Obsessed with the scale

Options
I can't seem to stop weighing, it drives me crazy. Before I go to the gym I convince myself not to weight. I go in get on the machines & while I'm working out I give myself reasons why I should weigh & convince myself it is okay to weigh everyday. Sometimes I weigh 2-3 times a day. I can't stop.

Replies

• babydino2015
    babydino2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did this too and eventually I got it out of my system realizing how much random fluctuating goes on in a day (3 lbs for me with water/food/sweat etc)

The most consistency in my weight seems to be first thing in the a.m. So now that's the only one I care about and track (plus I like that it's the lowest one lol)
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i think to myself it will be a better result if i wait till next week. I struggle not to weigh everyday and when you do sometimes I'm disappointed because it goes up and down in the day like it does. So use the same motivation and control you do in diet and exercise into waiting to weigh.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i weigh numerous times a day too. finally this last week i just weigh right before bed and in the morning. next week im going to try just the morning. i don't plan to give up weighing daily but i think once is good enough!
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It's soooo addicting!!!
  • daizyk70
    daizyk70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning and track it on my Happy Scale app. Then I can let it go until the next morning.
  • SamCapra
    SamCapra Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and get myself so discouraged because i fluctuate up to 3-4 lbs a day. I wish i could make a habit of just doing it weekly but the scale is always right there :(
  • JamesCann1
    JamesCann1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    *Breathe* :-)
    It's OK if you weigh yourself frequently and record it, so that you can see the fluctuations and see the overall trend.
    It's not OK if you suddenly decide to not eat for a day after seeing that your weight is up a pound from yesterday, and think the pound was an accidental twinkie attack.
    If you weigh yourself, drink 8 glasses of water, and weigh yourself again, you'll weigh (8*250g*2.2lbsperkg=)4.5lbs more until you peee some of it out. The rest helped rehydrate you after a long sleep.
    I've experimentally recorded my weight fluctuations in a day after anything that could change it, and daily, it fluctuates almost 6lbs.
    I'd suggest recording the numbers, making a trend, and ignoring the actual *numbers* while using your intuition to see how the trend line goes up and down daily, but over the last week or two, the highs and lows slowly move down when you're losing weight, and stays flat when you're just maintaining.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale for this reason. I would totally get discouraged at the fluctuations (even though I know they are fluctuations).
  • misssmadalyn
    Options
    JamesCann1 wrote: »
    *Breathe* :-)
    It's OK if you weigh yourself frequently and record it, so that you can see the fluctuations and see the overall trend.
    It's not OK if you suddenly decide to not eat for a day after seeing that your weight is up a pound from yesterday, and think the pound was an accidental twinkie attack.
    If you weigh yourself, drink 8 glasses of water, and weigh yourself again, you'll weigh (8*250g*2.2lbsperkg=)4.5lbs more until you peee some of it out. The rest helped rehydrate you after a long sleep.
    I've experimentally recorded my weight fluctuations in a day after anything that could change it, and daily, it fluctuates almost 6lbs.
    I'd suggest recording the numbers, making a trend, and ignoring the actual *numbers* while using your intuition to see how the trend line goes up and down daily, but over the last week or two, the highs and lows slowly move down when you're losing weight, and stays flat when you're just maintaining.

Omg this was so helpful especially the part about the water & 4.5 pounds! Thank you!
    papayahed wrote: »
    I don't own a scale for this reason. I would totally get discouraged at the fluctuations (even though I know they are fluctuations).
    I go to the gym everyday & the scale is right by the place you check in , I can't avoid it

• misssmadalyn
    Options
    SamCapra wrote: »
    I do the same thing and get myself so discouraged because i fluctuate up to 3-4 lbs a day. I wish i could make a habit of just doing it weekly but the scale is always right there :(
    Yes! It freaks me out when I weigh 3 pounds more than the day before