1200 a day..jheez

Options
jotind
jotind Posts: 15 Member
Hard stickin to these calories each day..any1 struggling?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You have less than 50 pounds to lose, change your goal to lose a pound or half a pound per week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, you selected 2 Lbs per week as your weight loss goal (that's 1,000 calories per day deficit) even though you only have about 9 vanity Lbs to lose. Also, when you exercise you earn calories to "eat back"...that's how MFP accounts for that activity since it is not accounted for in you activity level.

With very little weight to lose, you're going to either have to 1) go slower; or 2) be miserable and suffer for not because you're still not going to lose that quickly with the fat stores to burn...you'll just dial down your metabolism and stress your body out.
  • jotind
    Options
    Lol i feel great after reading that! Im having around 1450 now..cheers for advice
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1200 per day is a struggle. The body gets used to excess calories we eat and is reacting to the loss of them.
    I don't eat back my calories I burn in exercise. My exercise is moderate.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have my odd days where I'll struggle but generally it seems to get easier the longer I stick with it, I find a lot of it is psychological.
    Also breaking down the calories into a regular eating cycle of smaller amounts just seems to keep the hunger at bay a little more, provided you're eating the right things to keep the cravings away.
  • njlegault
    njlegault Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1220 but I try to get at least 500-600 calories of exercise per day and so I can eat a bit more I still aim for 100-200 cal deficit but that's rare :) I'm hungry especially when I work out!! But keep in mind a good amount of exercise will help you increase it a bit...
  • njlegault
    njlegault Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So true BladeBiker, my appetite has definitely decreased over time. Your stomach literally expands tofit more food and shrinks as it becomes accustomed to less, and it takes less to fill you up.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have 1440 and if I stay away from calorie dense food I can manage it without too much trouble. Good luck.
  • sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Although I do agree with the previous comments about going slow, and steady. I'd like to point out there's a whole community that thinks 1200 "is plenty" on Reddit (Link here) . I like to look there for meal ideas.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    jotind wrote: »
    Lol i feel great after reading that! Im having around 1450 now..cheers for advice

Thank goodness you switched. A 0.5lb a week loss i.e 250 calories less than maint would be fine amd much more liveable, even though youd need to be accurate.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    njlegault wrote: »
    Mine is 1220 but I try to get at least 500-600 calories of exercise per day and so I can eat a bit more I still aim for 100-200 cal deficit but that's rare :) I'm hungry especially when I work out!! But keep in mind a good amount of exercise will help you increase it a bit...

Definitely, with going to the gym and having my pacer attached to this it gives me the option to consume more calories I reckon that's the best way to go njlegault.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I struggle on days I don't get a good calorie burn in....although I try not to eat all of my calories back, I have yet to stay under 1200. That's just crazy so go with what feels good to your body! B)
  • jotind
    Options
    Oh i do and it seems to work so thanx. Good luck :p
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I was at 1400, and switched to 1lb a week, upping my calories to 1760 a day. I almost lost 4lbs this week.
  • PostExamsHealthBinge
    PostExamsHealthBinge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1,200 a day becomes easy and I often struggle to reach 1,000 now- if your making healthy choices (and only 1 portion!) it should be pretty difficult to get up to 1,200 (unless you eat constantly). Give it time as well, your stomach shrinks and you feel full on a lot less food. Try dinners like stir fry (150cals without meat), or salads with a meat (around 300cals) and only snack on fruit (never goes about 90).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    1,200 a day becomes easy and I often struggle to reach 1,000 now- if your making healthy choices (and only 1 portion!) it should be pretty difficult to get up to 1,200 (unless you eat constantly). Give it time as well, your stomach shrinks and you feel full on a lot less food. Try dinners like stir fry (150cals without meat), or salads with a meat (around 300cals) and only snack on fruit (never goes about 90).

Why would you want to eat less? And making your body adapt to low calories? You should be dieting on as many calories as possible! OP - If you don't have a lot to lose, doing it slowly with as much food as possible is better for your health in the long run
  • kjspurr1
    kjspurr1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 a day and was hungry in the evenings after dinner (especially if I exercised that day) I was losing a lb/week, but last week the weight loss stalled. I've decided to up my calories to 1350/week and see what happens. The extra 150 calories doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference! I try not to eat back too many of my exercise calories, but it depends on how I'm feeling that day.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options

It's physically impossible for your stomach to shrink without medical surgeries. And 'healthy choices' should be a variety of foods so you get your daily nutrients, vitamins and minerals. You need whole grains, proteins, fats, dairy, and five a day of fruits and veggies. Food is fuel.
  • mhook760
    mhook760 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't so bad. Sometimes I'm stuffed on 1000, sometimes I need more like 1400, but mostly 1200 is fine. Just make some good swaps eg: zoodles instead of noodles, almond milk instead of milk, etc and it gets easier. I also don't so all low fat, a decent portion of fat is more satiating
  • PostExamsHealthBinge
    PostExamsHealthBinge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No your stomach is slightly elastic as in when you eat a lot it stretches and therefore it takes more to get full however as long as you haven't pushed it too far eating less will make it go back to its original size and you will get full quicker
    My_Butt wrote: »

It's physically impossible for your stomach to shrink without medical surgeries. And 'healthy choices' should be a variety of foods so you get your daily nutrients, vitamins and minerals. You need whole grains, proteins, fats, dairy, and five a day of fruits and veggies. Food is fuel.