Apple watch exercise ring

I held out for the Apple Watch and I'm finding it motivating for the exercise. It does not recognize my dog walk for the time input in. I walked 40 minutes and it gave me 20. I don't know if my heart rate didn't go up enough? At one time it slipped down on my wrist and I had to re enter the passcode. It went into pause during that time. Any ideas?

Replies

• Heatherkw2014
    Heatherkw2014 Posts: 6 Member
    It's possible it could have paused. During a workout it uses the heart rate monitoring constantly. I've been making sure I wear it snug during a workout to make sure I get the best experience. Also if you are not moving at a brisk pace or above it won't give you an exercise credit. So if you had to stop or slow down at any point it may not have counted that. I've had it happen during my walks with my dogs.
  • whothat270
    whothat270 Posts: 1 Member
    Did you record it as outdoor walk or as other? If it's other, it seems to use predominantly heart rate, while outdoor walk it uses steps.
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    I walked with the app twice today. Both times it didn't count some time as exercise. I think I was going too slow. It bothered me at first but then I figured it counted in the workout app and maybe I need to pick up the pace and not smoke while I'm walking.
  • BIGBMF
    Doing the same thing even more today. Out of 128 minutes it gave me 12. Still short of my 5 mile a day goal so after age of ultron I'm gonna jog a short distance and see if it counts all of it.
  • BIGBMF
    Ok I can pretty much confirm that the Apple watch only considers walking an exercise if your going over 3.5 miles an hour.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    I don't have an Apple watch, however, my suspicion is that you have to be moving continuously at an aerobic pace for some period of time for it to credit you for active minutes.

I have a simple Omron pedometer and if I walk continuously for less than ten minutes, it will record my step count, but does not label the time as "aerobic minutes". I have walked on the treadmill at paces as low as 2.7mph and it still gives me credit for aerobic minutes (after ten minutes of continuos activity).

On a dog walk, where you might be starting and stopping a lot, I can see how your Apple watch might not be crediting it all as active.

Does Apple have FAQ web site for the Apple Watch? You might want to check it out.
  • lhanson0851
    lhanson0851 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for all the information. I will up my speed and see what happens.
  • TCCot
    TCCot Posts: 1 Member
    The exercise ring needs vast improvement. It is very inaccurate. I just finished a 40 minute walk using the outdoor walk mode, with a really great motivational Nike interval training tape. My heart rate was over 95 the entire 40 minutes and around 105 during the five 3 minute intervals. It gave me credit for a measly 10 minutes of exercise. I'm just going to ignore that ring until Apple gets it act together.
    TC
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I don't think the exercise ring moves in response to heartrate but rather to pace when walking. My walking heartrate rarely exceeds 80 but the exercise ring moves if I walk fast enough. I think 3.5 mph is the speed you need to be walking to get exercise credit.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited June 2015
    TCCot wrote: »
    The exercise ring needs vast improvement. It is very inaccurate. I just finished a 40 minute walk using the outdoor walk mode, with a really great motivational Nike interval training tape. My heart rate was over 95 the entire 40 minutes and around 105 during the five 3 minute intervals. It gave me credit for a measly 10 minutes of exercise. I'm just going to ignore that ring until Apple gets it act together.
    TC

Or, you could take the exercise ring to heart and push yourself to pick up the pace a bit.