Seeking Advice: Surviving the Weekend

Options
Kourui
Kourui Posts: 32 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that weightloss is 75% diet, 25% exercise (Approximately) I know the right foods to eat and what exercises to do. Heck sometimes I make it into the gym after work on Fridays. But the weekends I keep losing my discipline and ruin the work I did over the week.

So what things, tips, or tricks have you done to keep yourself on track on the weekends?

Edit: a word

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Kourui wrote: »
    I know that weightloss is 75% diet, 25% exercise. I know the right foods to eat and what exercises to do. Heck sometimes I make it into the gym after work on Fridays. But the weekends I keep losing my discipline and ruin the work I did over the week.

So what things, tips, or tricks have you done to keep yourself on track on the weekends?

No, weight loss is 100% diet. Exercise is for fitness, and an added plus because it provides other health benefits, but also helps create a calorie deficit so you can eat a bit more on the days you exercise.

For the weekends, I generally save up some calories- sometimes from the week before, and other times I eat less the week after a big food weekend.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Fit whatever it is you're eating into your calorie goal. If you're having pizza, eat a couple slices and fit it into your day.

Don't let the word 'weekend' be an excuse to let loose. Saturday and Sunday are just like the other days of the week. Get some exercise, log your foods, exercise moderation of all things and enjoy yourself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you can't stay on track on the weekends you're going to need to offset that by eating fewer calories during the week.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try and do some exercise. It will give you less hours thinking about food as well as a few extra calories at the end of the day.
    If you're out take a snack in your bag and only buy a low cal drink.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    weekends for me is learning moderation. one or two pieces of pizza. one or two drinks. i usually have much smaller breakfasts and lunches on the weekend since i know my dinners are usually bigger or at a restaurant. figure out what works. if u know where your going to be eating try looking up the calories beforehand
  • MK24551
    MK24551 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that the weekends are hard for me, no water what program or diet I was on. But it comes down to me not wanting to be fat anymore so now I have to make better choices. It is hard, no matter how you look at it, but you have to make a choice, and drink lots of water! Good luck!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, weekends for me are usually a wash. I eat what I want but, within reason. I always exercise both days so I don't feel so guilty. Oh that's right I NEVER feel guilt. Life is too short for guilt.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting your food choices during the week? If you've made a big dietary change M-F and are returning to your previous food choices on the weekend then maybe you can try a moderate change all week long.
  • Kourui
    Options
    Try and do some exercise. It will give you less hours thinking about food as well as a few extra calories at the end of the day.
    If you're out take a snack in your bag and only buy a low cal drink.

I like that idea. I usually have water. Pre-packing a snack. I find I run out of food by Friday.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Take the opportunity to get out and move. Plan days out that involve walking (trips to the zoo, park, shopping). Pack a lunch and take it with you rather than eating out. If you want a little extra at the weekend for treats, lower the amount of calories you consume during the week slightly.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to restrict myself to only eating sweets on weekends, so when weekend came around I wanted it ALL! Chips, candy, ice cream, you name it.
    Lately I've been fitting in sweets into my weekday calories. Some days I've had an ice cream, a chocolate bar and such, but I made sure to fit it into my calorie allowance.
    This helps me to not binge on those on weekends, since they're not restricted anymore, there's nothing really special about when I get to eat them, and I might as well have them any other day.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I tend to have order in on the weekend. But going into this I know that I will and I make it work into my calorie goals. I order less so there's no left overs, no way to eat it if it's not there. I don't keep junk food around or any trigger food. I keep stuff that I have to actually prepare so I can't just pick it up and find myself snacking endlessly. Find these little tricks that help you be in control. Also, do some work out on the weekends to give yourself a few more calories to eat if you have to. You can do it.
  • Kourui
    Options
    I tend to have order in on the weekend. But going into this I know that I will and I make it work into my calorie goals. I order less so there's no left overs, no way to eat it if it's not there. I don't keep junk food around or any trigger food. I keep stuff that I have to actually prepare so I can't just pick it up and find myself snacking endlessly. Find these little tricks that help you be in control. Also, do some work out on the weekends to give yourself a few more calories to eat if you have to. You can do it.

Getting smaller portions at restaurants is frustrating I find. I'm a big woman yes, but I don't eat large portions. I ordered a side dish of rice cause I didn't want a full plate of food. Guy loaded up the plate. I couldn't finish it. Nor did I force myself to try.

I find it's cravings or trigger food. I try not to think about it. But it follows me around.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I map my calories out for the week so that I'm either in a deficit, or at maintenance (whatever my goal is)...always leaving a good 2,500 calories for Saturday and a couple hundred extra for Sunday. Seems to be working and it's not hard to shave off a hundred calories here or there. With a larger deficit, and more weight to lose-you have to be quite mindful on how to approach this though, because you don't want to dip too low every day, making yourself hungry and not hitting macros, just so you can eat a crap ton on the weekends.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can around it.
    - For drinks, pick something like a vodka soda (low cal) or a Guinness (hard to drink it fast) or wine. No fancy cocktails; no lager (way too easy to drink for too many cals).
    - For brunch, get the eggs & bacon special, forgo potatoes or take anything more than 1/2 a cup off your plate. No eggs benny except for special occasions. Pancakes - just 1-2, get the light syrup. Careful with coffee if you like cream. If the place you're going to is one of those "big cheap breakfasts" places and the menu's full of huge portions, ask to reduce them ("just two eggs, please").

Those are my big weekend calorie suckers.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Kourui wrote: »

Getting smaller portions at restaurants is frustrating I find. I'm a big woman yes, but I don't eat large portions. I ordered a side dish of rice cause I didn't want a full plate of food. Guy loaded up the plate. I couldn't finish it. Nor did I force myself to try.

I find it's cravings or trigger food. I try not to think about it. But it follows me around.

Ask for a second plate before you start your meal and portion things off then.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've just gone back to work after a year on maternity leave, so the weekend makes no difference to me! I work 3 days so have a 4 day weekend, so I can't let that derail me! I exercise both weekend days anyway, unless my husband has to work.

If I were you I'd do a big workout at the weekend, and plan to have a treat day, so at least you can plan for the amount of calories. Also eat less during the week.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I focus on weekly goals instead of daily goals. I eat about 200 cals less than what my daily goal is (I eat 1500 instead of the 1700 I have as my goal) during the week M-F. That way I had additional calories on the weekend.
    So I ate about 1500 m-f this week. I then had 1880 cals on saturday, and had 2300 cals for today (I ended up only eating just under 2000 due to the way my day went but I could have eaten 2300). This makes it much easier to go out to eat and such on the weekends which is when I am more likely to go out to eat or want to snack with friends watching a movie. I still end up averaging 1700 cals.
    Keeping myself busy is another tool that is very helpful. In the mornings (since I don't eat breakfast) when I wake up I will stay in bed and go on my laptop. If I don't get out of bed, I can't get to the kitchen. I stay in bed till I need/want to do something. THen I usually get up and either go ride or do a workout (I usually do this fasted). Then I come back home, have lunch (usually around 1-3pm) then go and do whatever one I didn't do before (ride or workout) By the time that's all done it's usually around 3-5pm which means that it's getting close to supper and the rest of my day depends on if I am hanging out with friends/family or not.