Breakfast?

Options
Hey guys and gals,

I have a big problem. I never know what to have for breakfast! Let me tell you an embarrasing story:

Today was my Statistics final. I ate breakfast at around 7a.m. (I had 3/4 cup of Special K cereal with 1/2 cup of fat free milk) and my final started at 8. Well at around 8:30 my stomach started to groan! I was so embarrased because the class was silent and it sounded like a monster had entered the room! (Luckily, I wasn't the only one. There was like a chorus of stomach-groaning sounds coming from all over the room throughout class).

So, my question is, what can I have for breakfast that is going to keep me full longer? Sometimes, like in the case with my final, I don't have the opportunity to snack, so I want a breakfast that is going to keep me fuller longer.

I'd appreciate any suggestion! Thanks :)

P.S. I don't have always have time to cook breakfast, so other quick breakfast suggestions would help, too.

Replies

• nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Try a higher fiber cereal like Kashi Go Lean. Maybe add a little flax seed to it.
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    eat more! that has to be less than 200 calories. so add a banana. add an apple. add an orange. add some strawberries. get good calories in there to make you more full. get cereal that contains more fiber so you can stay full longer :)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Most cereals never seem to fill me up with just milk. Try granola with a high protein yogurt like organic Greek yogurt with some berries. It's very satisfying and keeps me much more full than a bowl of cereal with milk!
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Ohh okay! I just thought maybe I was not normal because I wasn't getting full with that amount of cereal since that's the suggestion on the box. Haha I'm new to dieting so I appreciate your suggestions. I will try to switch it up between different cereals and yogurt and granola (which I love!)

• spgipson
    spgipson Posts: 20
    Options
    I like fruit with my Special K cereal....grapes- either green or seedless red- are good in cereal...sounds weird but tastes good!!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Also maybe try doing protein smoothies for breakfast? I love them! I add a protein powder with at least 10g of protein per serving and will add lots of fruit for fiber. I think fiber and protein is key for feeling full. A large smoothie will only be 300-400 cals for me and will fill me up til lunch.
  • jenahen
    jenahen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I have plain porridge made with water add 2 tbsp lite berry yoghurt some fresh fruit and a tsp of cinnamon keeps me full till lunch time and tastes like you are having desert for breakfast yum!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    my fav lately is a packet of instant cream of wheat, 1/2 cup milk, 20g of raisins, and 1tsp of brown sugar. mix the milk with the cream of wheat, pop it in the microwave for a minute, then add the raisins and sugar. nice little hit of sweetness so it feels mor decadant. i usually eat around 6:30ish, and don't get hungry until around 9, but then my body is trained to know that my first coffee break is coming up very soon after 9...lol. it growls in anticipation of my coffee break snack i think :)
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    Oatmeal usually keeps me full for a long time. Or I'll have a scrambled egg and a bowl of fiber one cereal and the protein and fibers keeps me full for a while (:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is always the best quick breakfast for me, and it sticks with me longer. I also have an orange every day.
  • dpiglar1989
    Options
    Oatmeal! I buy the instant kind so it takes a minute and a half to make and really keeps you full! Add a tsp of sugar and its really delicious too. I pretty much eat it every morning because it keeps me from wanting to snack in between breakfast and my lunch break at work. The calories in it are very reasonable too. With sugar and whole milk its 315 calories...totally reasonable.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Go big on breakfast! I do 3 large scrambled eggs with spinach/onion/ham, one slice of 12-grain toast with one slice of low fat cheese, half a medium banana, 1 cup of skim milk, black coffee and water. I try to get at least 1/3 of my daily calories (based on 1,200 daily) at breakfast time. I'm rarely starving at lunch time and can make very sensible choices plus still leave room for snacks. Dinner is my lightest meal of the day. I lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks by eating more in the morning. Definitely add more to your breakfast. Start adding slowly and pretty soon you will know what you need to keep you fuller longer. Good luck!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I will make hard boiled eggs the night before. I find that if I don't get protein in the morning my stomach will become a monster as well and instead of eating every 4 hrs I'm looking for something a half hour later. Cereal does this to me all the time so if I don't have time to make something I will usually have the cereal and add 1 hard boiled egg.

Or I will have a cup of greek yogurt with protein powder and cut up fruit in it, either blueberries, strawberries or raspberries.
    protein pancake which only takes about 10min-15min tops but not sure how much time you have in the morning.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I love your suggestions! Another problem for me is that I'm never hungry in the morning so I struggle to even eat the cereal, but a few hours later, I'm starving! I think I just have to get used to having breakfast. To be honest, I thought that 200 calories for breakfast was too much, but clearly I have a lot to learn! I've been eating almost 700-900 calories under my goal, but that's really not my intention! I just never know how much to eat. I want to do this the healthy way, though, and not by starvation!

Anyway, you guys are awesome! I love all the different suggestions; more choices so I don't get bored with the same thing every day. Thanks!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love your suggestions! Another problem for me is that I'm never hungry in the morning so I struggle to even eat the cereal, but a few hours later, I'm starving! I think I just have to get used to having breakfast. To be honest, I thought that 200 calories for breakfast was too much, but clearly I have a lot to learn! I've been eating almost 700-900 calories under my goal, but that's really not my intention! I just never know how much to eat. I want to do this the healthy way, though, and not by starvation!

I used to have problems eating breakfast. I started choking down a protein shake a few weeks ago just because breakfast is good for you. This morning, I woke up hungry and fixed myself a real breakfast.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast myself anymore but when I did:
    oats, drinking chocolate. Nuke. Then add natural peanut butter and whey.

Good mix of low gi carbs, healthy fats and protein. Will keep you full for ages.

Or I would have 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, bit of skim milk, spinach, (either curry powder or cinnamon). Nuke
    This one is lower carb.

Both take 2 mins to make and are tasty and nutritious.
  • rcochnar
    rcochnar Posts: 11
    Options
    I have the same breakfast every day. Honey bunches of oats with unsweetened almond milk. Then around 2 hours later, some kind of granola bar.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Have a high protein/low carb breakfast. If you time, egg beaters and center-cut bacon are great. Or a protein shake with added fiber powder will help you not get hungry. If you are in a hurry, there are a several great low-carb RTD's available. My favorite is Carb Advantage Shakes from EAS.

Studies are now showing having a high carb breakfast actually inhibits fat burning for the entire day! So go high protein instead to keep metabolism up, hunger down, and fat burning.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Have a high protein/low carb breakfast. If you time, egg beaters and center-cut bacon are great. Or a protein shake with added fiber powder will help you not get hungry. If you are in a hurry, there are a several great low-carb RTD's available. My favorite is Carb Advantage Shakes from EAS.

Studies are now showing having a high carb breakfast actually inhibits fat burning for the entire day! So go high protein instead to keep metabolism up, hunger down, and fat burning.

Wouldn't it still be better to have your carbs in the am than just before bed for example? I stick to first meal of the day and peri-workout for majority of carbs personally.
  • neuroticlin89
    neuroticlin89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yup eggs or oatmeal will definitely keep u filled and are usually recommended for breakfast. alotta times it seems to add up to alotta calories but thts usually the recommended amount. Especially if you start your day really early and won't be having lunch until much later.