What REALLY inspired you to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic. I was diagnosed in 2008. My sugar control has always been up and down. On my last doctor visit my A1C was about seven and the doctor wanted to put me on a SECOND drug. No way! I'm already on Metformin since 2008. I've lost 17 lbs since that visit and my fasting sugar is averaging in the upper 70's to the low 80's, down from averaging 120. I go back to the doctor in June. I'm hoping my A1C will be good enough to get off Metformin.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic. I was diagnosed in 2008. My sugar control has always been up and down. On my last doctor visit my A1C was about seven and the doctor wanted to put me on a SECOND drug. No way! I'm already on Metformin since 2008. I've lost 17 lbs since that visit and my fasting sugar is averaging in the upper 70's to the low 80's, down from averaging 120. I go back to the doctor in June. I'm hoping my A1C will be good enough to get off Metformin.

Thank you! :)
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    They told me that I was at risk for a heart attack because my cholesterol was so high...This was the shock that I needed to FINALLY get my butt in gear and do something about my escalating weight...I have lost forty one pounds since the end of November, and I haven't looked back...Hopefully, I'll be able to lose another thirty more, although it is REALLY slowing down at this point...Haven't given up, though...Am in the "overweight" category for the first time in, about, five years...Am shooting for the low end of overweight...I have been there before, and it is a good weight for me...
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, my dad was diagnosed with diabetes & started tracking his sugar and food intake to control it. He & my mom lost a bunch of weight just from changing their eating habits, which helped me realize that even small changes can make a huge difference. Unfortunately, after my dad got his diabetes under control and was able to stop taking meds for it, he didn't have a reason to keep track anymore & gained all his weight back. Maybe now I can be his motivation to get back on track. :]
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    daw0518 wrote: »
    A few years ago, my dad was diagnosed with diabetes & started tracking his sugar and food intake to control it. He & my mom lost a bunch of weight just from changing their eating habits, which helped me realize that even small changes can make a huge difference. Unfortunately, after my dad got his diabetes under control and was able to stop taking meds for it, he didn't have a reason to keep track anymore & gained all his weight back. Maybe now I can be his motivation to get back on track. :]

Oh, I hope so! He gave you motivation; now he needs it from you. Best of luck to both of you, and to your mom too.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Getting extremely scared when I learned I had a plaque in my left eye and stenosis in my carotid. This puts me at risk of stroke or heart attack.

The fear gave me the motivation to start, but more positive benefits keep me going.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Naaer wrote: »
    They told me that I was at risk for a heart attack because my cholesterol was so high...This was the shock that I needed to FINALLY get my butt in gear and do something about my escalating weight...I have lost forty one pounds since the end of November, and I haven't looked back...Hopefully, I'll be able to lose another thirty more, although it is REALLY slowing down at this point...Haven't given up, though...Am in the "overweight" category for the first time in, about, five years...Am shooting for the low end of overweight...I have been there before, and it is a good weight for me...

You are doing great! You probably need to slow down as you lose more to keep it healthy. As long as it's going away, you're doing great. Even if it's only a pound a month, it's better than gaining a pound every two months. In this day and age where everything now happens so quickly, weight loss doesn't follow suit!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    daw0518 wrote: »

That has a nice circular track. He inspired you and now you can inspire him. That's what family is for.

As a fellow diabetic I hope he loses it again.
  • fitbunny93
    fitbunny93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My jeans no longer fit me. Pretty much every pair didn't fit. So instead of losing weight, I bought a bigger size. When that size was getting tight and I resorted to leggings.... it just finally hit.
    Also, summer is coming up! I want to have one summer where I'm not embarrassed to go to the beach and rock a bathing suit!
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It wasn't any single event that inspired me to lose weight, rather several over a few years time. Left shoulder pain (went in emergency room for heart check), pain in legs from veins/bad valves, hurting my back during a small twisting motion, and finally huffing and puffing up 4 flights of stairs. I'm down 46 pounds from my all-time high of 200 now with 9 more pounds to go. It is so worth all the hard work.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Getting extremely scared when I learned I had a plaque in my left eye and stenosis in my carotid. This puts me at risk of stroke or heart attack.

The fear gave me the motivation to start, but more positive benefits keep me going.

You are way too young for this! I'm so happy you are getting positive benefits; keep it going. It's amazing all the difficulties that being overweight causes. And that's just physically. Mentally, it's tough as well. I cry when I see the posts by overweight people, especially young people, who say they've given up, that they can't stop binging, that nobody cares about them, and that they would rather eat what they want than be healthy. Breaks my heart. That's one of the reasons I love MFP - we can all support each other.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Two things

1) my wallet was tired of buying new sets of pants and shorts every season change. Seriously. Every time I lose a size now, I don't have to go shopping. I've got a full wardrobe for a wide range of sizes over the past several years.

2) we are required to get blood work for our workout health insurance for discounts. My results for cholesterol and triglycerides weren't pretty for a young woman. It made me sad and I wanted to get my health in check.
  • Jedrasika
    Jedrasika Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It was a documentary about morbidly obese people. People, who died because they were too fat to walk or even get up. People, who ignored any signs of their body that screamed "stop" and continued the unhealthy lifestyle. I was crying when the documentary ended, because I knew that I'll be like that in 20 years, if I do not stop. And now that my mother's health is decreasing rapidly because of her weight, I get even more afraid. I do not wish to die like this, I don't want to not be able to move freely when I'm 40 years old. I want to be healthy and I want to be pretty...
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    Two things

1) my wallet was tired of buying new sets of pants and shorts every season change. Seriously. Every time I lose a size now, I don't have to go shopping. I've got a full wardrobe for a wide range of sizes over the past several years.

2) we are required to get blood work for our workout health insurance for discounts. My results for cholesterol and triglycerides weren't pretty for a young woman. It made me sad and I wanted to get my health in check.

Isn't it fun shopping out of your closet and finding things that you outgrew years now fitting you?
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Nothing superficial really. I know losing weight won't give me the look or the body I want because its not in my genetics. I started seriously trying to lose weight when I realized I weighed over 300 lbs. I had been having tingling sensations in my limbs years before I decided to lose weight so I can't really say my weight loss journey began because of health issues-- besides being beyond obese. I also hate my life to the point where I want to do a complete 180 change, so I'm trying to make weight for the military.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Reconnecting with old college boyfriend who is EXTREMELY fit at 50!!! We are doing the long distance thing and only get to see each other 2-3 times a year (right now) due to jobs and family obligations. We make mini-vacations out of our visits, jetting off to a fun city to play. Each time we meet in an airport, I want to make him do a double take. Vanity at it's finest. B)
    ETA: That and the fact that I am moving to Florida in a month...let's just say that I fully understand that it will be much harder to hide my body in a tropical environ. lol :p
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I was only 20lbs. away from 200lbs. That was a wake up call for me. I was determined that I was not going to reach that 200lb mark and the way I was going, it wasn't going to take long for me to get there. I stumbled upon MFP and here I am a little over 2 years later and still logging. I've had my ups and downs but I'm not that far from reaching my goal. At my age, you have to really watch it because of all the different types of health conditions that can arise. I already have RA, OA, and osteoporosis so don't want to make my life any more miserable than it is, and heart attack and stroke runs in my family. It is a hard journey but it can be done.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm doing it for my son. I want him to see that being overweight is not a good way to live. I want him to know that his mum is going to hopefully be around for him instead of being a fat unhealthy sack of sad.

I'm 25lb down since January and I'm feeling so much better in myself. I am 10lb away from my initial goal weight but I reckon I'm going to keep going.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Reconnecting with old college boyfriend who is EXTREMELY fit at 50!!! We are doing the long distance thing and only get to see each other 2-3 times a year (right now) due to jobs and family obligations. We make mini-vacations out of our visits, jetting off to a fun city to play. Each time we meet in an airport, I want to make him do a double take. Vanity at it's finest. B)
    ETA: That and the fact that I am moving to Florida in a month...let's just say that I fully understand that it will be much harder to hide my body in a tropical environ. lol :p

I have a friend who gains weight when she has a boyfriend and loses it when they break up. I've never understood that, as I am like you - if I'm dating someone, for some reason the pounds magically fall off. Of course I haven't dated anyone in 12 years, so I'm having to work for it now, hah! Yep, Florida is tough, but I'm sure you'll get there!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Realizing at 32 that I was a decade younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with diabetes, and I was on that same path towards trouble.