Protein Bars

Options
2»

Replies

• lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you want a food for the protein content only, I actually dislike most real "protein bars" - the mouthfeel is just not for me, they're usually very dense and dry out my mouth. I've had some actual protein dense bars and they don't settle well haha. I prefer getting a good amount of protein via whey or something which is 24g per serving, or a big serving of fish.

But I like bars for the grab and go aspect. The quaker bar I just ate has 10 grams of protein for 190 calories. Compare that to 24g for 120 calories for my whey protein. Obviously a huge difference - but I don't eat them for the protein only, I like the granola/chewy feel to it.

Just make sure you read the label and decide if it's actually got the macros you want. I got some bars the other week that said "protein!" on them but I think only had like 6g in them haha.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I generally don't care for bars but I do like the Think Thin Peanut Butter. 20g protein and 240 cal.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    New to Protein Bars. I understand how protein is in food such as meat and eggs but is the protein in protein bars a natural product or made up in a laboratory somewhere.

For protein powder, mostly it's whey, which is obtained from milk, so basically like the protein you get from dairy. Some are based on egg white or soy, and there are others for vegans who don't want soy (I guess) like pea protein and hemp. Looking at the two types of protein bars I have at the moment, the Quest seems to be whey/milk protein based, and the Think Thin seems to be a combination of whey and soy, with some casein (also a milk protein).

They usually have artificial sweeteners too.

There are other products that serve a similar purpose if you have an issue with protein powder or some of the other ingredients. I kind of like the Epic bars (similar calories and protein), but they will have more fat, fewer carbs, and not work for vegetarians as they are basically jerky.

I'd say read the ingredients and see if they work for you or not. I tend to prefer whole foods, for the most part, but don't have a problem with an occasional protein bar or shake (or adding some powder to my oatmeal, mainly) within the context of my overall diet. From personal experience it's kind of easy to start eating them basically as candy bars, so I try to watch for that, but I sometimes need something to eat when out and about and they are easier to keep in my purse and have available no matter what than some yogurt, and I tend to buy a bunch and have them at work, so have been eating them regularly just for that reason (which reminds me I should stock up on yogurt and berries for work).

Like Francl27, I don't really see the point of bars until the protein is about 20 grams/200 calories, so I tend to stay away from the ones that are really more carb-focused unless I'm biking or hiking and they seem like they'd taste good and are easy to carry. For easy to carry around carbs there are just too many other options that I like better, like a banana or really any fruit or dried fruit, and for fat with a bit of protein you can't beat nuts.

Thank you for such a thorough answer. It's great to know where the protein is from. I have bought some quest bars and hope to have them occasionally when I'm struggling to get something filling and healthy. I will probably keep one I the car or my hand bag. I have to say the first one I tried was a different texture to what I was expecting and I found it a little sickly. Think they called it cookies and cream or something like that. I have bought a pack off Amazon With different flavours and will decide over time which I prefer. Thank you for such great information. Have a good week.
  • auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Favourite for me: Horley's Carbless Crunch Protein Bar - chocolate crunchy nut - 50g bar. 174 calories, 15.9g protein. :p
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can beat quest bars for calories, protein and fibre.

I wouldn't call a bar with 10g of protein, a protein bar...