Protein powders-intolerance to whey

Options
jktefft
jktefft Posts: 27 Member
hello all!

So I have been using various other whey protein powders over the last year and within the last 4 months my stomach has seemed to become intolerant of it causing me to have a rotten stomach feel to it afterwards. Has anyone else has this issue?

Any suggestions for good non-whey based protein powders that still taste good?

Does anyone know if the some of the pre-made protein shakes made with whey concentrate are easier to digest?

Hope to get a good discussion out of this! :)

Replies

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Isopure National Unflavored Whey protein is supposed to be easier to digest. That's what I use. I make my own smoothies by adding the powder to almond milk, Greek yogurt, berries, and mixed greens. I blend it in my Magic Bullet.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Like @MarciBkonTrk mentioned, try an isolate version. You have been trying concentrate which has more milk sugar and fat and some people have stomach issues with it. Isolate versions will have this milk sugar greatly reduced and might be the answer for you.
  • CaribooKit
    CaribooKit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use a hemp protein powder. Hemp pro 70 and pro 50 from manitoba harvest. The 70 is water soluble. the 50 isn't but has more fibre. The taste takes some getting use to. My wife has a tough time eating the natural ones but she enjoys the chocolate and vanilla flavours. The flavoured ones in a smoothie are hardly noticeable for me but they have a bit less protein
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like Vega's Protein and Greens. It has 20 grams of plant-based protein. No dairy at all. It's not the greatest-tasting powder (you won't notice if you blend it into a smoothie), but it gets the job done.
  • coebybrown
    coebybrown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Musclegg is a great one.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    A lot of newbe users of proteins and such start out getting running stomachs and cramps.. It takes a while for the system to get used to.. If you're convinced you can't have it, try out some all-greens protein, or pea protein isolate :)
  • jktefft
    Options
    I've been using protein powder consistently for over a year so I don't think I'm a newbie anymore. But thanks for he ideas on what to try out.
    A lot of newbe users of proteins and such start out getting running stomachs and cramps.. It takes a while for the system to get used to.. If you're convinced you can't have it, try out some all-greens protein, or pea protein isolate :)

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I always had problems with whey powders untill I. Started using natural factors whey factors grass fed whey. No problems at all now.
  • jktefft
    Options
    The versions I've been using say they contain both isolate and concentrate. Are there ones out there that are pure isolates? I'm a little picky on taste and aftertaste. :neutral:
    Isopure National Unflavored Whey protein is supposed to be easier to digest. That's what I use. I make my own smoothies by adding the powder to almond milk, Greek yogurt, berries, and mixed greens. I blend it in my Magic Bullet.
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Like @MarciBkonTrk mentioned, try an isolate version. You have been trying concentrate which has more milk sugar and fat and some people have stomach issues with it. Isolate versions will have this milk sugar greatly reduced and might be the answer for you.

• cajuntank
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jktefft wrote: »
    The versions I've been using say they contain both isolate and concentrate. Are there ones out there that are pure isolates? I'm a little picky on taste and aftertaste. :neutral:
    cajuntank wrote: »

Yes, the one @MarciBkonTrk mentioned is pure isolate, but there are others. Should be plainly listed on the ingredients. The ones you have run across might have been blends. As for taste, that is very subjective to the person. What I like might not be to your liking, so you will need to try it for yourself.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Vegaone chocolate .. plant based
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Since I've never used any kind of protein powder, I've always wondered why others find them necessary. Not judging, just curious. I'm 60 and I've been at my goal weight for over two years. My grandmother lived to 96 all on just normal food. I honestly don't understand it.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use egg white protein because I am intolerant to dairy. I use unflavored and flavor it myself to my liking with vanilla, stevia, almond or flax milk, whatever else I want. I don't use it often, but have it on hand if I want to.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CaribooKit wrote: »
    I use a hemp protein powder. Hemp pro 70 and pro 50 from manitoba harvest. The 70 is water soluble. the 50 isn't but has more fibre.

Agreed, I really like these due to the quality. Warning though: they are fairly expensive and taste like dirt.

Plant Fusion has some tasty flavors, also slightly on the expensive side. NOW makes pea protein in several flavors and you can get a 2 pound tub on Amazon for just over $20. I get the unflavored NOW as well as all the others I mention in this post and have had good results.

Whey-based proteins are definitely not the only option. Going with a plant-based shake should give you just as much bang for your buck with the added benefit of giving the dairy cows in the factory farms a bit of a break (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_cattle#Animal_welfare).

Whatever you go with, best of luck to you!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Since I've never used any kind of protein powder, I've always wondered why others find them necessary. Not judging, just curious. I'm 60 and I've been at my goal weight for over two years. My grandmother lived to 96 all on just normal food. I honestly don't understand it.

Hi Sherry. A lot of us are working to add more protein into our diets without tipping the scales in the other macronutrients. You're right - it isn't NECESSARY, and it would be highly unlikely for anyone in a first-world country to experience major adverse health issues due to protein deficiency. However, people who are trying to add muscle might find that they get better results when supplementing their protein. I'm sure people have other reasons as well, but there is a common one.
  • nikolspencer
    nikolspencer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hello all!

So I have been using various other whey protein powders over the last year and within the last 4 months my stomach has seemed to become intolerant of it causing me to have a rotten stomach feel to it afterwards. Has anyone else has this issue?

Any suggestions for good non-whey based protein powders that still taste good?

Does anyone know if the some of the pre-made protein shakes made with whey concentrate are easier to digest?

Hope to get a good discussion out of this! :)

I typically use a plant-based protein powder (I swear I have tried them all) however, my favorite supplier halted production for reformulation. So, I recently started using and quickly quit using Isopure Natural Isolate in hopes that it wouldn't kill my stomach, but it did... and left me with lots of weird side effects. Stupid sensitivities.

Ramble short... If you're looking for a switch from Whey and into plant, I HIGHLY recommend Aloha. Also, I have some pretty decent results with the Muscle Milk RTD's. But I haven't consumed them long term or even day to day, so I can't speak to the ease of digestion... but they are some of the best tasting whey RTD's ;)

Would love to hear what you end up going with, though! Protein powders have been such a struggle for me.

Best of luck!

(aloha's website: https://aloha.com/shop/plant-based-superfood-protein)
  • jktefft
    Options
    Sherry I've had weightloss surgery and need to make sure I get in my daily amounts of protein and that can be hard since I can only eat so much in a day. :)

• jktefft
    Options

I've done muscle milk in the past but what is muscle milk RTD?

I typically use a plant-based protein powder (I swear I have tried them all) however, my favorite supplier halted production for reformulation. So, I recently started using and quickly quit using Isopure Natural Isolate in hopes that it wouldn't kill my stomach, but it did... and left me with lots of weird side effects. Stupid sensitivities.

Ramble short... If you're looking for a switch from Whey and into plant, I HIGHLY recommend Aloha. Also, I have some pretty decent results with the Muscle Milk RTD's. But I haven't consumed them long term or even day to day, so I can't speak to the ease of digestion... but they are some of the best tasting whey RTD's ;)

Would love to hear what you end up going with, though! Protein powders have been such a struggle for me.

Best of luck!

• cajuntank
    Options
    I've done muscle milk in the past but what is muscle milk RTD?

Best of luck!

Muscle milk RTD (read to drink)
    Also as a note...I know some have mentioned plant based protein powder, but realize that you have to usually double a plant based serving (so double the calories) to get the same protein as whey's single serving.