Healthy weight to lose per week?

Options
Hi there! I started using MyFitnessPal about 3 weeks ago and have lost 3.5kg. But I remember hearing that the healthy amount to lose per week is 0.5-1kg? Could losing weight too quickly be bad for health? A bit worried here.

Replies

• olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose, you'll always lose super fast in the first month or so when you start dieting. Make sure you are eating enough calories, but you should be fine. It will slow down later. The average rate of loss is 0.5-2lbs/week (not sure how that equates to kg). :)
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    TsaiHo wrote: »
    Hi there! I started using MyFitnessPal about 3 weeks ago and have lost 3.5kg. But I remember hearing that the healthy amount to lose per week is 0.5-1kg? Could losing weight too quickly be bad for health? A bit worried here.

Lol, you could be me, except I've been here 2 weeks. 3.6kgs, which means I'm halfway to my goal.... And back in a healthy/non-overweight bmi...

Sorry, don't want to post with no help/hijack, but I literally was gonna post the same thing!
  • TsaiHo
    TsaiHo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose, you'll always lose super fast in the first month or so when you start dieting. Make sure you are eating enough calories, but you should be fine. It will slow down later. The average rate of loss is 0.5-2lbs/week (not sure how that equates to kg). :)

I see! I guess it must be my body pulling me back to my normal pre-winter weight. 0.5-2lbs is about 0.2-0.9kg; though that's still a bit slower than my rate, but i do think I'm getting enough calories. Does it matter if I sometimes eat less than the 1200 per day? (My nutrition levels are on target.)
  • TsaiHo
    TsaiHo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    TsaiHo wrote: »

Lol, you could be me, except I've been here 2 weeks. 3.6kgs, which means I'm halfway to my goal.... And back in a healthy/non-overweight bmi...

Sorry, don't want to post with no help/hijack, but I literally was gonna post the same thing!

Lol, no problem. The question's been floating in my mind for some time. But wow! 3.6kg in 2 weeks! That is fast!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends

How much weight you have to lose - obese people can get away with faster

What kind of diet you are following - if you've cut carbs then a significant amount is water, actually any reduction in calories will give you a big water weight loss in the first few weeks

it will settle down

the best advice is to lose slowly to preserve as much LBM as possible as all weight loss is a mixture of water, fat and LBM .. you don't want to rip through your LBM, you need that and it's a bugger to rebuild