Activity/Heart rate watches

Options
cmwhitt4
cmwhitt4 Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Can anyone help me out?

I'm looking for an activity watch that constantly monitors heart rate (withOUT a chest strap), activity, sleep, etc, but I every time I find one, it seems to be missing one thing or another.

I've had a fitbit charge HR, which worked great, but was too small, it was cutting circulation; I may end up going back for a larger size, or for the HR Surge.

I saw the TomTom Cardio Multisport (since it has built in HRM), but I don't know if it'll be good for daily/constant monitoring, or for sleep; on a side note, the iOS app has no ratings, and I can't be sure if its compatibility with my other apps.

I'm now using a Polar M400 with a chest strap, but I can only get readings if I'm doing an 'activity.' I select 'Indoor Other' if I'm relatively idle (piano, homework, etc), but I'm not sure if that's the appropriate use for it. It's much more comfortable than the Wahoo i was using before, but burdensome nonetheless.

I want a watch that will:
Talk to my apps (iOS Health, MFP)
Monitor and record HR reliably (on the wrist)
All day/all night monitoring

Should I go back to the fitbits in a larger size? What does the general consensus on wrist-worn activity trackers/HRM?

Replies

• CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi I will be interested in the answer to your question. I use a watch with a chest strap. I have been searching for something that does all day / night monitoring but haven't had any success. I'm in the UK but did check out Amazon - nothing.
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Get the Fitbit charge HR in the correct size. Has everything you are looking for and works well. Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there really isn't a reason to monitor HR all day.
  • cmwhitt4
    Options
    @Hulbert0089 I think I might do that

@brianpperkins I take stimulant medications, and while my doctor says I don't ~need~ to constantly need to monitor my HR/BP, I'd still like to keep a close eye on it (too look for patters, piece of mind, etc). It'd be particularly helpful in 'mapping' panic attacks, as far as exact frequency, duration, pique, intensity, and in general more precise feedback so I can look though myself; basically to have it 'all on paper' so to speak. While I am also prescribed (quite potent) anxiolytics to help prevent these episodes, I exercise extreme caution in taking them and only use them in extreme circumstances.

I also intend to start walking/jogging again soon, which I know these devices would only work to my benefit
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    You won't find a fitness tracker that does everything you want right now. The Basis and Surge both struggle accurate HR during exercise (light leakage interferes with the optical sensor ... a common issue right now, especially among the less wide bands). The TomTom and Polar use HR for activities only because from a fitness band perspective, all day HR is a nice to know (for some people) data point that doesn't factor in the calculations.

There are accurate, arm worn HR straps such as the Scosche Rhythm + and Mio Alpha ... but just like the TomTom Cardio ... they must be worn tightly to work properly.

There are medical devices designed for all day wear that track HR and periodic BP measurements ... note the word medical. Those devices are normally worn to assist in the diagnosis/identification of cardiac issues.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge HR and absolutely love it. I totally second the thought to just get the correct size. Why not put your smaller one on eBay or something to help you recoup some of the cost?
  • cmwhitt4
    Options
    @brianpperkins perhaps in 3-4 years when the next generation of watches come out, I might renew my search.

I'll look more into the medical side, thank you for your pointers

@sati18 I actually got to return it, since I had the receipt and was before the 15 day cutoff, so I suffered no losses
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would like to find a reliable way of measuring calories used but that seems an impossibility.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow that's great that you got to return it - £120 is a lot to lose! At least you have a good start then budget wise to pick your next tracker
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Apple watch will do all that.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    Apple watch will do all that.

Apple watch doesn't do sleep, nor does it last 24 hours.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    No, it won't do sleep. But it does monitor HR reliably all day and particularly during exercise. I just ran a long run with my new one and the HR was identical to the Garmin the whole way. Its also the only device perfectly integrated with the IOS heath app.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    So it doesn't do all the OP wants. Thanks for admitting that.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Withings Activity watches. I cannot remember if a HRM is integrated but it does track sleep and activities. I wanted that one because you can swim with it too but it wasn't available in my country.It is compatible with ios and uses the health app on the iphone (which I find very inaccurate btw!