Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Starting AGAIN!!! I have Multiple Sclerosis too.

Hi, I think this is about the 6th time I've STARTED AGAIN, lol. I really have to do it this time as I have a lot of weight to lose, 4 stone. I think.
I'm happily married with 2 grown-up children and 2 young Grandaughters. 1 dog and 3 cats.
I also have a few health problems including Multiple Sclerosis.
Any help and advice would be great.
Thanks, Alison xx

Replies

• Hi Alison. I have MS too and I want to lose 15lbs. My symptoms r mostly pain & fatigue, so I've changed my diet to a high anti inflammatory diet. Lots of spinach veg, fruit, chicken, salmon. No carbs, no dairy, no gluten.
    I just started exercising again; since xmas & i'm extremely fatigued! I can't stop sleeping. But I'm eating lots & taking vitamin b6 & b12 shots for energy.
    Do u have any suggestions for me? Lol
    What have u found thats working so far? I joined a 12 week challenge at my gym so its made me more accountable. I go to zumba 4 nights a week cause its at a specific time so I know I'll go. Otherwise I'll ditch. So I can suggest u to sign up for a team or walking club.
    Melanie
  • zazazik
    zazazik Posts: 53 Member
    Hi Alison and Melanie,

I also have MS (the Progressive kind) and walk in the house with a walker so my exercises are mainly strength and not cardio. I also am just starting AGAIN and this time I WILL succeed. I have about 40 pounds to lose which I will hopefully do by keeping away from carbs, dairy and gluten (anti-inflammatory like you mentioned Melanie). I wish you both energy and perseverance.

Elizabeth
  • LauraBee121
    LauraBee121 Posts: 37 Member
    I am proof that MS is no winner when it comes to weight loss... I have lost 29lbs over the past 9 months and I'm not having it back. Whats better is that I am feeling much healthier, fitter, more energetic and better balance (well 2 weeks ago before relapse I was, on way out of it now tho). I had to have a different mindset for it to work this time, it was about proving I could but also about making my life better. I never said I can't I'm on a diet when somebody offered me something not healthy, I just said thank you but I'm choosing to not eat ....(insert tasty but unhealthy food).... at the moment. I also asked myself if I want to lose weight more than I want the ....(insert whatever I was craving)....
    Not sure if it would work for others but it did me.!
    Laura
  • nharvill4
    nharvill4 Posts: 2 Member
    malone099 wrote: »
    Hi Alison. I have MS too and I want to lose 15lbs. My symptoms r mostly pain & fatigue, so I've changed my diet to a high anti inflammatory diet. Lots of spinach veg, fruit, chicken, salmon. No carbs, no dairy, no gluten.
    I just started exercising again; since xmas & i'm extremely fatigued! I can't stop sleeping. But I'm eating lots & taking vitamin b6 & b12 shots for energy.
    Do u have any suggestions for me? Lol
    What have u found thats working so far? I joined a 12 week challenge at my gym so its made me more accountable. I go to zumba 4 nights a week cause its at a specific time so I know I'll go. Otherwise I'll ditch. So I can suggest u to sign up for a team or walking club.
    Melanie

• DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    I thought biking and swimming is something really good for people with MS-- it is pretty low impact.
  • nharvill4
    nharvill4 Posts: 2 Member
    To malone099:
    Dear Melanie,
    I was diagnosed February 2008, but had all of the symptoms of MS throughout 2007. However, I had no idea what was happening to me. My syptoms are extreme pain in my back and legs. Have not been able to work since October 2007 in part because of the memory issues. Here's my story just over 2013 to the present.

I understand what you're going through. I was on steroids from April through December 2014. It started with IVs and then self-injections of the steroids.

I had just lost 60 lbs during 2013 as a result of a stroke caused from overmedication. Needless to say, I started January 2015 very depresesed to need to begin all over again. It took three months to finally get past the extreme fatigue and pain I was left with after all the treatments. I completely understand what you're experiencing on your road with MS.

The good news is that I know I've done the weight loss and correct eating before. You're on the right path to recovering. It does take time.

I started officially back on track on March 29, 2015. At this time, I currently have lost 16 pounds. I will take my measurements next weekend. I can tell I've lost inches because my clothes are looser. I am thrilled to say the least.

If you have any questions or would like to talk further, I would welcome it very much. If you would like to talk privately my email is nharvill4@yahoo.com.

May your days be blessed with less pain and less of the overwhelming fatigue. I certainly understand what you're going through.

Take care,
    Nancy Harvill
    nharvill4@yahoo.com
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    I just had my first MRI in years. . . waiting for the Dr to tell me if I'm going back on meds. I've managed to lose 30 lbs but have hit a bit of a stall. 5 months seems to be my limit on behaving lol. The catch on my "buckle down" is broken and I'm not putting my heart into fixing it. The thing that kickstarted me was being told I was prediabetic. MS is one thing, but possibly developing a disease that was caused by my inability to take proper care of myself was another. So I lost a large chunk of myself and got my blood sugar back into a normal range again.

When I complained of fatigue preventing me from exercising the Dr gave me the extremely modest goal of 20 minutes total a week. How do you say no to that? I was getting twice that just walking the kids to school. But it gave me permission to start small. I found a super easy workout that was full of modifications and encouragement, and people who were obviously as in need of a workout as I was in reality.