What REALLY inspired you to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    garreight wrote: »
    When I realized that I was only 20lbs. away from 200lbs. That was a wake up call for me. I was determined that I was not going to reach that 200lb mark and the way I was going, it wasn't going to take long for me to get there. I stumbled upon MFP and here I am a little over 2 years later and still logging. I've had my ups and downs but I'm not that far from reaching my goal. At my age, you have to really watch it because of all the different types of health conditions that can arise. I already have RA, OA, and osteoporosis so don't want to make my life any more miserable than it is, and heart attack and stroke runs in my family. It is a hard journey but it can be done.

Yep, as I said in my original post here, I was barely 30 pounds away from 200. And I'm only 5'2", NOT GOOD! I am so grateful that I found MFP!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic and had high blood pressure. I was kind of trying to lose the weight, not very hard. Over two years I lost about 30 lbs. I got divorced and started looking around, again, I sort of was trying to lose some weight. I met someone and it was getting serious, we did get married and talked about being able to travel and do things together. I told my doctor I wanted to lose 75 lbs. She agreed. When I told my husband, prior to the wedding, my doctor wanted me to lose the weight his response was "you'll look like a stick!" Not very encouraging. After the wedding I was put on insulin, now full blown T2 diabetic. My daughter got pregnant and I decided that I wanted to be more healthy, reduce or eliminate some or all of my meds. I wanted to be able to do the things my husband said he wanted to do together and I wanted to be around for my granddaughter, and be able to do things with her. I found MFP and was doing well, even though my husband went through several medical issues, in and out of the hospital and emergency room for over a year. He underwent a severe personality change and I went into a depression and gained back some of what I had lost, discouraged I dropped out of logging on MFP. At the new year, I decided the hell with him, I am doing this for myself and started back with the program. I've lost 11 lbs, it's slow but it is staying off. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to put up with the negative attitude of my husband but now I have two beautiful granddaughters to spend time with and my son will be getting married sometime this fall and will be gaining a son along with a wife. I'm in this for the long haul now.
  • astrid673
    astrid673 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to my cousins wedding and realized that if I didn't do something, I would probably be alone my whole life. I've been miserable at my size forever, but the wedding just made me realize I was done with being my size
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Realizing at 32 that I was a decade younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with diabetes, and I was on that same path towards trouble.

Your dad was only 42 when he was had diabetes? Yikes! Please, please, take care of yourself.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    At 5'2", I was a mere 12 pounds away from 200!
    In addition to that I was:
    Very uncomfortable in airplane seats.
    Growing out of size 18 pants.
    Eating entire cakes at one sitting.
    Hearing fat songs from my youngest child (he called me Baby Beluga)
    Depressed
    Sitting constantly
    I could go on and on!

I started losing slowly but surely by simply cutting portions.
    Then I started walking.
    Then I started walking a lot, elliptical, lifting, step classes, boxercise, etc.
    I was so happy when I could sit with my knees up to my chest!
    Fit extremely comfortably into my airplane seat!
    Could fit into size 6 jeans!
    Extra small tops!
    No longer knock things off tables with my huge butt!
    When I heard my youngest son say, "that's enough mom, time to stop losing!"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Saw a not-so-old picture of myself in an Armani suit I could no longer fit in.

That was it - realized I was getting older, and that I wasn't far away from looking like a sack of ****ty potatoes unless I got myself back in shape.

Plus I was spending a lot more time dealing with people, and the plain fact of the matter is the better looking you are, the easier it is to get things moving your way. Fair or not, that's the world we live in.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Depressed
    Sitting constantly
    I could go on and on!

Then I started walking.
    Then I started walking a lot, elliptical, lifting, step classes, boxercise, etc.
    Extra small tops!

Your youngest son is obviously a sweetheart! Congratulations to you!
  • RougeSara
    RougeSara Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started rapier fencing which is very active and to be serious about it I knew I had to lose weight to compete.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My mom died of cancer a few years ago. She was overweight most of her adult life and the last few years she was in pain and increasingly stuck in a chair. Walking was hard for her. She was a great person and I loved her.
    So last year I got up to my highest weight and was in the obese category suddenly. Dh lost weight as a side effect of a medication he was on and I outweighed him. I'm starting to notice it is harder to climb stairs without being out of breath. I don't have much energy. Clothes don't fit well. I'm having trouble getting comfortable in bed. I'm having more pain. My dd is complaining about how loud I snore when I didn't used to snore. Then I'm walking with my dh and dd on 2 occasions and I can't keep up. They are 5 feet ahead of me and I'm going as fast as I can. I'm out of breath, my leg hurts badly and I just want to sit down. It wasn't the end of a 5 mile hike... just a couple of blocks. I'm only 40. I was mad. I told myself that I'm not going to be stuck in a chair, sick, have people walk slow for me or bring the car around because I can't walk anywhere if I can prevent it by losing weight.
    I signed up for MFP and here I am 20 lbs lighter and at my lowest weight in 5 years after 6 months. Another 10 pounds and I will no longer be overweight. Lots of improvements to the quality of my life just by losing some weight.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Pain
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Depressed
    Sitting constantly
    I could go on and on!

Then I started walking.
    Extra small tops!

Your youngest son is obviously a sweetheart! Congratulations to you!
    He was only 5 so I set him straight and forgave him!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    I had known I needed to get off my butt and do something about my creeping weight for a while, but was kinda able to ignore it. Then my husband decided to take up photography as a hobby. Suddenly I was constantly faced with pictures of how big I had gotten and how far it was from my mental picture of myself. Then my husband took this picture at my daughter's 3rd birthday party.
    g16f0m7hqgmm.jpg

I was horrified. It looked like I had a second set of boobs! I thought I looked good in that outfit, then I saw that picture and that's the straw that broke the camel's back. Not long after that I got serious about losing weight. It took some trial and error before I figured out what worked, but that's where it started.

Isn't it funny how when the weight creeps up on you, that you still see yourself as that person you used to be until you see yourself unexpectedly in a picture, or in a mirror, and then get the shock of your life?

So true. I knew I was fat, I avoided getting on a scale, I knew what clothes didn't fit (although I never could look at clothes and see them as what would fit me, so just avoided buying them), but my mental picture was still off, and so it's not surprising it was a photo that shocked me into taking action in large part.

The weird thing now is that I really don't feel like I look that much different (and I feel basically the same, just more energetic), so it almost surprises me when people who haven't seen me since I lost the weight see such a huge difference.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I realized I was planning my days to make one trip down the stairs in the morning (my bedroom is
    the 2nd floor), and one trip up the stairs in the evening, just because it was too hard for me to do.
    That's stupid.
    Contributing factors are that I was REALLY unhappy with how I looked & felt, plus some of my
    bloodwork numbers weren't where they should be, and I know that being overweight is a major
    contributor to many diseases.

[ETA: seeing the comment just above, about avoiding the scale, I remember that I'd do that too...
    at the doctor's office. They were annoyed that I'd refuse to be measured, have my temp taken, etc.
    But if it wasn't related to why I was there, there's no reason to do it. I knew I was fat. It doesn't
    really matter if I was 20 lb overweight or 110 (which is where I started). I wasn't ready to change
    and no amount of them printing "obese" on my chart - which they always give copies of the day's
    visit as a patient leaves - would do anything.]

Now, I sometimes run up the stairs at work, and usually do them easily a dozen times a day.
    About half of most work hours, most days, I will be standing.
    If someone could have explained to me how MUCH better I'd feel (and look) even getting _near_ a
    healthy weight (I'm still 20 lb above the _top_ healthy weight, by BMI), I would have done this
    10 years ago, or better yet, not gotten fat in the first place!
    Oh, and I _love_ weighing in at the doctor's office now! :smiley:

51637601.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    My doctorsaid he wanted to see me at 160. I was about 225 at the time.

I'm pretty easy. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who gains weight when she has a boyfriend and loses it when they break up. I've never understood that, as I am like you - if I'm dating someone, for some reason the pounds magically fall off. Of course I haven't dated anyone in 12 years, so I'm having to work for it now, hah! Yep, Florida is tough, but I'm sure you'll get there!

I'm the same way with gaining weight when I'm in a relationship - more cooking, going out to restaurants, cookie and candy movie nights, ice cream dates, "no time" for workouts. Break ups cause me stress, then I don't eat, lose all the weight, more gym time. Guess I'm an emotional eater but in the opposite way of most people, I eat when I'm happy.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    I was pre-diabetic and had high blood pressure. I was kind of trying to lose the weight, not very hard. Over two years I lost about 30 lbs. I got divorced and started looking around, again, I sort of was trying to lose some weight. I met someone and it was getting serious, we did get married and talked about being able to travel and do things together. I told my doctor I wanted to lose 75 lbs. She agreed. When I told my husband, prior to the wedding, my doctor wanted me to lose the weight his response was "you'll look like a stick!" Not very encouraging. After the wedding I was put on insulin, now full blown T2 diabetic. My daughter got pregnant and I decided that I wanted to be more healthy, reduce or eliminate some or all of my meds. I wanted to be able to do the things my husband said he wanted to do together and I wanted to be around for my granddaughter, and be able to do things with her. I found MFP and was doing well, even though my husband went through several medical issues, in and out of the hospital and emergency room for over a year. He underwent a severe personality change and I went into a depression and gained back some of what I had lost, discouraged I dropped out of logging on MFP. At the new year, I decided the hell with him, I am doing this for myself and started back with the program. I've lost 11 lbs, it's slow but it is staying off. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to put up with the negative attitude of my husband but now I have two beautiful granddaughters to spend time with and my son will be getting married sometime this fall and will be gaining a son along with a wife. I'm in this for the long haul now.

What a brave and wonderful story!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I realized I was planning my days to make one trip down the stairs in the morning (my bedroom is the 2nd floor),
    and one trip up the stairs in the evening, just because it was too hard for me to do.
    That's stupid.
    Contributing factors are that I was REALLY unhappy with how I looked & felt, plus some of my bloodwork numbers
    weren't where they should be, and I know that being overweight is a major contributor to many diseases.

Now, I sometimes run up the stairs at work, and usually do them easily a dozen times a day. About half of most work
    hours, most days, I will be standing.
    If someone could have explained to me how MUCH better I'd feel (and look) even getting _near_ a healthy weight (I'm
    still 20 lb above the _top_ healthy weight, by BMI)
    , I would have done this 10 years ago, or better yet, not gotten
    fat in the first place!

51637601.png

What a great testimony!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    astrid673 wrote: »
    I went to my cousins wedding and realized that if I didn't do something, I would probably be alone my whole life. I've been miserable at my size forever, but the wedding just made me realize I was done with being my size

And it will happen, slowly but surely, but definitely a lot faster than it took you to put the weight on. Be patient, because it WILL happen!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Realizing at 32 that I was a decade younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with diabetes, and I was on that same path towards trouble.

Your dad was only 42 when he was had diabetes? Yikes! Please, please, take care of yourself.

Yeah. He'll be 61 in nine days, but it was quite a wakeup call when it hit me.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My mom died of cancer a few years ago. She was overweight most of her adult life and the last few years she was in pain and increasingly stuck in a chair. Walking was hard for her. She was a great person and I loved her.
    So last year I got up to my highest weight and was in the obese category suddenly. Dh lost weight as a side effect of a medication he was on and I outweighed him. I'm starting to notice it is harder to climb stairs without being out of breath. I don't have much energy. Clothes don't fit well. I'm having trouble getting comfortable in bed. I'm having more pain. My dd is complaining about how loud I snore when I didn't used to snore. Then I'm walking with my dh and dd on 2 occasions and I can't keep up. They are 5 feet ahead of me and I'm going as fast as I can. I'm out of breath, my leg hurts badly and I just want to sit down. It wasn't the end of a 5 mile hike... just a couple of blocks. I'm only 40. I was mad. I told myself that I'm not going to be stuck in a chair, sick, have people walk slow for me or bring the car around because I can't walk anywhere if I can prevent it by losing weight.
    I signed up for MFP and here I am 20 lbs lighter and at my lowest weight in 5 years after 6 months. Another 10 pounds and I will no longer be overweight. Lots of improvements to the quality of my life just by losing some weight.

I am so happy for you! What a great testimony!