Protein Bars

Options
slp51
slp51 Posts: 201 Member
Do you eat them? If so, what brand is your favorite? I recently discovered Perfectly Simple by Zone Perfect. Six ingredients, 10 G protein, 190 calories. I like having one as a snack right after a workout.

BUT...I'm open to other ideas. I just don't want the really high calorie ones, please.

Replies

• marcied2015
    marcied2015 Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Quest are the Best! Chocolate Chip Cookie dough. 190 calories you can find them at GNC
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    They're nice. But not good if you're losing weight since they're all extremely calorie dense, I have yet to find one that is really a low calorie snack, while providing adequate amounts of protein.
    Because if you're cutting, and have lets say a 1200 calorie limit. Most protein bars are 200-400 calories, which is more than a good amount of various meals.
    a protein bar for 10g protein though? Personally i'd prefer to drink 200ml protein milk, for half the calories, same amount of protein, and spend the other 100 calories on a normal snack.

Protein powders would be much better imo, for losing weight, if you want a snack after a workout, as you can get way more protein for way less calories and many many MANY more flavours too, depending on the websites or shops you go to for them.
    But if you're maintaining or trying to gain weight (ie, just have a decent/high calorie limit), protein bars are pretty good nice then :)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    My favorite is probably a tie between Quest's Double Chocolate Chunk, S'mores, and Power Bar's Vanilla Protein Plus bar. :) I recommend just trying them individually until you find a brand/flavor you like, no use in spending a lot of money for cases of bars you have never tried before! I usually find pretty good deals at my local Vitamin Shoppe, their prices are generally much lower than GNC and their rewards program is better, too.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Spyer116, never heard of protein milk??? Will have to look in my grocery store.

I do use protein powder, too, but each scoop is 100 calories; then you gotta add in the rest of the ingredients.

Via MFP, I'm on 1490 per day but try to keep it to 1300-1350.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    The ones I find here are not worth the calories to me. 250 calories for 10g of protein. :neutral:

Yeah. My whey shake has 106 calories for 24grams of protein. Better deal to me. :)
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    slp51 wrote: »
    Spyer116, never heard of protein milk??? Will have to look in my grocery store.

I do use protein powder, too, but each scoop is 100 calories; then you gotta add in the rest of the ingredients.

Via MFP, I'm on 1490 per day but try to keep it to 1300-1350.

Well here, i've only ever seen one brand. "Avonmore - Protein Milk", its a low fat higher protein milk. 5g carb, 5g protein, and 1g fat, per 100ml which 49 calories (or 98cals for my usual 200ml amount)
    It tastes the exact same as normal milk as far as I can tell as well. I either drink it on its own, or use it with my casein protein powder. The two combined add up to 205 calories and 33g protein. :smile:

What ingredients though? They come in flavours? So just 1 scoop + water, could give you 20-23g protein, 100 calories. And if you get a good brand/flavour, a really really tasty drink :smiley:
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I eat Quest bars but for a while I was eating Think Thin Lean bars or something like that. I think they had around 10-15 grams of protein at 150 calories and 5 grams of sugar.

If I do a shake, I have a scoop of Quest peanut butter powder, 1 cup water, some ice cubes, one dark chocolate square, 1/2 tbsp of chocolate sugar free instant pudding mix, and 1/2 tbsp of butterscotch sugar free instant pudding mix. Delish! It's about the same amount of calories as a quest bar. :sunglasses:

Though, I'm sure the shake will be more enjoyable when it gets warmer out. :neutral:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    They don't taste all that spiffy, but the Life Choice protein bars you can find at Walmart (in the cereal aisle) are around 170 calories and have 18 or so grams of protein. I find the peanut butter version to be fairly tolerable, but I would not recommend the chocolate mint variety.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have now tried a couple of Quest bar flavors and they're pretty good (180-190 calories and 21g protein for the ones I've tried)! Clif Builders bars are also good (270ish calories for 20g of protein); I really like the chocolate mint ones.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    New to Protein Bars. I understand how protein is in food such as meat and eggs but is the protein in protein bars a natural product or made up in a laboratory somewhere. Sorry to be so ignorant on the subject. I'm trying to eat healthier but not sure if protein bars would be part of this.
    I have started running and one an hour or so before might be better for me than a heavier meal. Thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A real protein bar will have 10g of protein per 100 calories, IMO.

I eat Quest too, but honestly for close to 200 calories, I'll be more full after eating a Greek yogurt and an apple.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Quest bars are pretty gross, but a lot of other people seem to like them, so they are worth a try for you I guess so you can decide for yourself. I like the Pure Protein bars myself.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are my favorite.

My favorite flavors are Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (190 calories), White Chocolate Raspberry (190 calories), Cookies & Cream (180 calories), Apple Pie, S'Mores (180 calories), & the Fudge Brownie (170 calories).

They have a new Mint flavor I want to try.
  • mistydm76
    mistydm76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I go on the cheaper side. Nature Valley makes a protein bar. It has 10g of protein 190 cal. And low carbs. I eat it for breakfast and it keeps me full till lunch.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's gotta have at least 20g of protein for me to be interested.

I love Think Thin Chocolate Fudge. Sometimes I'll eat Quest Cookies and Cream or Cookie Dough and they're okay but they taste like artificial sweetener to me and I'm not a huge fan. Can't argue with the macros though. And yes, I've tried microwaving them.
  • blookabaugh
    blookabaugh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars for the health (yeah right) really for the candy bar like taste. I have tried Balance Bars, but they are 200 calories. But lately I have been eating Fiber One Protein Bars---140 calories and 6 gms protein. They are a quick go-to snack or breakfast replacement. My favorite is the Caramel Nut Chewy Bars.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    mistydm76 wrote: »
    I go on the cheaper side. Nature Valley makes a protein bar. It has 10g of protein 190 cal. And low carbs. I eat it for breakfast and it keeps me full till lunch.
    This. Bonus is real nuts are the first ingredients and waaaay lower sugar/carb than anything else I've found. PS. Walmart makes a Great Value knockoff which is almost identical and even cheaper yet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    mistydm76 wrote: »
    This. Bonus is real nuts are the first ingredients and waaaay lower sugar/carb than anything else I've found. PS. Walmart makes a Great Value knockoff which is almost identical and even cheaper yet.

Yes but if it's protein you're after, it's not a good ration at all. They're good sources of fat, not protein. Doesn't mean they're not a good choice though, I just laugh a bit when I see 200 calorie bars with 10g of protein being called 'protein bars', considering that you can buy regular BREAD that has as much protein for 200 calories.
  • bigandstripy
    bigandstripy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get Quest bars, too. I find them really filling so it's worth the macros. Some other bars I have been recommended are a measly 10g of protein and not even filling. They are just empty calories in my eyes. I tried the Nature Valley peanut one the other day - not a lot of protein, relatively small, not filling and didn't taste nice. Bleurgh.

Trek Peanut Power is only 10g but it's really tasty and filling. If I don't have a Quest on me, I'll grab that Trek from Boots.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    New to Protein Bars. I understand how protein is in food such as meat and eggs but is the protein in protein bars a natural product or made up in a laboratory somewhere.

For protein powder, mostly it's whey, which is obtained from milk, so basically like the protein you get from dairy. Some are based on egg white or soy, and there are others for vegans who don't want soy (I guess) like pea protein and hemp. Looking at the two types of protein bars I have at the moment, the Quest seems to be whey/milk protein based, and the Think Thin seems to be a combination of whey and soy, with some casein (also a milk protein).

They usually have artificial sweeteners too.

There are other products that serve a similar purpose if you have an issue with protein powder or some of the other ingredients. I kind of like the Epic bars (similar calories and protein), but they will have more fat, fewer carbs, and not work for vegetarians as they are basically jerky.

I'd say read the ingredients and see if they work for you or not. I tend to prefer whole foods, for the most part, but don't have a problem with an occasional protein bar or shake (or adding some powder to my oatmeal, mainly) within the context of my overall diet. From personal experience it's kind of easy to start eating them basically as candy bars, so I try to watch for that, but I sometimes need something to eat when out and about and they are easier to keep in my purse and have available no matter what than some yogurt, and I tend to buy a bunch and have them at work, so have been eating them regularly just for that reason (which reminds me I should stock up on yogurt and berries for work).

Like Francl27, I don't really see the point of bars until the protein is about 20 grams/200 calories, so I tend to stay away from the ones that are really more carb-focused unless I'm biking or hiking and they seem like they'd taste good and are easy to carry. For easy to carry around carbs there are just too many other options that I like better, like a banana or really any fruit or dried fruit, and for fat with a bit of protein you can't beat nuts.