Help! I eat healthy and exercise and can't lose weight.

Options
Help!!!
I'm 21 y/o, female, 5'7" and 165lb. My BMI is about 24% last time I went to my doctor (2 weeks ago). I need to lose about 5 lbs mininum to meet my military requirements. (161 lb maximum)

I eat 90% healthy, but don't starve myself or deprive. I average around 1350 to 1450 cal a day of good foods- any less and I'm starving and miserable all day.
I also have an excellent workout routine - 4-5 times a week I do a combination of strength training and cardio.
Why haven't I lost a single lb?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? Do you weigh everything you eat with a food scale? Do you eat back your exercise calories? 24 is a healthy BMI so you won't lose weight very fast!
  • DeFYneME
    DeFYneME Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    have you checked your thyroid?
  • IsabelVillanis
    IsabelVillanis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? Do you weigh everything you eat with a food scale? Do you eat back your exercise calories? 24 is a healthy BMI so you won't lose weight very fast!

I've been dieting for about a month. I just was hoping for a teensy bit of progress by now... It's hard to stay motivated when I'm not seeing any changes :(
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

This; mostly, food scale. It is amazing how guesstimating can take you way over!
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options
    MsTinaSays wrote: »

I've never thought to. Maybe that's something I'll ask my doctor next time I see her. Thanks for the reply!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Isabelotis wrote: »
    MsTinaSays wrote: »

I've never thought to. Maybe that's something I'll ask my doctor next time I see her. Thanks for the reply!

Prior to that perhaps let us know if you use a food scale and log accurately and consistently.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    you're eating too much

weigh and log everything
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options

This; mostly, food scale. It is amazing how guesstimating can take you way over!

Weighing food is also not something I've ever done. Maybe that's the issue ! My general rule of thumb is to eat just enough so that I'm not starving all day. I can't imagine eating any less but if that's what I need to do... ! Thanks for the advice! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Have you been faithfully and accurately logging everything you eat?

You can eat healthy food, and that's wonderful, but the calories in healthy food can add up.
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    you're eating too much

weigh and log everything

Ok, I'll buy a food scale. Maybe that's the flaw here. Thanks!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Weighing food is also not something I've ever done. Maybe that's the issue ! My general rule of thumb is to eat just enough so that I'm not starving all day. I can't imagine eating any less but if that's what I need to do... ! Thanks for the advice! :)

If it were that east, most of us would be looking like top models with little effort ;)
    Get a scale, you will be surprised.
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You can eat healthy food, and that's wonderful, but the calories in healthy food can add up.

Yes I log obsessively. My fiancé wants to thrown my phone out the window sometimes ! I'm guessing accuracy might be an issue because sometimes I really do guesstimate on my portion sizes. Measuring and weighing everything seems overwhelming, but from the responses here it seems like something I should try.
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If it were that east, most of us would be looking like top models with little effort ;)
    Get a scale, you will be surprised.

Haha yeah that's true! Thanks again :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weighing is probably your issue. For a few days portion out the food you would eat, then weigh it and see if it's what you thought.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

This ^^

Good Luck and thank you for joining the Military. :)

Becca
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options
    Yeah, weighing is probably your issue. For a few days portion out the food you would eat, then weigh it and see if it's what you thought.

Ok- that's a good idea. Thank you! I'll give it a shot for a while. Hopefully this helps ;)
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options

This ^^

Good Luck and thank you for joining the Military. :)

Becca

Thank you! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Weighing food is also not something I've ever done.

thats the problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What you eat and when you eat it affects how hungry you are, so for me just eating to hunger wouldn't work. If you get an accurate count of your calories you can know what you are eating and either if something weird is going on--you aren't losing when it seems like you should be--or if you are eating too much. If the latter, you can figure out how to adjust your food so you won't be hungry.
  • IsabelVillanis
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

What you eat and when you eat it affects how hungry you are, so for me just eating to hunger wouldn't work. If you get an accurate count of your calories you can know what you are eating and either if something weird is going on--you aren't losing when it seems like you should be--or if you are eating too much. If the latter, you can figure out how to adjust your food so you won't be hungry.

Yeah, I'm willing to guess that I'm eating too much, even when I try to cut calories. I'm sort of terrible at consistency when it comes to meals, I tend to skip meals often (not intentionally, just busy). I think if I control the timing of my meals that will help too. It's tough! Thanks for the advice!