I went from 121 to 127 in one day! How?

Options
I got weighed at the doctor's the other week and was 121 (the nurse used that tilting weight scale). I weighed myself the next morning on my digital scale which said 127.0. I've been exercising even harder and tracking how much I eat and what I eat and calories, even more. And every time I weigh myself now it's still 127.0. It hasn't even moved by a decimal yet I wondered why there was a 6 lb difference at the doctor's. Is my scale defective or is it possible to permanently gain 6 lb in one day without it budging for weeks?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Were you 121 on your scale before the doctor visit?
  • ItalianChick90
    ItalianChick90 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Honestly...I don't know. I hadn't weighed myself in a while before that. My scale was stashed away collecting dust.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I always weigh 5 pounds more at the doctors office than I do on my scale.
    I go by my home scale since I use that one most often.
    I just assumed that it happens to everyone.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why it's important to use the same scale, time and place. Find one and just use that one. You didn't gain 6 pounds, though you could have water retention, it's more likely the doctors was off from yours.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear.

could be water weight, excess sodium, time of month, who knows. look for an overall trend, not random numbers.

my weight fluctuates about 5 pounds in a day on a regular basis. Which is why i generally try to weigh and log once a week.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    and... what kind of scale do you have at home? some do not 'see' small amounts of under a pound or two. i think the weight watchers one is like that. (theres probably others too)
  • ItalianChick90
    Options
    and... what kind of scale do you have at home? some do not 'see' small amounts of under a pound or two. i think the weight watchers one is like that. (theres probably others too)

It's a digital Taylor scale.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It could be as simple as what time of day and weight of clothing. My scale and the doctor's will never say the same simply due to other factors. The biggest one is that I weigh first thing in the morning totally nekkid. That is NOT happening at the docs office no matter how cute he may be!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    oh yeah clothing.... i didnt think about that. and all scales are different. again. look at the overall TREND and dont worry about what ONE scale says ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Different scales, different time of day, different clothes on, in addition to all the normal weight fluctuations that occur in the course of a week.

I am always surprised when this question is asked. I guess I shouldn't be...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I got weighed at the doctor's the other week and was 121 (the nurse used that tilting weight scale). I weighed myself the next morning on my digital scale which said 127.0. I've been exercising even harder and tracking how much I eat and what I eat and calories, even more. And every time I weigh myself now it's still 127.0. It hasn't even moved by a decimal yet I wondered why there was a 6 lb difference at the doctor's. Is my scale defective or is it possible to permanently gain 6 lb in one day without it budging for weeks?

Different scale, different time of day, different conditions like more clothing
    Weigh in the morning after you use the bathroom but before you eat or drink anything. Use the same scale every time.
  • ItalianChick90
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Different scales, different time of day, different clothes on, in addition to all the normal weight fluctuations that occur in the course of a week.

What confused me was the fact that when I was 121 it was later in the day at the doctor's and my clothes were on. At 127 it was vice versa at home. You think it would be the other way around.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What confused me was the fact that when I was 121 it was later in the day at the doctor's and my clothes were on. At 127 it was vice versa at home. You think it would be the other way around.

Who knows. You probably aren't going to weigh in at the doctors regularly so I would pick the weight on the scale at home as your baseline and just measure progress from there. Continue to weigh about the same time of day and day of the week and under the same conditions for the most precision.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    different scales, different weights, not a good comparison ;)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Honestly...I don't know. I hadn't weighed myself in a while before that. My scale was stashed away collecting dust.

OK, so if you like the way you look and feel why care about the "official" number? It's two different numbers because it's two different scales and scenarios as explained above.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Except they are different scales. If you had weighed on the doctor's scale early in the morning naked and then again later in the day with clothes you would see the weight differences on just that scale due to being a different time of day and clothes.
    Stick to your home scale if that is what you will be using most often.