Popcorn

Options
I just got some organic popcorn from Trader Joe's and want to have a big bowl (around 5-6 cups popped) later this evening for a snack and I have two questions for the forum.

1) when you measure the serving size in cups do you measure before or after you pop it? I intend to do it by weight but I've noticed that sometimes the database does not offer that option for some foods.

2) I want to reduce the amount of butter I use. What does everyone put on their popcorn to make it flavorful without adding a lot of calories? I have a pretty nice selection of herbs and spices on hand.

Replies

• jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You measure the serving size after it's popped - usually 1/4 cup of kernels makes a pretty hefty bowl (around 5 cups I'm guessing). I usually just drizzle some EVOO on it, or maybe some cinnamon and a bit of salt. I've heard that nutritional yeast is good, but I've never tried it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    You measure the serving size after it's popped - usually 1/4 cup of kernels makes a pretty hefty bowl (around 5 cups I'm guessing). I usually just drizzle some EVOO on it, or maybe some cinnamon and a bit of salt. I've heard that nutritional yeast is good, but I've never tried it.

See

now

See,that doesn't make lot of sense to me. The data measures it in cups and I want to go by weight. It isn't liquid so why wouldn't you weigh it? Either way it should weigh as much popped as it did raw I guess. Although there is always some waste in un-popped kernels. 1/4 cup is about what I planned on using. I plan on using some butter. Maybe Cajun seasoning? I'm more of a salty savory person than a sweet. Although a litle brown sugar and cinnamon would probably be good too....
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Is there no info on the packet? There is an entry in the database for Homemade - Popcorn (plain) which is in grams
  • z1ng
    z1ng Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I measure the precook weight by the package specifications. Some kernals don't pop, but that shouldn't be a big difference.

Soy sauce and nutritiotional yeast are awesome on popcorn.
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Boogage wrote: »
    Is there no info on the packet? There is an entry in the database for Homemade - Popcorn (plain) which is in grams

Thanks I'll look for that. The information on the package goes by the cup before popping.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but what are the benefits of organic popcorn? I normally get the 100-calorie packs of popcorn so that I can avoid the need to weigh or measure.
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Just curious, but what are the benefits of organic popcorn? I normally get the 100-calorie packs of popcorn so that I can avoid the need to weigh or measure.

IDK to be honest it was just what they had at Trader Joe's and the price was really good for popcorn in general. Organic crops are grown without the use of any man made chemicals/pesticides and are not supposed to be GMO but honest I don't care a lot about those things.