my schedule for I find I like doing "A" better, or the only possible chance I can go is "B", then forcing myself to do "C" was not better as over time, I will find an excuse not to do "C".
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I go early in the morning so I can go straight to cocktail hour when I get off work. I know that the more daytime tasks I have before exercise, the more reasons I will have not to do it. Makes the rest of the day feel good!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The only other angle I can see is that A looks like fasted cardio, which works for some and not others. I prefer to be fueled up and have had soemthing to eat.

B depends or be careful you dont eat too much.

Eating or not eating wont be too much of an issue if your workouts arent that long. As for which then what cajun said.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When you workout and whether it is in a fasted state is completely up to you. The best time to do a workout is when it fits into your schedule.

I (personally, because it works best for me) workout twice a day. Once in the mornings after breakfast and then again in the afternoons before I cook dinner (or sometimes while dinner is cooking).

It's all a personal preference, and you have to do what works best for you.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    The most common answer will be any of the three that you'll do regularly.

Yup. ANYTHING you can do each day, every day, for the next however many weeks you are alive.

Stick with that and you will see results.

• Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    People have different energy levels at different times of the day. I practically do all three, but have the most energy for endurance first thing (A) with no fuel. I do (C) some days, but find I have to fuel first, so I end up with less of a calorie deficit and my energy is variable. And for (B) I only do vinyasa yoga and that doesn't take much out of me or effect my bedtime, but I would agree that a high impact workout may keep you awake. And, again, fueling for your workout and energy levels are important to think about. I'd say workout whenever it is most convenient/you can consistently do it and you I'll have the most energy!
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    For me personally I do A I run then lift then eat... Do what works for you.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't workout after I eat - the food makes me sluggish and I get a stitch so I always go for first thing in the morning
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What about D) after work on the way home before dinner? :p

Do the one that fits in with your schedule. That's the best one!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine doing any work out, with the exception of walking, after eating. So for me, the correct answer usualy is sometime after lunch and before dinner. It depends 100% on your schedule and nothing else.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Whichever you prefer. I prefer A when running, B for walking and C for lifting.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    C is better.