Will I ever be a runner

Options
2»

Replies

• zianiH
    zianiH Posts: 68
    Options
    you will... trust me

My co-worker signed me up for 10K in Nov01, I have to force myself to run (have not been running for about 15yrs), the first time I ran... I cannot even continue after 5mins. I cursed my co-worker every single day as I have to push myself to train, I really really hated running back then. I have no choice but to train myself every day since the event is only two months ahead.

During that training, I never complete full 10K... it's always either 7K or maybe 8K. I was thinking gosh I am screwed! I won’t be able to do the 10K.. but surprisingly I can complete the whole 10K running(not walking) in 1hr 11mins... which is an accomplishment to me.

To answer your question, yes... you can be a runner, you will catch that runner high... You just need to be patient and keep on going little by little, do not focus so much on the 13.1m. Stick to it and try to enjoy it

Like most of our frens here, I never imagine myself as runner back then but now… I am proudly said that I am one of those & I love it
  • realredhead
    realredhead Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there!
    YES YOU WILL BE A RUNNER...YOU ALREADY ARE ONE, YOU ARE RUNNING!

I started running a year ago. I went from a 12 min/mile pace to about 10-10:30 minutes after loosing some weight.
    I have done one full marathon, three half marathons, two 10ks and lots of 5ks.
    This past weekend, i FINALLY broke through the 30 minute barrier and did my best 5k at 29:14.
    And that was with a nice hill!
    It's doable, it just takes time. Don't overdo it at first, and try not to be too competive at first. Now, I use a faster runner and try to stay right behind her as long as I can.

You can do this.
  • realredhead
    realredhead Posts: 14
    Options
    Hey there!
    YES YOU WILL BE A RUNNER...YOU ALREADY ARE ONE, YOU ARE RUNNING!

I started running a year ago. I went from a 12 min/mile pace to about 10-10:30 minutes after loosing some weight.
    I have done one full marathon, three half marathons, two 10ks and lots of 5ks.
    This past weekend, i FINALLY broke through the 30 minute barrier and did my best 5k at 29:14.
    And that was with a nice hill!
    It's doable, it just takes time. Don't overdo it at first, and try not to be too competive at first. Now, I use a faster runner and try to stay right behind her as long as I can.

You can do this.
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Options
    I would suggest slowing your pace down. I think especially when first starting out, it is important to simply complete your time or distance regardless of how long it takes...

I completely agree with the above.

I'm on week 6 of C25k. When I started I was desperate to catch the running bug but was *hating* it, couldn't run for 90 seconds. I started running with a friend who made me slow my pace down and it was a whole new experience. I've now totally caught the running bug. I love it, even the tougher days, just makes it feel like a bigger acheivment.

Keep trying, you'll manage it and you'll feel amazing for it.

Good luck!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    All of the advice you have gotten is brilliant so I wont add to it.
    I will tell you this though, the first run I ever did when I started 5 years ago I STRUGGLED to run for 30sec stretches.
    The second time out I nearly threw up lol.
    I still have ****ty runs, and yep the first couple of kms are usually filled with my brain cataloguing all the reasons why I should stop and go home. Once you get past that point though and actually get a couple of good runs under your belt you wont doubt yourself any more.
  • napiform
    napiform Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I've tried listening to music while running but I find it makes it much, much harder - I run too fast and I can't hear my breathing. I also find the stop-start of 3-4min songs distracting.

Now I listen to audiobooks a lot, which lets me choose my own pace (rather than running in time), hear my breathing and keeps me entertained! It's also safer, because I find that I can hear traffic more easily.

Highly recommended!
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, the C25K is AMAZING!!!

Don't think too much about it or worry the next run is 8 minutes long or whatever just do it and I bet you'll be surprised how well you do!!

I felt exactly the same, I had tried countless times to become a runner again and failed time after time, each time with a nasty injury.
    This plan will teach you to pace yourself, it'll teach you to breath right and it'll enable your joints to withstand the shock from running on the hard road.
    I completed it with no injury and now can go for a 45 minute run any time I like!!!

Just keep going!!! :flowerforyou:
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm finding from others, it is common to say "I can't do this" "This doesn't matter" "I'm not that good"... I've felt all these things too. Some days the whole run didn't feel good - I didn't feel good... but just put that talk to the side. Doesn't matter how big or old you are, what race or sex... or any other defining things you might be able to lean on to decide it isn't for you. As with many other things, the more you practice, the better you become. All runners, I believe, have good runs and bad runs, at all levels of fitness. I say, give it at least a few more months of solid training and see how you feel.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    p.s. 54 lbs. lost?!?!?! Crazy awesome.
  • Refisblind
    Refisblind Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Alright, thanks for all the advice. Today I slowed down the pace a lot. Or it felt like a lot. Really didn't run too much less on distance as I thought I would. The slow pace did make it easier. Heart rate felt good except on a few hills but I understand that. Felt like I was really holding back but at the end I felt like I could have run a lot longer. Next week is a big week in the program where I start the long runs so lets see how I do. Thanks for the support
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K two years ago. I found that running became easier once I was done with the intervals. I would just find my pace and have to walk again. Stick it out, you can do it! Like everyone here has said, the first 2-3 miles now are often painful, but after that it feels good! And everyone has a crappy run from time to time. It's all part of it. I have run in several 5K's 10K's and next weekend running in the Vermont City Marathon on a relay team with some people at work. My goal, too is to run in a half marathon. I wish you success! :flowerforyou: