Help! I eat healthy and exercise and can't lose weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Isabelotis wrote: »
    How long have you been dieting? Do you weigh everything you eat with a food scale? Do you eat back your exercise calories? 24 is a healthy BMI so you won't lose weight very fast!

This; mostly, food scale. It is amazing how guesstimating can take you way over!

Weighing food is also not something I've ever done. Maybe that's the issue ! My general rule of thumb is to eat just enough so that I'm not starving all day. I can't imagine eating any less but if that's what I need to do... ! Thanks for the advice! :)

This is the most common solution to the not losing problem because it helps you eat an accurate amount so you know you are at deficit. The good news is its something that will help solve your issue.
  • brucerc311
    brucerc311 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been in the Army for 6 years and not once made my screening weight 166 for 5'8 (though I'm getting close now). If you are healthy and fit, 5 lbs can be hard to lose, especially since you probably have a lot of muscle weight. 24% BMI is really good, this is why we have the tape test. So long as you pass tape and are happy with your fitness level, don't worry so much about the number on the scale.

I also weighed my food for a period of time; I was shocked at the difference in portion sizes. After a while, you will be able to more accurately judge how much is on your plate without weighing, but the scale is a great place to start. I still have it on my counter to avoid underestimating!

If you have a Wellness Center on your post, I highly recommend making an appointment with them, they've helped me immensely!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    MsTinaSays wrote: »
    have you checked your thyroid?

OMG, yeah, because after not losing weight for one month it MUST be hormones . . . . .
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is not 24, it's 25.8 at 5'7" and 165 pounds. Possibly you mean body fat %?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting? Do you weigh everything you eat with a food scale? Do you eat back your exercise calories? 24 is a healthy BMI so you won't lose weight very fast!

This; mostly, food scale. It is amazing how guesstimating can take you way over!

Weighing food is also not something I've ever done. Maybe that's the issue ! My general rule of thumb is to eat just enough so that I'm not starving all day. I can't imagine eating any less but if that's what I need to do... ! Thanks for the advice! :)

Actually weighing food on a kitchen scale can be really eye opening. You can get one for under $20 and it's a great place to start :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food.... I was definitely probably eating 3000 calories a day before I started weighing everything.
  • mr21mr21
    mr21mr21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What is your average daily sugar and carb intake? Cutting these back was very effective in my weight loss
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    adjust your food intake to have a macronutrients ratio (total calories) of 60% Healthy fats, 25% protein and 15% from healthy carbs. I eat like this.. never hungry and losing body fat and gaining lean muscle. Good luck
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the food scale. You're probably underestimating. However, over time, you will start to be able to guesstimate. I know what 4 oz of lean meat looks like now. And when I cut up a chicken breast and throw it on the scale, I can get pretty close. It takes practice. Also, make sure the scale you get has grams as an option. I weigh peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc. They list the imperial serving size too on the package, but I've found that a 1/2 c. of cottage cheese vs. 110 grams of cottage cheese can be completely different depending on how tight you pack that 1/2 cup. Better to use weight when you can. I brought taco salad to work today. Last night I weighed everything and got it packed up to go. You just have to make the time. It can be a giant pain in the butt, but it pays off.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

OMG, yeah, because after not losing weight for one month it MUST be hormones . . . . .

QFT!

OP, I agree, the scale will help tremendously.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If it were that east, most of us would be looking like top models with little effort ;)
    Get a scale, you will be surprised.

Or highly disappointing in how much smaller her portions should be ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    adjust your food intake to have a macronutrients ratio (total calories) of 60% Healthy fats, 25% protein and 15% from healthy carbs. I eat like this.. never hungry and losing body fat and gaining lean muscle. Good luck

Um, no. I have no idea where you're getting these numbers, but you can't possibly know what would be best for the OP. Not to mention that the way to gain muscle is to strength train while eating at a surplus or at least maintenance. If it works for you, that's great, but that does not make it applicable to everyone.

I recommend you ignore this, OP.
  • Ame_ly
    Ame_ly Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you weight everything you log? If you don't you should start doing so. Also just because something is heathy for you doesn't mean it's good for weight loss: almonds are really healthy, same with olive oil but they're both also quite high on calories.

My motto is if you're gonna be on a diet at least be serious about it. What's the point of denying yourself that pizza if you're not gonna lose weight anyways because of something else you ate? So be strict about your diet while having small cheat meals once a in a while instead of not paying enough attention to your diet and neither losing weight nor eating the things you want. :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

It's amazing how many people suggest this first off without asking for the necessary details from the OP; as said, it is mostly people not weighing their food accurately that sabotages weight loss, not medical problems. It's all in the details!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's amazing how many people suggest this first off without asking for the necessary details from the OP; as said, it is mostly people not weighing their food accurately that sabotages weight loss, not medical problems. It's all in the details!

people like an excuse
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

According to the MFP forums there is an abnormal outbreak of Thyroid issues. ;) I think we need to call the CDC
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Hi 60% fats?
    Is it okay to eat so much of fat when you want to do weight loss.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Hi 60% fats?
    Is it okay to eat so much of fat when you want to do weight loss.

that was stupid advice

but in terms of macros and pure weight loss it does not matter where the calories come from - some choose keto which is low carb high fat

health and fitness might be a different answer but for pure weight on the scale - no matter
  • IsabelVillanis
    IsabelVillanis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been able to respond to everyone's replies!
    I'll take all this advice into consideration.