Lower back trouble during exercise

Options
Are there some exercises that could possibly help to alleviate lower back pain? Or ones to avoid that may make it worse?

Replies

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Try this website. It's got a lot of information regarding the management of low back pain. http://backstrengtheningexercisesva.blogspot.com/2015/01/back-strengthening-exercises-core_29.html

Here is a patient handout for low back pain exercises. Hope these help and you feel better soon.

cw3wuy1xix3p.jpg
  • loonylovegood0715
    loonylovegood0715 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try this website. It's got a lot of information regarding the management of low back pain. http://backstrengtheningexercisesva.blogspot.com/2015/01/back-strengthening-exercises-core_29.html

Here is a patient handout for low back pain exercises. Hope these help and you feel better soon.

cw3wuy1xix3p.jpg

Thank you!!
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You really need to be evaluated by a medical professional to determine the source of the pain.
    A bulging disc is treated differently than say, a simple muscle imbalance, or back pain from poor quality mattress - or even posture issues.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You really need to be evaluated by a medical professional to determine the source of the pain.
    A bulging disc is treated differently than say, a simple muscle imbalance, or back pain from poor quality mattress - or even posture issues.

Agree that you probably should see your physician. But I am a healthcare professional and this is one of the handouts given to patients who have been diagnosed with axial chronic low back pain.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is causing the back pain? Unless you know what the problem is, you cannot get advice on how to treat it.
  • loonylovegood0715
    loonylovegood0715 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

The problem is a mixture of bad posture and sleeping in a bad position for a long while.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have lower back pain, too, after working out. I stretch after my workouts, usually doing a lot of the stretches posted in the picture above.

But what I find most helpful is icing after the workout: 20 minutes of icing, 20 minutes without, and 20 minutes icing again.

I am not a medical professional. I'm just sharing what works for me (most of the time).
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I know I say it often but yoga! A Nice restorative or yin class is good for the back, once you have been cleared by a physician that the problems aren't disc related, etc.
  • MeraiahB
    MeraiahB Posts: 40 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    if you have an exercise ball or even a chair , lay on the floor and put your calfs on the chair or ball (ball is better because it uses more muscles.)take a deep breath lift butt off the ground and hold for the count of 3 and the slowly lower while breathing out. This helps strengthen the core muscles as well as working you butt. and it is easy on the back and stretches it out as well as strengthening the muscle to help alleviate the pain in the long run.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    I have lower back pain, too, after working out. I stretch after my workouts, usually doing a lot of the stretches posted in the picture above.

But what I find most helpful is icing after the workout: 20 minutes of icing, 20 minutes without, and 20 minutes icing again.

I am not a medical professional. I'm just sharing what works for me (most of the time).

This^

Stretching can help prevent injury. Not everyone needs the same amount of stretching....this is going to be a personal thing. I do short yoga routines a couple times a week, just to keep things in check.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Before you start workout ask the instructor if he or she could go over the correct form for the upcoming excercise. Suck your abs in to support your spine during lifting weights. When on the bench make sure your back is not arched. Make sure no light goes through that lower back. Meaning, flatten the back against the bench by straightening and lengthening your lower back and by sucking your abs on. I've been working out for over 14 years, 8 of which is now at the gym. I listen to these instructions by our fitness instructors. Above all get yourself checked by a doctor to make sure all is okay.
  • missuswells
    missuswells Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis and that 'cat-dog' or 'cat-camel' stretch is my favorite. Very soothing.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    slp51 wrote: »

This^

Stretching can help prevent injury. Not everyone needs the same amount of stretching....this is going to be a personal thing. I do short yoga routines a couple times a week, just to keep things in check.

Ditto. This.

I've had a few bouts with lower back pain recently (relaxed a touch too soon going down on a deadlift) and found while working out and stretching during, I actually felt better than when I didnt.

Only you can determine if it's something you can work through or not.

If you feel you can, and you want to take it easy, stay away from the big 2 (squats, deadlift) since they will put a lot of strain on your lower back no matter how good your form.