kettlebells

So does anybody here use kettlebells for their workout? I just ordered me a set of 15 lbs kettlebells off Amazon. Can't wait to get them. Looking for something else to use in conjunction with my daily walking. Any opinions and advice would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• DeterminedBexxx
    DeterminedBexxx Posts: 22 Member
    yep i use them- have a look on youtube for full body kettle bell workouts! ;)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    livefitrevolution.org has a whole 12 week workout schedule for free using kettle bells, plus its a neat health and fitness community. I absolutely love my kettle bells and am so happy I gave em a try, even after finishing that program and moving onto something different I still make sure to use them a couple times a week.
  • TonyaVanan1976
    TonyaVanan1976 Posts: 38 Member
    Awesome thanks for the opinions and I'll definitely have to check that website out when mine come in. I'm sooooo excited now to get them. I'll check out YouTube too. I saw them on pinterest and that is where I became interested in them :)
  • KettleBelle68
    KettleBelle68 Posts: 34 Member
    I love my bells and walk daily too. The exercise I do most is the kettle bell swing. It's a great overall body workout that gets your heart rate up and builds strength in a hurry. It's best if you can work with a trainer who can show you proper form to avoid injury. If a trainer's out (my case because of no extra $$), then please read/watch videos on the different exercises. Most importantly, have fun and get excited for the changes you'll see and feel! :smiley:
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Thank you :) i can't wait! Hope they get here soon. I saw that on pinterest the swing exercise with them and it looks fun but definitely a workout. Knowing my luck I would probably knock myself out with their lol
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    BE careful who you watch on youtube-it's riddled with people with bad form who clearly don't have training. Look for someone who has a RKC after their name. I recommend Lauren Brooks, Pat Flynn, or the one who started it all, Pavel Tsatsouline.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    BE careful who you watch on youtube-it's riddled with people with bad form who clearly don't have training. Look for someone who has a RKC after their name. I recommend Lauren Brooks, Pat Flynn, or the one who started it all, Pavel Tsatsouline.

This^

Good form will prevent injury.
  • escalada22
    escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
    I have one kettlebell at home that goes from 5lbs up to 15lbs just by adding a level. It came with a workout video and I was thinking I could easily swing a 35lb kettlebell at the gym this will be a piece of cake, but it wasn't! What a workout. There are so many things that you can do with a kettle bell, I too suggest looking on You tube!
  • TonyaVanan1976
    I really appreciate all the feed back people
  • KettleBelle68
    KettleBelle68 Posts: 34 Member

I should have said this too in my other post. Please do check out all the ones htim recommended. There are so many videos that show bad form. Read through some of the comment sections as well for feedback. Also, if interested in the swing, do a search on Tracy Reifkind. She is one of the best at teaching form. The success she's with changing her body and losing weight is amazing! She also is starting to put up her swing workouts on her blog/site. I have her book and did them all with that, but having her teach you while you do them is much better.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Love kettlebells! Just make sure you know the correct form otherwise you could injure yourself.

And don't be afraid of the heavier weights, I started off with an 8kg one and am now using a mixture of that and a 12kg one. It's worth pushing yourself to go a bit heavier when you have the form down.
  • tcbutler8627
    tcbutler8627 Posts: 279 Member
    Looks like I'm the only guy to post in here, at least so far, but I love kettlebells!!! My favorite workouts are with kettlebells. You can get such a great workout with them. For years I did heavy lifting with barbells, but after two rotator cuff surgeries and some problems with my neck(degenerating disc, bulging disc, and herniated disc), I've giving up on that. I'll be 44 in August and just don't need to do that heavy lifting any more.

I switched to mainly kettlebells for my workouts. I do some bodyweight workouts and some with dumbells, but mostly use kettlebells. The best thing is my body feels great now!!! I highly recommend kettlebells. And like others have already said, make sure you use good form and they should work for you!!
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Awesome. I already have a bad back so don't want to injure myself so I'm definitely going to check into all these suggestions. I'm gonna look Tracy Reifkind because watching videos and learning form from someone who has used them and got results with no issues is a good thing. Nice to hear that a guy uses kettlebells too :)
  • tcbutler8627
    Awesome. I already have a bad back so don't want to injure myself so I'm definitely going to check into all these suggestions. I'm gonna look Tracy Reifkind because watching videos and learning form from someone who has used them and got results with no issues is a good thing. Nice to hear that a guy uses kettlebells too :)

Good luck with them!!! I hope you enjoy using them. Let us know how they work for you.
  • TonyaVanan1976
    I will do that :) They should be here in a few days. I orders two and now realize I really only needed one I guess for most of the workouts I have saw.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    edited April 2015
    I use kettlebells! I alternate doing this and this. They both take only around 10 minutes.

Look for RyanRaw on youtube too.
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Cool thanks you actually showed me the workouts :)
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Be prepared for some bruises while getting form right.... ow! I didn't hire a trainer and managed to aquire many many bruises on my wrist the first few times. You tube saved the day again!
    Great fun on a rainy day! Best of luck!

(Seriously anyone else think kettlebells look like bunnies? I glued googly eyes on mine and a little nose and they look just like bunnies!)

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Looks like I'm the only guy to post in here, at least so far, but I love kettlebells!!! My favorite workouts are with kettlebells. You can get such a great workout with them. For years I did heavy lifting with barbells, but after two rotator cuff surgeries and some problems with my neck(degenerating disc, bulging disc, and herniated disc), I've giving up on that. I'll be 44 in August and just don't need to do that heavy lifting any more.

I switched to mainly kettlebells for my workouts. I do some bodyweight workouts and some with dumbells, but mostly use kettlebells. The best thing is my body feels great now!!! I highly recommend kettlebells. And like others have already said, make sure you use good form and they should work for you!!

I'm guy #2 here I guess then, lol. I use kettle bells quite often in my strength training routine but the swing is the main exercise. It gets my heart rate freeging screaming....moreso than running or cycling ever could. Only hard rowing has the same effect but the kettle bell swing is a torture test for the body.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    There are lots of KB workouts you can do with 2 - front squats, chest presses, walking lunges, etc. Enjoy using them!
  • tcbutler8627
    s2mikey wrote: »
    I'm guy #2 here I guess then, lol. I use kettle bells quite often in my strength training routine but the swing is the main exercise. It gets my heart rate freeging screaming....moreso than running or cycling ever could. Only hard rowing has the same effect but the kettle bell swing is a torture test for the body.

Oh yeah!!! The swing has to be my favorite kettlebell exercise. Even if the workout I'm doing doesn't have them in it, though most of them do, I'll throw in 2 or 3 sets at the end.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member

Yes. This.
    nekoface wrote: »
    Look for RyanRaw on youtube too.

No. Not this.

• TonyaVanan1976
    I'm sure I'll end up with bruises all over me in the beginning but that's ok I bruise easy anyways lol. It's awesome how many people apparent love kettlebells and use them rregularly. Let's me know I made a wise choice after all and something I'll get good use out of and see results with :)
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Got my kettlebells today. Does anybody know how you log kettlebell exercises on here cause I don't see anything for them under strength exercises?
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    I'm sure I'll end up with bruises all over me in the beginning but that's ok I bruise easy anyways lol. It's awesome how many people apparent love kettlebells and use them rregularly. Let's me know I made a wise choice after all and something I'll get good use out of and see results with :)

I've been using kettlebells for a while and I still bruise. Partly because my snatch form is not that great, but partly just from the weight of the bells. Be forewarned, though, you'll outgrow 15 pounds REALLY quickly. I still have one 15 that I use to work on form in new exercises but I don't use it for actual workouts.

• TonyaVanan1976
    I tried them out tonight for a bit and I can definitely tell I did lol. I wish I had the money to buy a set of different sizes