bump
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Great motivation- thanks!
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great post! I have been walking, but wanting to start transitioning to running, but I am sooo out of shape from sacrum issues I have from my last pregnancy, but they are finally resolving (2 yrs out - exactly what the Ortho told me). I would really love to do the mini (half) marathon next year and raise funds for the NF fundrasing group, Team Endurance, sicne our little one has NF1. I figure if I start making babysteps towards running, I might be ready for a mini next year. :)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the memories. I could have written the same thing 5 years ago. I LOVED to run! What happened? It gets tough lugging around an extra 40 pounds. eek. I remember when a 4 miler was a "quickie". I also miss the feeling of after 7 or 8 miles you can't feel anything, and those endorphines kick in. You have motivated me to work toward getting a mile in ten, then two in twenty, then three in thirty, and so on. I have been using the eliptical exclusively. Tommorow; the treadmill. Thank you. My doctor asked "what do you do for exercise?", I told him I walk. His reply "well that's just not getting it done; obviously". Ouch! That was three years ago.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • cono0507
    cono0507 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It DOES get easier. At this time 2 years ago, I couldn't run more than 1 block without stopping.
    Today I ran 10 miles for the first time and it feels fabulous. My first half marathon is this summer. I would never have dreamed I'd be doing this when I was gasping for breath after 1 block!!!

Great post! Thanks! :)
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Great post, thank you!

I finished C25k about a month ago and did my first 5k a few weeks ago. I'm a slow runner, but it felt great to participate in a race and I can't wait to do another one!

I just started one hour runner this week, I really do love running and completely agree about trying to get through that first 10 minutes! That first 10 minutes can make or break you!
  • 5kforme
    5kforme Posts: 23
    Options
    These are great suggestions/advise. I've only been running for about 3 weeks, but I am loving it! I signed up for a 5K next month and it is a great motivator. And after reading your post I just realized - I am a runner!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    excellent post! :happy:
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    Bump!

I just started jogging/walking this week. It's hard but I LOVE how it makes me feel! I'm already getting addicted to it, I "crave" a good jog/walk.

Great advice thanks! :smile:
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think i might print this out and put it by my training schedule! Thanks so much!
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I completed W1D3 today- for like the 4th time in a year. After a week or two i get sore and frustrated and drop out. But this time i plan to go all the way!
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Great tips but I have a question why do you say not to drink back your calories? Im new to running and have a protein shake after cause it just made sense to me so if I dont drink what do I do?
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump! Great advice. I always thought of myself as "someone who does not run." One day I decided to try something different for cardio and see if I could run. I ran for 9 minutes. That was about 1.5 months ago. Now it's a principle part of my workout. I'm up to walking 3 minutes, running 12, walking 5, running 15, walking 2. Sometimes I really push myself and get to 15 minutes running each segment. So many of the tips here are things I hadn't considered. Next step: getting outside!
  • morningmom
    morningmom Posts: 100
    Options
    Great ideas...thanks! I hope to start C25K this week!!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am thinking about starting to run and this answered quite a few questions I had :happy:
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A great read- although i have to say. I love my treadmill more than running outside. (I like to split up my runs!)