Egg whites?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only eat whole eggs anyway, but I'd pay more for the carton just because I couldn't make myself toss the yolks.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I never throw out yolks or eat only egg whites. Throwing out yolks seems so wasteful and buying factory made, processed cartons of egg whites has zero appeal to me. Real, whole eggs = real food for real people.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Buying eggs whole and throwing out the yolk is significantly cheaper! You think its a waste of eggs but trust me I do that all the time when I want egg whites. Its just a little extra step but it works. And that way if you just buy the eggs whole you can always easily switch to having real eggs when you just wanna splurge on one day with the yolks.
    Splurge on what is one of the most nutritionally packed capsule in nature...interesting.

Why is eating the yolks a splurge? I eat whole eggs almost every day. They are healthy and packed with nutrition. Having two hard boiled ones on my salad tonight actually.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Is it cheaper to buy a carton of egg whites, or to just buy the eggs and crack them yourself? Just wondering...

It's just math bro. Took me about 15 real egg whites to make 2 liquid cups. But got old real quick cracking so many eggs every day. I bought my eggs in a crate so it was technically cheaper...but now I just buy liquid egg whites out of convenience.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't buy liquid egg whites because I think the texture is gross, and where I'm from they're made with caged chicken eggs which I would never buy. I buy organic eggs to use as whole eggs and free range eggs to use for whites
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I don't buy liquid egg whites because I think the texture is gross, and where I'm from they're made with caged chicken eggs which I would never buy. I buy organic eggs to use as whole eggs and free range eggs to use for whites

If you're concerned about the ethics of eggs, then free range isn't much better than caged. Pasture eggs are your best bet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

If you're concerned about the ethics of eggs, then free range isn't much better than caged. Pasture eggs are your best bet.

We don't have "pasture" eggs in Australia. We have caged, barn, free range and organic free range. Or, alternatively, raise your own chickens.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

We don't have "pasture" eggs in Australia. We have caged, barn, free range and organic free range. Or, alternatively, raise your own chickens.

Oh ok. Do you know if the regulations for "free range" in Australia is different than that of the United States? i.e. maybe "free range" in Australia is similar to "pasture" in the U.S.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Oh ok. Do you know if the regulations for "free range" in Australia is different than that of the United States? i.e. maybe "free range" in Australia is similar to "pasture" in the U.S.

I think perhaps our "barn" eggs may be your free range.... Free range chickens here have access to outside during the day, and have a certain number per sq.m in the barn.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Buying eggs whole and throwing out the yolk is significantly cheaper! You think its a waste of eggs but trust me I do that all the time when I want egg whites. Its just a little extra step but it works. And that way if you just buy the eggs whole you can always easily switch to having real eggs when you just wanna splurge on one day with the yolks.
    Splurge on what is one of the most nutritionally packed capsule in nature...interesting.

Why is eating the yolks a splurge? I eat whole eggs almost every day. They are healthy and packed with nutrition. Having two hard boiled ones on my salad tonight actually.

You know what I mean... I'm sure she's wanting egg whites for calorie reasons. I personally prefer the whole egg since I find myself still hungry after eating only egg whites since there's practically no nutritional value in the whites.

My point is if you buy normal eggs then she has the option of choosing eggs with the yolks whenever she wants to
  • 31st_Proverbs
    31st_Proverbs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In my neck of the woods it about double the price for the carton of egg whites verses buy whole eggs and seperating them. What I tend to do is scramble a whole egg with one egg white and then in the same pan I'll scramble just the yolk and give it to my dog - she loves it.