I finally got past my plateau!!!

Options
IryshWhiskey
IryshWhiskey Posts: 20 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hey all,

I just needed to tell someone who might actually understand/care. I currently weigh 235lbs (topped at 283 a few months ago). Two years ago I joined MFP and worked my butt off (or so I thought), but was completely unable to ever get below 236lbs. I dieted, exercised, stressed about it day and night but nothing made a difference. I eventually gave up and went back to my old habits.

Last year my husband and I moved and needed to start saving money. So I began to cook every night which had the added bonus of helping me get back down to 242lbs. I decided 2 weeks ago to finally freakin' DO IT! To just LOSE THE DAMN WEIGHT! So I started eating smaller portions and walking more. That week I lost 6lbs and was - dun dun dunnnn - back to the cursed 236lbs. I freaked out. I stressed out. I just knew it was over. I was done losing weight. I actually gained weight this week and was 239lb on Friday. But then I decided to start really watching what I ate. I started literally measuring out tablespoons and cups and did whatever it took to get at least 10k steps a day. (Hooray Fitbit!)

Over the last 48 hours of noting every tiny thing that goes in to my mouth, and exercising harder than ever, I'm down to 235lb. Now I know weight fluctuates, and it's just 1lb, but seriously, I never saw that number two years ago. I nearly shed a tear when it showed up on the scale.

I won't get too excited about this until I continue to lose weight, but right now I feel like Wonder Woman. I had to work hard, I had to eat less than 1200 calories and TONS of fruit and veggies, but I didn't die. I didn't whither away. This is so doable and I just jumped over my nemesis hurdle. Mentally and physically that finally made it possible to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a year to go, but damn it, this time I'm not stopping until I'm thin!

Thanks for reading guys. If anyone out there understands where I am coming from, please message me. I don't add random strangers because I don't feel motivated by shallow likes and fluffy comments on my progress; but if you want real support, and someone who will really push you (or if you want to help push me), then please, let's do this!

<3

Replies

• Jobug8
    Jobug8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @IryshWhiskey I totally understand where you are coming from. About 7 years ago I lost all my weight. I got to the perfect number. I could lose 15lbs one way or 15lbs the other and would of been within my weight range for my height.

Someone complained that I was too skinny even though there were people close to me who were taller and skinnier. It really hurt me and I gained all my weight back and more. So here I am trying to get myself back to where I was, but I have one number that is soooooo hard for me to get past. All I hear when I get close is them saying I am too skinny.

Lately I have the same attitude as you as I am going to get pass, and a couple of times I do by 1-2lbs. But then I get sick, PMS, or something else and I go right back to that number. It is sooo frustrating.

I am going to work hard this week and do what you are doing by watching everything I eat and measuring it all out. I think that is a good idea, and I am going to look for some healthy good recipes to try. I understand what you are going through and how you are feeling. I am part of a group on MFP and they have been great. So with the support of them and my amazing husband I will get pass it and crush it, just like you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Great job! Attention to detail is so important, and a food scale will help you help you on your journey a ton!
  • IryshWhiskey
    Options
    @Jobug8 I'm so glad to hear others out there have been there, and so proud that you were able to get to your ideal weight once before. I can't believe anyone would call someone "too skinny" who has just managed the gargantuan challenge of hitting their goal. Well, I guess it's better than being called "too fat." We've all heard that enough. -_-

Maybe I'll look in to some groups. I could use the support of people who really get it. My husband is eating a bowl of icecream next to me as I type this. So yeah... I'm gonna need to find support elsewhere, hahaha.
  • IryshWhiskey
    Options
    @arditarose Is that you in the pic? You look amazing! Haha, the food scale is being shipped from Amazon as we type. I can't wait!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    @arditarose Is that you in the pic? You look amazing! Haha, the food scale is being shipped from Amazon as we type. I can't wait!

Thank you! Down 30 lbs. So funny you got the scale coming lol. Such a great tool.
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, good job to you. It is definitely possible to live a healthy lifestyle, and many who are close to me are 'afraid' that they'd have to give up their favorite movies, but simple things like changing portion size, or even when you eat can make a significant impact. Also if you 'train' your body to eat healthier, you start to develop a natural distaste for unhealthy food, or at least based on my own experience. I can't eat pizza, or anything really oil, or my stomach gets sick. Salads can be very tasty, and after your exercise, that endorphin rush is something I never get tired. Mix things up, believe you can do it, and the results will come with it.

Good luck to you :)
  • gelsdon
    gelsdon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    suzaka wrote: »
    This is awesome, good job to you. It is definitely possible to live a healthy lifestyle, and many who are close to me are 'afraid' that they'd have to give up their favorite movies, but simple things like changing portion size, or even when you eat can make a significant impact. Also if you 'train' your body to eat healthier, you start to develop a natural distaste for unhealthy food, or at least based on my own experience. I can't eat pizza, or anything really oil, or my stomach gets sick. Salads can be very tasty, and after your exercise, that endorphin rush is something I never get tired. Mix things up, believe you can do it, and the results will come with it.

Good luck to you :)

I agree with everything Suzaka says... I hit a point where the darn scales stopped moving.

My advice is weigh yourself once. Week at the same time on the same day every week. I do first thing on a Monday. Log it every week. I also note it in a spreadsheet and make noted of wjen events are coming up. Helps me to have mini targets to aim for.

Try jot lemon water first thing in the morning too. That's a winner for me.

Let me know how it goes!

• vickymcnaughtdavis
    vickymcnaughtdavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ah I know where you are coming from. I recently started to add a few pounds, which is making me worry that I am going to start gaining more weight. When you are in a relationship it becomes more difficult, because you share meal times with your partner, who by virtue of being male can eat a lot more than you!

The things that have really helped me are -

- Cutting back on my alcohol consumption
    - Keeping a faithful MFP diary every single day!
    - Exercising regularly and walking as much as I can conveniently fit into my day
    - Portion control (weighing food if necessary)

What doesn't help is exercising too much to maintain your weekly routine, skipping meals and eating oily foods.

Be realistic and remember to look after yourself :)

x
  • Luzz4
    Luzz4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your post. I've been at a standstill for weeks!!!! I'll keep going like you did!!!!