my fitbit has been undercouting my miles..HELP

Options
I have a fitbit flex. I usually walk outside and walk until my 10K steps are met. I usually make this when it says i have 3 miles. To get to 5 i have to walk almost 13K steps.
Today it is storming and gross so I got on the treadmill. My treadmill said i walked 5.5 miles when my fitbit said i only did 4.5 miles. I hit 10K steps on mile 5.01 but according to my fitbit i had 3.4 when i hit it.

Which should i go by for mileage? did i walk 5.5 miles like the treadmill said or only 4.5 like my fitbit said?
Does this mean that i am actually working harder than what my fitbit is telling myfitnesspal?
I know walking doesn't burn much; but i was at a 3 incline and going at 4.2mph and it took 51 minutes to get to the 5.5 on the treadmill. My treadmill has a heart rate monitor and is programmed with my information and my heart rate stayed in the peak zone for 43 of those minutes and it said i burned 315 calories, but fitbit only gave me 115.

thanks

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You walked 5.5

Your fitbit is based on steps for milage and your stride isn't set right.

I wouldn't worry about it. You know you did 5.5 and probably burned a little more but it's best to under report the calories burned anyway!
  • mqmomma
    mqmomma Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You walked 5.5

I wouldn't worry about it. You know you did 5.5 and probably burned a little more but it's best to under report the calories burned anyway!

how do you correct your stride and why is it so off? a mile is a lot!

• mqmomma
    mqmomma Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i have a sole F80 treadmill if that helps.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    mqmomma wrote: »
    You walked 5.5

stride length is in the fitbit settings.
  • mrbyte
    mrbyte Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Go to the fitbit site. There are options there to set your stride. You will have to measure it by walking ten strides and take the average.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    mqmomma wrote: »
    You walked 5.5

Because stride is based on averages and your shorter than average i am assuming.

You can set your own stride. Fitbit has directions on the website. You just need to be able to know when you have walked a mile. Like on a track.