Egg whites?

Options
Leana088
Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
Is it cheaper to buy a carton of egg whites, or to just buy the eggs and crack them yourself? Just wondering...

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If your not using the yolks, then I would suggest just buying the carton whites, the though gives me the hebejebes though.
  • Leana088
    Options
    If your not using the yolks, then I would suggest just buying the carton whites, the though gives me the hebejebes though.

Yeah, if I could. Because none of the supermarkets where I live sell the cartons. That's why I'm asking. Wondering if it's worth buying the eggs and just cracking them. Or if it will be so expensive that I might as well just use the whole thing and use less eggs
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I use the carton of egg whites. Not sure if it's cheaper or not (never broke down the math) I also use regular eggs too, usually adding 1-2 eggs to my egg whites when I make scrambled eggs.
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

Yeah, if I could. Because none of the supermarkets where I live sell the cartons. That's why I'm asking. Wondering if it's worth buying the eggs and just cracking them. Or if it will be so expensive that I might as well just use the whole thing and use less eggs
    Is there a medical reason why you don't want the yolks? I buy farm fresh from a neighbor for 3.00 a dozen.......one of the cheapest and best sources of all that is good in food, right there.

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The carton of liquid egg whites. I do 3/4th of a cup each morning. I'm not sure how many eggs that would be. But since I don't use the yolk, I just buy cartons.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well, presumably you know how expensive a dozen eggs is at your local supermarket. Where I live, it’s about $3. A carton of egg whites is $3.49 for a 500ml container that’s the equivalent of 16 egg whites. Draw your own conclusions.

If I separated whole eggs into yolks and whites, I’d be compelled to turn the yolks into custard :yum: . I like the whole egg too much, though I do occasionally add extra protein to omelettes with egg whites.
  • Leana088
    Options

Is there a medical reason why you don't want the yolks? I buy farm fresh from a neighbor for 3.00 a dozen.......one of the cheapest and best sources of all that is good in food, right there.

Nope. Just because more protein for less calories.
  • Emilia777
    Options

I hear you there. You can always eat high-protein low-cal foods with your eggs, like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. This way you don’t have to do any egg gymnastics and still get lots of protein for your caloric buck.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I hear you there. You can always eat high-protein low-cal foods with your eggs, like Greek yogurt or cottage cheese. This way you don’t have to do any egg gymnastics and still get lots of protein for your caloric buck.

Thanks for the tip! ;)
  • neanderthin
    Options

Ok. The versatility of a whole egg in everyday cooking outweighs the boogyness of consuming just the whites, and I could think of other sources to reduce calories from then tossing yolks.
  • Leana088
    Options

Ok. The versatility of a whole egg in everyday cooking outweighs the boogyness of consuming just the whites, and I could think of other sources to reduce calories from then tossing yolks.

"Boogyness" LOL! :lol: I usually don't use eggs much other than eating them as is. Or with a piece of toast.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

Thanks for the tip! ;)

Honestly, I bought some egg whites last week, and I just ate an omelette with 2 whole eggs and added egg whites - it’s just not worth it, whole eggs are so much tastier! In the future, I’ll follow my own advice and just eat whole eggs with cheese on the side or something :smile:
  • Leana088
    Options
    12 eggs is about $1.50. A small carton of whites which equals 6 eggs is about $4. Why in hell would any sane person buy the egg whites? I eat like 6 in one sitting.

Yeah me too. So might as well just crack'em.

I actually have this weird fascination with cracking eggs... it's very satisfying for some reason hahaha.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Aldi sells the carton for 1.99 and eggs for 1.89 here. I feel like it may be almost equal.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It ends up being about the same cost for me. I don't really like the carton whites because they are watery. I mostly use whole eggs, but sometimes I need just the white to add low calorie protein and just plain have more food, so the animals get the couple yolks I leave out. :)

They line up. when I make eggs because they know they'll get some (even if it's not my yolks.) Lol. We go through a lot of eggs. ...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I know in my country the plain whites are more expensive.. I'm guessing because it's sort of a 'service' of offering separated eggs in the first place..
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Buying eggs whole and throwing out the yolk is significantly cheaper! You think its a waste of eggs but trust me I do that all the time when I want egg whites. Its just a little extra step but it works. And that way if you just buy the eggs whole you can always easily switch to having real eggs when you just wanna splurge on one day with the yolks.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Buying eggs whole and throwing out the yolk is significantly cheaper! You think its a waste of eggs but trust me I do that all the time when I want egg whites. Its just a little extra step but it works. And that way if you just buy the eggs whole you can always easily switch to having real eggs when you just wanna splurge on one day with the yolks.
    Splurge on what is one of the most nutritionally packed capsule in nature...interesting.