Transitioning from MyFitnessPal

Options
13»

Replies

• peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's hard to manage what you can't measure.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    peterjens wrote: »

If measuring is driving you nuts then it's in your best interest to learn strategies to succeed without measuring.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    peterjens wrote: »

If measuring is driving you nuts then it's in your best interest to learn strategies to succeed without measuring.

This is the bottom line. It's about the individual. Weighing and logging keep me food organized and sane, though I only do this at home. The moment it starts interfering with my day is the moment I look for another way to manage my weight.

You have to find what works for you.
  • TraceyLynn089
    TraceyLynn089 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. My wanting to transition from logging has nothing to do with the time it takes or the measuring. It takes next to no time to hop on to the app and log my food and measuring has become a constant for me....I actually continued to measure some things even during my week hiatus from MFP just because I know how easy it is to overestimate portions especially with things like cereal/granola. My wanting to transition is because have felt to a point that it has taken a control over me almost to an unhealthy point. (I absolutely am not one of the people that restrict calories to below a healthy goal). But, I get so concerned about each little calorie and sometimes forget to just listen to my body. During my training for an upcoming marathon I feel that I have made some definite progress in the mental aspect of balancing logging and not letting it control me...I had an IT band injury and my physical therapist suggested (without knowing I use MFP) that my diet may have had some contribution to my weakness. I also (sorry guys) went close to 3 months without a period. I was following MFP suggestions for calorie intake during this time have come to realize that there is no one size fits all for how much to eat. I have increased my calorie goals and now try to focus on listening to my body rather than focusing on the little calorie amounts (TRYING!! And this is why I was considering trying to transition from logging. For me it is hard NOT to focus on the calories when I see them while logging throughout the day). However, before, if I was getting close to my calorie limit and was still feeling hungry, I would not have eaten anymore for the day but now I will eat knowing that my body is telling me it needs more fuel and that is how I am trying to view my food now..it is fuel for my body.

All this being said, after reading the comments and thinking about what would benefit ME the most, knowing myself, I do think that I am going to need to be a long time logger. As much as I know what I need to do to eat healthy, MFP brings accountability to the equation and I think that for myself...I need that aspect in order to maintain. BUT, I do think that I will try what many of you suggested and perhaps start logging at the END of the day so that I am not keeping a running tally on myself all day long. I think that would be a good balance of keeping myself accountable and also not letting the numbers control me.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to convince yourself that you don't need tech items is to go on a vacation without them. Spend a week or two without internet access, you'll be surprised how quickly the craving for it goes away, jsut like the cravings for soda, or doughnuts did a few years ago.

This so true, I pick up my phone all the time to check Facebook. Last year I went away to a log cabin with no WiFi (which was amazing) I couldn't use my phone. I didn't use Facebook for around4 months :smile:
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options

All this being said, after reading the comments and thinking about what would benefit ME the most, knowing myself, I do think that I am going to need to be a long time logger. As much as I know what I need to do to eat healthy, MFP brings accountability to the equation and I think that for myself...I need that aspect in order to maintain. BUT, I do think that I will try what many of you suggested and perhaps start logging at the END of the day so that I am not keeping a running tally on myself all day long. I think that would be a good balance of keeping myself accountable and also not letting the numbers control me.

There's truth in everything that was said on both sides of this topic and the answer to the question is somewhere in the middle. Good job, good post and congratulations on your success.