Anybody who has a once a month free/cheat day, success stories?

Options
HI!
Not looking to start a thread of varied opinion on free/high calorie/cheat/whatever days.
Simply asking if anybody has successfully lost weight by sticking to their goals through the month and then every 30-50 days had a free day/huge meal plus full dessert where they don't log (or do..) but just don't care about staying within deficit / maintenance calories, and have also been able to lose weight / stay fit? :)
I've been on a good streak for 48 days and today I have gone over and am going on a date with my husband tonight where we plan to eat a lot of very good food. (Will be apart for 7 months, I'm in the military.)
Just wondering if this will be something I can sustain? Has it worked for everybody to have a mental break day like this every few weeks?
Thanks you guys.
Eister <3

Replies

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My husband and I have date lunch once a month. I eat what I want for that one meal but never to the point where I feel so full I cant move like I used to. No regrets and back to business at the next meal.
    I usually look over the menu for where we are going and plan it out so I am content and not having to make hurried decisions. Those situations always result in me not being content with what Ive ordered.
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have date lunch once a month. I eat what I want for that one meal but never to the point where I feel so full I cant move like I used to. No regrets and back to business at the next meal.

That sounds nice. :)<3
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I wouldn't necessarily weigh yourself for at least a week (I personally do not like frequent weighings) just because you may retain a bit of water weight from the increased consumption but it should shed off pretty quickly when you return to your normal eating habits. As long as you've been eating healthy and well balanced your metabolism shouldn't be so low that you would skyrocking in body fat or anything like that!
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Absolutely! I wouldn't necessarily weigh yourself for at least a week (I personally do not like frequent weighings) just because you may retain a bit of water weight from the increased consumption but it should shed off pretty quickly when you return to your normal eating habits. As long as you've been eating healthy and well balanced your metabolism shouldn't be so low that you would skyrocking in body fat or anything like that!

That's REALLY great to hear!! Thanks for contributing! :)<3
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    At that fequency then its just the math? Its only going to affect your progress by the amount you run a surplus compared to the amount you run deficits on other days. Every 1 in 50 days is hardly going to have an impact. You also have good reason to do it so relax and enjoy.
  • cwebsterlusk
    cwebsterlusk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I totally do this. Every couple of weeks my girlfriend and I treat ourselves and I log for a little peace of mind, but I make myself not care. I have lost about 33lbs so far at a steady pace of about 2lbs per week doing this. Granted I'm active and I eat better than i used to, but "cheat days" never hurt me as long as they don't happen every day or every other day.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    At that fequency then its just the math? Its only going to affect your progress by the amount you run a surplus compared to the amount you run deficits on other days. Every 1 in 50 days is hardly going to have an impact. You also have good reason to do it so relax and enjoy.

AWESOME. :)
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    I totally do this. Every couple of weeks my girlfriend and I treat ourselves and I log for a little peace of mind, but I make myself not care. I have lost about 33lbs so far at a steady pace of about 2lbs per week doing this. Granted I'm active and I eat better than i used to, but "cheat days" never hurt me as long as they don't happen every day or every other day.

WOW congrats and awesome job on your weight loss. :) That's great to hear! I'm happy! I'm Italian so I need that big pasta night once a month lol..
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think it's good mentally to let go for a meal every once in awhile as long as you get back to your serious counting for the next one. I don't plan them, other than a very special occasion (like you have), and i don't dwell on when I can have the next one. I log it all.

This is supposed to be sustainable long term. Once I've finished losing, I know there will be higher calorie occasions and it's good to have already proved to myself that I'll be ok.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Personally I treat myself about once a week but, it is not a a free for all. Usually only a couple of hundred over. I have lost 27 lbs in 2 and a half months. I log it though. You have to decide what works for you. Everyone is different.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    I think it's good mentally to let go for a meal every once in awhile as long as you get back to your serious counting for the next one. I don't plan them, other than a very special occasion (like you have), and i don't dwell on when I can have the next one. I log it all.

This is supposed to be sustainable long term. Once I've finished losing, I know there will be higher calorie occasions and it's good to have already proved to myself that I'll be ok.

So true!!
    Good plan. :) When I'm set at maintenance I also want to enjoy those special food occasions without friggin out about it lol.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Personally I treat myself about once a week but, it is not a a free for all. Usually only a couple of hundred over. I have lost 27 lbs in 2 and a half months. I log it though. You have to decide what works for you. Everyone is different.

AWESOME JOB!! :D Good for you girl! <3
    True true. Well I'm gonna try this for a while and see if it works for me then. :D
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have one twice a month. I generally log a regular breakfast (to keep my log in streak) then have whatever I want the rest of the day without logging. I usually don't go crazy, but I don't really pay too much attention either. Yesterday (on my free day...I don't like the word cheat, really) I had a buffet at an Indian restaurant for lunch, then a large pulled pork plate for dinner, followed by half a slice of cheesecake and a large chunk of a big Hershey Kiss I got for Valentine's Day. So yummy! I have been logging since Jan. 22. I've lost 19lbs and am working out to P90 6 days per week.
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    htg20 wrote: »
    I have one twice a month. I generally log a regular breakfast (to keep my log in streak) then have whatever I want the rest of the day without logging. I usually don't go crazy, but I don't really pay too much attention either. Yesterday (on my free day...I don't like the word cheat, really) I had a buffet at an Indian restaurant for lunch, then a large pulled pork plate for dinner, followed by half a slice of cheesecake and a large chunk of a big Hershey Kiss I got for Valentine's Day. So yummy! I have been logging since Jan. 22. I've lost 19lbs and am working out to P90 6 days per week.

OOO OO O OO that sounds soooo good!!! :O :D:) And you're doing GREAT!!! How inspiring! (And yeah haha I like using the word free too...cheat makes me feel like it's bad lol) That's really encouraging tho, thanks for posting. :):)
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    That's me. Once a month, I go a bit berserk though my definition of that has changed a lot. (My last CRAZY day was half of a cheeseburger, half of a loaded baked potato, and a side salad-- WOOOO!)

I usually have this day during my period (sorry, guys) since my weight will be up anyway. I also usually drink heavily on this one day for the same reason. :)

I've lost 60 pounds doing this and I plan to continue forever!
  • roycenichols
    roycenichols Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just like one day a week of good eating/exercise won't do you any good, one day of "bad" eating won't do much either. Enjoy your food and don't feel bad about it! Get back on the wagon after and you shouldn't have any issues.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is more often than what you're asking about, but I have cheat weekends every two weeks when I visit my boyfriend. I'm not quite sure how much I go over because I don't log, but I definitely go over saturday and sunday (on Friday I workout out hard before going so I don't eat over that day). I will say that I also try to get some fitness in by spending the day in the city walking around or going on a walk on the trails near his house, which makes me feel a bit better about it.

Anyway, with all that cheating, I've still averaged a 1 pound per week loss in the last month, which I'm happy with. I'm set to lose -1.5/week, so I guess it is slowing me down, but it's fine with me.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight twice in my life. First time with a personal trainer, on a very restrictive diet, but he insisted I have a treat meal once a week (and I happily obliged). Even after I stopped the restrictive diet, I kept the pattern of healthy eating through the week and a treat meal on the weekend, and it served me well until 2 pregnancies in 2 years, so now I'm back to it and it's going well so far. Friday nights we have burger and chips and beer after the kids are asleep, watching a movie or favourite tv show.

I don't think I could do a whole day, and I don't think I'd enjoy it as much to have a whole day once a month rather than one treat meal once a week. It's all about what works for you, and what's maintainable
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    That's me. Once a month, I go a bit berserk though my definition of that has changed a lot. (My last CRAZY day was half of a cheeseburger, half of a loaded baked potato, and a side salad-- WOOOO!)

I usually have this day during my period (sorry, guys) since my weight will be up anyway. I also usually drink heavily on this one day for the same reason. :)

I've lost 60 pounds doing this and I plan to continue forever!

LOL! You crack me up! :P

WOWWWW Amazing! Good job!! :):):)
  • eisterunicorn
    Options
    Just like one day a week of good eating/exercise won't do you any good, one day of "bad" eating won't do much either. Enjoy your food and don't feel bad about it! Get back on the wagon after and you shouldn't have any issues.

Amen!