Shoes! :D

Options
My shoes are currently falling apart to the point where I can't wear them any more so I need new ones, but I have never bought myself shoes with the intention to exercise in them (I would usually just get ones I thought were cute). So what should I look for in some new shoes? What shoes do you like?

I'm not a long distance runner and I don't really care about brand, but I am on a budget.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for running shoes? If so, I would suggest going to a shoe store and having somebody assess how you walk/run in order to get shoe recommendations.
  • JoreanlikesMoose
    JoreanlikesMoose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    IF you are looking for a running show I agree with the above comment, get fitted at a running store.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    "Running store" and "on a budget" do not usually go together, though. If OP is not planning on heavy-duty running and has worn random shoes to the dumpster point without injury, why break out the expensive guns?

Honestly, I'd head down to DSW and try on a bunch of shoes in my price range from reputable brands: Nike, Saucony, Asics, New Balance (also Brooks and Mizuno are good, but I'm not sure DSW stocks them). See what is comfortable and cute.

DSW will carry the lower-end running shoes and some of the mid-range ones from those brands; at a running store you'll see the premium ones. But you're really not looking at a leap in quality to justify the price difference, unless you are putting in serious weekly mileage on the things.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I found 2 great pairs of shoes, a Nike and an Asic gel, at Plato's closet for $12 and $16. Perfect shape. Did not look like they were worn at all. Fit great, although they are a half size different. I think different brands fit differently, btw. So, if you are not against 'used' shoes, try Platos closet. They usually have a very large assortment of shoes surprisingly.

55835802.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    She can find out which shoes are recommended and then shop around. Comfortable and cute are not necessarily the qualities to look for if you want something that will work well for running. I started out wearing New Balance, which I thought were comfortable until I had run in them a month. Asics in a size larger than normal ended up being better for me due to the larger toe boxes.
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know I can go to a shoe store and ask them, but they're usually trying to push something I can't afford. I really like personal opinions on shoes. I think I'll check out DSW first. That's where I got my current shoes and they've lasted about 5 years. Well...4 years and then died slowly for the last year.

Thanks for all of the replies!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I found ASIC and Brooks on sale at DSW--$40-$70 (last year's model). They also sell tons of Nike and Saucony.

I ended up buying my shoes with custom insoles (pretty close to SuperFeet insoles) from Roadrunner (best fit). But, I'd run barefoot if I could.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This time of year, many shoe stores are discounting last years models. I would go there and try on multiple types of shoes and find one that works for you. Let them know you are on a budget and they should work with you.
  • JoreanlikesMoose
    JoreanlikesMoose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know I can go to a shoe store and ask them, but they're usually trying to push something I can't afford. I really like personal opinions on shoes. I think I'll check out DSW first. That's where I got my current shoes and they've lasted about 5 years. Well...4 years and then died slowly for the last year.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Personal opinions on shoes mean NOTHING since you are a different person with different shaped feet with a different stride and gait.

My friend will only wear Brooks, he loves them, personally I can't stand them and they cause my calf muscles to cramp. I swear by Newtons, but my friend couldn't run a lap on the track in them if his life depended on it.

We have different feet on different bodies that run differently, so each of us require different shoes. Our personal opinions on shoes, while both right for us, can't be applies to the other person.
  • Kelamb10
    Kelamb10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can i make a suggestion. How about going to a good running store to find out what you should be wearing ( not all shoes are for all people) then go find them online or last year model at a store
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for some "budget" shoes that may be comfortable for you, try Avia or Skechers with memory foam. Those may be good for you since you don't want to spend a lot of money and you are not going to put a lot of miles on them by running. Used to be the only shoes that I found that seemed to fit my foot were the Avia shoes. Currently, I wear a pair of lightweight Skechers in my house to lift weights, box, bike, and use my elliptical. I have Saucony shoes (little pricier) that I use for walking, running, and going to the gym. I feel that they help protect my ankles better for running than my other shoes because I have a wider toe box but a narrow heel. In other brands my heel slips out and I end up with blisters no matter the size, the type of sock, or the way they are laced.

I hope you are able to find some shoes that you like, fit your budget, and are cute!
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What are you actually going to be doing in them?
    Gym classes
    Lifting
    Walking
    Running for 15mins on a treadmill
    Etc

You might be better going for a 'cross' trainer rather than a running trainer depending on your needs.
    http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/browse/sport-leisure/womens-sports-clothing-footwear/womens-cross-trainers/_/N-f0w#page_loaded (UK site but you get the gist)
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Greatest things ever:
    My dog
    Fresh ground almond butter
    Text messaging
    Hoka's

di0boas4n7il.png
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Partial to New Balance brand.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go to a running store.

i looooooooooooooove my adidas that they set me up with!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    For back up sneaks, I've been known to buy a pair on the cheap in the boy's dept =) I would never in a million years, buy used athletic shoes that someone sweated in. Think toenail fungus.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pair of Nike's at Kohl's for $80. But once I got more serious about running, I ended up getting fit at the running store.

They did offer me last season's shoes because they were much cheaper. But they were ugly. I spent $110 on shoes. But it was worth the investment, the Nike's weren't doing me any favors the longer I ran. They just didn't fit my foot correctly.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    if you go to a running store and the person takes the time to do a proper fitting, which does take time, I think the right thing to do is buy a pair from them. From then on you can replace the shoe online for less cost. The folks working the store don't get rich as they are usually not the owner. So if you take their time and expertise I do feel a purchase is the right thing.

You said you are on a budget but that doesn't always mean low price. Smart money is good so buy a quality shoe and it will last. Low end stores can sell low end gear and you end up buying twice. Once you do start running you will have to replace your gear and hopefully before it falls apart so you don't get hurt.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If you're not running in them, then I'd just do what you did before and find something reasonably priced that you like. Maybe something similar to what you had before...since they seemed like they served you well for a long time.

Getting fit for running shoes seems like it would be overkill if you weren't running or doing something high impact in them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally went to an outlet mall where reebok, nike, addidas, new balance, and a generic sports store were. I walked from store to store to find ones i liked the most.

Shoes size/shape/comfort varies by manufacturer and style so my only suggestions would be to try and many as possible.

If you have the budget and want shoes for RUNNING i would go to a running store to be tested. For me, i look for shoes that are ultralight weight, with no heel (women's always have a huge base/heel!), breathable on my feet, and something that feels secure/quality. I can't stand shoes that have the built in arches or a heel where the shoe slopes down on the front because i use them for lifting weights. to each their own!