Am I not getting stronger? Am I doing something wrong? Advice? Tips?

Options
Amanda82691
Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have been lifting weights at home with free weights. I have been looking up workout videos for dumbbells on youtube and google. However my arms always, always hurt during the exercises. The muscles I'm working feel very weak, and they get very fatigued and sore easily. Its hard for me to completed three sets of 12 or 14 sometimes. Sometimes I feel a pull in my neck so I've tried to research proper form to help fix that. I sometimes feel back pain, like muscle pulls. And every time I do these exercises, it never seems to get any better. I don't know if this is normal or not. I started out with 5lb and 8lbs. I haven't been able to increase my weights at all. Its been a month so far. I have tried making sure my form is as proper as possible to help eliminate that as a cause. But still no luck. Like I said idk if this is just the normal feelings of working muscle groups, and I am just dramatic or inpatient or if something is up. Any ideas, tips, or advice. I know I'm not a pro, and I have just started so any experienced weight lifters have any idea what's up that would be helpful! Thank you in advance.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which exercises you are doing but generally you will have a goal rep or range of reps and once you can do that, you up the weight. What exercises are you doing and how many reps are you aiming for?
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    I'm doing various free weight exercises. I would be writing a ton to list them all. But one day I do some focuses on legs, another day arms and upper body, ect. I follow along many videos from fitnessblender.com and other videos I find that I enjoy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is hard to help without specifics but, in general, a lower rep range like 5-8 is going to build more strength while 12+ is going to build endurance. If you can do 12 reps, you can up your weight while lowering reps. Work up in reps and then keep cycling through (raise weight/lower reps) once you're able to hit the higher rep number again.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think you need to drink more water and check out some you tube videos on proper form of the movements your doing. In all honesty with 5 and 8 lbs weights your not going to get really strong and since your already doing them 12-14 times with a goal to get stronger I would invest in some 10-15lbs weights once you get form down. I can assure you if you lift a 12lbs weight lower reps for two weeks then grab the 5-8lbs you will see just how light they are and know you have gained strength.

my 2 cents
  • Amanda82691
    Options
    I think you need to drink more water and check out some you tube videos on proper form of the movements your doing. In all honesty with 5 and 8 lbs weights your not going to get really strong and since your already doing them 12-14 times with a goal to get stronger I would invest in some 10-15lbs weights once you get form down. I can assure you if you lift a 12lbs weight lower reps for two weeks then grab the 5-8lbs you will see just how light they are and know you have gained strength.

my 2 cents

Thanks for your advice!! I haven't moved up from 5-8lbs because I didn't want to risk injuring myself if this isn't normal. I do have 10lb weights. And I will eventually invest in higher weights as I move along. As far as drinking more water do you mean during the workout? Because I drink a gallon of water a day easily. I love water. lol. So are you suggesting that I forgo the 5-8lb weights and start doing my routines with 10-15lb weights? And then perhaps I will see some improvement?

• Amanda82691
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It is hard to help without specifics but, in general, a lower rep range like 5-8 is going to build more strength while 12+ is going to build endurance. If you can do 12 reps, you can up your weight while lowering reps. Work up in reps and then keep cycling through (raise weight/lower reps) once you're able to hit the higher rep number again.

Interesting!! Thanks I will give that a try!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The advice here is good. Look up "progressive overload", that's the key, and pretty much what has been stated above.
  • velmada
    velmada Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Remember that some muscles are weaker than others and you are only as strong as your weakest link - it takes time! Generally speaking, most women who haven't trained weights have low upper body strength and will find a big difference between exercises that use your arms, shoulders and back, compared to those that use your legs. Within that, your shoulders are likely to be weaker than your biceps and triceps, if you have slim wrists they might be naturally quite weak too.
    The good news is if you persevere you will get better, but don't be concerned if you progress in some exercises quicker than others. For example, I took a long time to improve my bench press because my wrists are tiny and gave up long before my arms/chest. Similarly I use a really low weight for lat raises compared to other moves. Its all progress though :D
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You really need to be doing a program and following its protocol for progression. I'd suggest looking at New Rules of Lifting for Women to start with.