Shoes! :D

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Kelamb10 wrote: »
    Can i make a suggestion. How about going to a good running store to find out what you should be wearing ( not all shoes are for all people) then go find them online or last year model at a store

That's pretty parisitic behaviour.
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know I can go to a shoe store and ask them, but they're usually trying to push something I can't afford. I really like personal opinions on shoes. I think I'll check out DSW first. That's where I got my current shoes and they've lasted about 5 years. Well...4 years and then died slowly for the last year.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Personal opinions on shoes mean NOTHING since you are a different person with different shaped feet with a different stride and gait.

My friend will only wear Brooks, he loves them, personally I can't stand them and they cause my calf muscles to cramp. I swear by Newtons, but my friend couldn't run a lap on the track in them if his life depended on it.

We have different feet on different bodies that run differently, so each of us require different shoes. Our personal opinions on shoes, while both right for us, can't be applies to the other person.

but i asked for personal opinions so....
  • thatsillyshana23
    Options
    I bought some New Balance and Nike cross trainers today. I spent more than I wanted to, but oh well. And I had to look up what cross trainers are. I bought one for work and one for the gym. Hopefully these will last as long as my old ones!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a favorite brand/brands, based on what works best for them. Personally, FILA and Adidas tend to work best for me, and last longest. I got a pair of FILAs at JCPenny last weekend for $50.

Someone upthread mentioned Avia (I've only seen them at Walmart, and they typically run $20-$25, though I've gotten some on clearance as low as $7), and I can get away with those for wearing to work, but they tend to not have enough cushioning or flexibility to them for me to wear for most workouts.

Believe me, I understand being on a budget- I used to refuse to spend more than $20 on shoes. But good shoes really are a worthwhile investment, and they tend to last far longer than cheapos. Good brand name shoes can be had for as little as $30-$40, as long as you're not picky about cute or trendy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If you have the budget and want shoes for RUNNING i would go to a running store to be tested.

I don't run (ever, unless maybe there was a zombie after me, but thats pretty unlikely right now) and was fitted and bought from a running store.

best decisions EVER. I told them what I needed them for, told them my preferences, light weight, flexible, etc) and they were right on the money on setting me up in the right pair for ME.

I think I spent around $80 (they were on sale). Now, I can buy the same ones online since I know I love them and they work for me, but in the future when I am looking for a new (different) pair, I will most definitely be going back!

As far as what i have - adidas boston 4

i have a pair of nikes (not sure the specific kind) that i like okay for normal wear around the house or grocery shopping, but for working out they literally make my feet BURN. My old new balances (Which i wore for years until they fell apart) were also great for daily wear and even for walking, but for working out caused a lot of knee and back problems (for me)
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    At least have someone determine if you need a regular shoe or a stability shoe. An expert can watch you walk/jog and see if you overpronate. I personally have to wear a stability shoe.

I like Asics and Saucony the best, but i have worn brooks and new balance in the past. it's all personal preference. Once I found Asics Kayano I don't think i will go back
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I live in a very small area that is a long drive from any actual shoe store so I had to just read a lot online about different shoes and go to every store in town trying on shoes. I ended up choosing under armour shoes because they felt the best to me.. They're very light and have a breathable mesh material. I've never seen anyone suggest them on any posts about shoes but I like them! I also have a pair of new balance that I wore when I was housekeeping and they were comfortable for all of the walking but I didn't love them for running.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I bought some New Balance and Nike cross trainers today. I spent more than I wanted to, but oh well. And I had to look up what cross trainers are. I bought one for work and one for the gym. Hopefully these will last as long as my old ones!

OP I hope your shoes work for you since I swear no one listened that you weren't really a runner.

In my experience, Niles don't last that long. I had a pair of their court shoes (tennis) and didn't even last the 3ish month season in high school.

New Balance are typically great quality
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

OP I hope your shoes work for you since I swear no one listened that you weren't really a runner.

In my experience, Niles don't last that long. I had a pair of their court shoes (tennis) and didn't even last the 3ish month season in high school.

Okay...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Kelamb10 wrote: »
    Can i make a suggestion. How about going to a good running store to find out what you should be wearing ( not all shoes are for all people) then go find them online or last year model at a store

That's pretty parisitic behaviour.

Agree.
  • thatsillyshana23
    Options

lmao! I probably should have mentioned my lack of running more >.<

My Nikes are for work so I hope they last a while.